Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Remaining holes in GA intel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Remaining holes in GA intel
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What's with the attitude guys? I'm sensing an attitude. I'm simply trying to collate everything the GA doesn't know. Not what I don't know. I still don't know what the disconnect is that I've supposed to have missed, but I won't dwell on it.

If you all agree this thread isn't interesting, so be it. I'm done fighting and showing you different. Adios.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:05 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:What's with the attitude guys? I'm sensing an attitude. I'm simply trying to collate everything the GA doesn't know. Not what I don't know. I still don't know what the disconnect is that I've supposed to have missed, but I won't dwell on it.

If you all agree this thread isn't interesting, so be it. I'm done fighting and showing you different. Adios.

Manticore is going to want to be sure it isn't given disinformation. In WoH there was mention that the Ballroom got the Andies to move in on a slaver system by feeding them false information; and the Malign has been pulling everyone's strings. Intel that leads to Fleet action needs to be verified--planets don't run away.

What Zilwicki and Cachat will start out doing won't be too exciting.

Without knowing Zilwicki's process of search leaves huge holes in what data we know about--but there wasn't time before he had to bail for him to do a lot of genealogical research.

Start with some knowns: like, Aldona Anisimovna and Bardesano. Continue with a list of names of Simöes' fellows at the Gamma Center, seek out living relatives, schools and teachers, graduate program advisors. Correlate data with the online public records; and draft both genealogical charts and relationship diagrams(hierarchy in Gamma, etc)--and searching for living relatives--might be one way to push forward on identifying someone the Malign missed.

The book made note of the fact that Collin's networks on Haven and Manticore were going silent, and it won't be long before they notice that it is happening on Earth as well. While the Malign may be able to churn out cookie-cutter spies, it will take time to get replacements, and get them into place.

How well that works out for the Sollies will depend on how many systems remain in the League, and how many systems- not necessarily in the Verge--decide the time is ripe for a New Order; I rather doubt all the system administrators (Governors, Kings, Presidents) will be able to resist reaching for more power if it looks like a vacuum.

Of course, the lack of any data allows the author to write whatever he likes, without contradictions. :D

Rob
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:25 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
cthia wrote:What's with the attitude guys? I'm sensing an attitude. I'm simply trying to collate everything the GA doesn't know. Not what I don't know. I still don't know what the disconnect is that I've supposed to have missed, but I won't dwell on it.

Manticore is going to want to be sure it isn't given disinformation. In WoH there was mention that the Ballroom got the Andies to move in on a slaver system by feeding them false information; and the Malign has been pulling everyone's strings. Intel that leads to Fleet action needs to be verified--planets don't run away.

What Zilwicki and Cachat will start out doing won't be too exciting.

Without knowing Zilwicki's process of search leaves huge holes in what data we know about--but there wasn't time before he had to bail for him to do a lot of genealogical research.

Start with some knowns: like, Aldona Anisimovna and Bardesano. Continue with a list of names of Simöes' fellows at the Gamma Center, seek out living relatives, schools and teachers, graduate program advisors. Correlate data with the online public records; and draft both genealogical charts and relationship diagrams(hierarchy in Gamma, etc)--and searching for living relatives--might be one way to push forward on identifying someone the Malign missed.

The book made note of the fact that Collin's networks on Haven and Manticore were going silent, and it won't be long before they notice that it is happening on Earth as well. While the Malign may be able to churn out cookie-cutter spies, it will take time to get replacements, and get them into place.

How well that works out for the Sollies will depend on how many systems remain in the League, and how many systems- not necessarily in the Verge--decide the time is ripe for a New Order; I rather doubt all the system administrators (Governors, Kings, Presidents) will be able to resist reaching for more power if it looks like a vacuum.

