Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests

Remaining holes in GA intel

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Remaining holes in GA intel
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Remember this thread, Remaining holes in SLN intel?

I think its time for a comparable thread featuring what the GA is flunking out on. Oh! Oh! I'll start it off!

1. The location of Darius Gamma.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Remaining holes in GA intel
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Obviously, never having seen The Darius System or Darius Gamma, the GA isn't aware of the existence or status of any of the five space stations, like Darius Prime.

Considering the GA wouldn't know what the full capabilities are of the Alignment's Home System, it would be harder to plan or execute a drive-by or any kind of raid. Should the GA go off all half-cocked, or stalk the system getting intel? Will they find themselves enjoying the Gorilla's same dilemma of bringing home no intel, coming back empty-handed, or not coming back at all?

Will intruders die in the system before they can get a handle on the butcher's bill? I wonder if it'll be the same old child's play to drop a few probes in a system who's notorious for playing the game of stealth. Will the GA find it easy to get intel by sneaking in-system and leaving a few probes?

IOW, how does one mimic the SLN, or more concisely . . .
How do you bring home intel while you are dying, trying.

Don't know about you, but the question will finally be settled as to whose stealth is the 'Cat's Meow. Pun intended.

Last edited by cthia on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:40 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Considering the GA wouldn't know what the full capabilities are of the Alignment's Home System, it ...

The DA's sum total of 'Intel' on 'Darius' is that there is (probably) a Home System somewhere. They don't even know the name 'Darius.'
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

More like: There is probably at least one unknown system where these are constructed. However that may not be true, it might just be very well concealed from everyone in the system who might communicate it to outsiders. For example, around a gas giant in some corporate owned system or something else like that.

And there may be more than one system.
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:Considering the GA wouldn't know what the full capabilities are of the Alignment's Home System, it ...

The DA's sum total of 'Intel' on 'Darius' is that there is (probably) a Home System somewhere. They don't even know the name 'Darius.'

In addition to that, the GA don't know if there are any astrography problems precluding invading Darius Gamma, like a hiccup in the universe unique to the Darius System.

Post by Theemile   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:39 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:In addition to that, the GA don't know if there are any astrography problems precluding invading Darius Gamma, like a hiccup in the universe unique to the Darius System.

The Hiccup is in the "Twins", not Darius. Darius is a terminus of the Felix wormhole, like the Twins is, so there is no "direct" connection between the Twins and Darius.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Well, we can hope for a situation like the opening episode of Andramada and a black hole just happens to sneak up on an unsuspecting planet (systems never notice anything) with a battle fleet or two hanging about.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:In addition to that, the GA don't know if there are any astrography problems precluding invading Darius Gamma, like a hiccup in the universe unique to the Darius System.

The Hiccup is in the "Twins", not Darius. Darius is a terminus of the Felix wormhole, like the Twins is, so there is no "direct" connection between the Twins and Darius.

:lol:
Can't blame me if my knowledge is sketchy. I'm living in the Sol System. Information is hard to come by. Every time I question someone, they seem to inexplicably drop dead. It's a conspiracy, I tell you. An honest to god conspiracy.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that if you find or gain access to the offending system you can find the offending planet, even though there's supposedly only one. The planet may be another junction away. The Darius System could turn out to be another WHJ like the MWJ. It could turn out to be a Dyson's Sphere. 'OUCH!'

The kind of hiccup I was referring to is something a bit more complex than the situation caused by Sphix' peculiar orbit. At any rate, a hiccup closer to the planet. We don't know what harsh conditions the Alignment can live in. Thus the conditions of the solar system they chose, itself.

At any rate, here's a bit more than a bite off of caveat, I'd say . . .

<It's a p-r-e-t-t-y star. But show us the planet where the evil doers dwell>

I don't recall referencing Darius itself. But "Gamma" "Prime" and the "System."

Now, about those Twins. Do tell.

Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:16 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:The Hiccup is in the "Twins", not Darius. Darius is a terminus of the Felix wormhole, like the Twins is, so there is no "direct" connection between the Twins and Darius.

cthia wrote::lol:
Can't blame me if my knowledge is sketchy.
SNIP
The planet may be another junction away. The Darius System could turn out to be another WHJ like the MWJ. It could turn out to be a Dyson's Sphere. 'OUCH!'
SNIP
I don't recall referencing Darius itself. But "Gamma" "Prime" and the "System."

Now, about these Twins. Do tell.

Cthia, of course we can blame you when you don't remember your own original post. And the follow up Theemile quoted back to you, also mentioned it. :o

The twins are described in Torch of Freedom well enough.

Since Darius is at a terminus of another junction, it isn't a junction in itself--Felix is the center of this wormhole system. Also in ToF.

The Twins are in an otherwise useless system, a couple hundred light years from Torch. iirc, it is a red dwarf without inhabited systems nearby--so no reason anyone will visit. The connection to Felix Terminus has been suppressed as far as non-MAN elements in Mannerheim are concerned(the ones that know about the Felix Junction and are keeping their mouths shut). So what speculation are you trying to spark? Until an invasion fleet tries to sneak attack the backside of Haven, Torch's terminus and what it is connected to offer no data, and no reason to be in a hurry to get it.

Here is what the RMN know about the MAN--they have some good stealthy scouts (they caught a piece of that burst of targeting data to update the missiles/torpedoes)that were hiding well out of any area to be found (so maybe their stealth isn't perfect); the spider drive and the streak drives exist and need to be developed/researched; they did NOT have conventional ships with the same capabilities or very many ships at all, according to White Haven's /Caparelli's /Given's analyses post op.

The one significant fact they have (assuming Given's took home Roszak's sensor data from the battle of Torch) is that Technodyne (the only source) supplied Cataphract missiles for the attempted genocide, if anyone in the GA or the SLN has time to look into it. In the text, only al Fahnudafi /Teague may realize that. Given Technodyne's involvement in Monica, that may set up some inquiries--if the parties involved don't just drop dead.

And Manticore still has their merchant marine looking for new tech developments elsewhere, as I never saw in the text that they stopped doing that. That's eyes in many systems, with reservists listening to rumors. ELINT, SIGINT, HUMINT even if they aren't the top of the line sensors.

Mesa's university system is as good as anybody's, so they had the ability to develop this tech--but so did other folks. You cannot rule out collaboration with other entities (like hostile transtellars or systems). But building the ships, torpedoes and testing the various drives required enough resources to make it somewhat less than invisible if it was taking place somewhere in the League.

So, now all you have to do is check every habitable and inhabitable system, every red, white, brown dwarf for a research and development setup that may have preceded the Legislaturist power grab on Haven back in the mid-1700's. Which is at least one event the GA has (apparently) confirmed.

cthia wrote:Remember this thread, Remaining holes in SLN intel?

I think its time for a comparable thread featuring what the GA is flunking out on. Oh! Oh! I'll start it off!

1. The location of Darius Gamma.

Yeah, they are totally stupid not to have read the books.
The GA doesn't have an omniscient author filling in the background on the enemy. So this is their fault, right? :roll:

Regards,

Rob
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:35 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Obviously, never having seen The Darius System or Darius Gamma, the GA isn't aware of the existence or status of any of the five space stations, like Darius Prime.

Considering the GA wouldn't know what the full capabilities are of the Alignment's Home System, it would be harder to plan or execute a drive-by or any kind of raid.
SNIP

Cthia, for myself I hope he doesn't write too much on the op.

A "drive-by" sounds too much like "Parthian Shot" to me.

In the event the Author allows them a clue, the first op is reconn, not raid. Drop out of hyper several light weeks out, and soak up emissions while you use stealth to approach, and Ghost Rider drones to scope out significant areas of interest --like manufacturing nodes and defensive systems. And to check for any response--like, can they find us now that we are here? How sensitive are their deep-space arrays?

Something they did to every Havenite system they invaded. Monica too, although they weren't using their own scout, just their drone. This part of the action is totally predictable--once they have a clue.

Rob

Return to Honorverse