Of course, the lack of any data allows the author to write whatever he likes, without contradictions. :D

Rob

You have been reading Rummsfield!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Known_and ... :_A_Memoir

The RMN needs to know only one thing to be victorious.
How do we track Mesa's ships and graser torpedoes?
Once manticore answers this question, Mesa is up feces stream without a propulsive device.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:A "drive-by" sounds too much like "Parthian Shot" to me.

In the event the Author allows them a clue, the first op is reconn, not raid. Drop out of hyper several light weeks out, and soak up emissions while you use stealth to approach, and Ghost Rider drones to scope out significant areas of interest --like manufacturing nodes and defensive systems. And to check for any response--like, can they find us now that we are here? How sensitive are their deep-space arrays?

Something they did to every Havenite system they invaded. Monica too, although they weren't using their own scout, just their drone. This part of the action is totally predictable--once they have a clue.

Rob

Parthian Shot was intended to be aimed at civilian infrastructure. Darius represents an enemy with some unknown tech, it seems to me that once you've learned as much as you can with drones it might be a good idea to c-frac the clearly military things in the system and then sit back and watch what happens after you've kicked over the anthill. Their ships are very stealthy but they can't remain deployed forever, they'll have to come in to the remaining civilian bases (are there even any? Leaving the system is obviously not permitted to the average person) and can be identified--perhaps even destroyed.
Post by kzt   » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:12 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Unlike manticore, it’s probable that the MAN actually runs bubbles on their main military bases. All the time. People tend to plan how to handle their own tactics.

Not to mention that when you have essentially no traffic it’s pretty easy to spot hyper signatures. A slow moving really stealth RMN DD is really in a lot of trouble when the 30MT spider pops out of stealth a light second away.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:23 pm

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:Unlike manticore, it’s probable that the MAN actually runs bubbles on their main military bases. All the time. People tend to plan how to handle their own tactics.

Not to mention that when you have essentially no traffic it’s pretty easy to spot hyper signatures. A slow moving really stealth RMN DD is really in a lot of trouble when the 30MT spider pops out of stealth a light second away.

But how far out do the sensors extend? If I were probing enemy HQ I would do so from light-months out.
Post by kzt   » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:55 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:But how far out do the sensors extend? If I were probing enemy HQ I would do so from light-months out.

Manticore's runs out a very long way. There isn't apparently anything special about Manticore's other than the scale. Given this is a primary strategic strike tactic used by MAN, they probably are pretty far along in planning how to counter it.

And if you are the only ship running an impeller for a few light months it's really hard to hide that.
Post by Brigade XO   » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:32 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

The GA has some hints about the Alignment tech of Streak and Spider drive but nothing sold yet. Zilwick's thoughs about searching down shipping records of Mesa is going to take a fair amoung of time and that is without what may or may not have been destroyed when Albrect pushed that button. Of course, that doesn't begin to count the ships which were operating under false flags or somehow just not go on the Mesan records at all. All that movement of slaves and private yachts - like Firebrand got to use once the Alignment pulled him inside.

The same problem happens when you start looking for people like Aldona Anisimovna or relatives of "known" Alignment people like Jack McBride. Aldona is probably at Darius in the time frame of the attack on Beowulf. Jack's brother "died" in one of the many "Ballroom" attacks in that tidying up for Houdeni and although his parents and sister(s) didn't get swept away in the same attacks- or that we know of in Albrect's going away presents- they have no clue. All those Houdini speedup attacks killed a lot of people and sorting out who may or may not have been an Alignment person will be tough to sort out if not impossible. That also presumes that somebody in the GA starts investigating those deaths from the standpoint that the were to cover up people being extracted from the planet.
I'm fairly sure that Henke and various ONI people will take a look at what might connect all those explosions which occured right after she secured the surrender of Mesa. Even if they surmise correctly that the explosions were to expunge any trace of Alignment activity/records/people from those locations, they will be having a bitch of a job trying to reconstruct who and what was there that was either off the books or were people who were working (and knowing they were working for) for the Alignment.

Messy

Return to Honorverse