Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Post-Yawata Strike Survivors in Grayson

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Post-Yawata Strike Survivors in Grayson
Post by tlb   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:The repair bases at Hancock, San Martin, Basilisk, and Sidemore survive are are in use, as are the fleet repair ships. However, they are innundated with the basic repair and maintenance of the RMN and GSN fleets given the removal of the the 4 main repair facilities at Manticore and Blackbird.

Remember, the conversation in SVW was whether it would be more expedient to send the Nike back to Manticore where the SUPERIOR facilities could repair the ship quicker, or make the repair at Hancock. Manticore's facilities were used more for heavy updates and scheduled maintenance cycles (Like Carrier SLEP), and the repair yards were used for the lower level stuff.

The difference is probably Manticore/Grayson yards being similar to a car manufacturer's Dealership's repair shop, while the repair yard are closer to your neighborhood muffler shop. The neighborhood repair shop can probably fix it, but thy might not have the latest parts/tools/knowledge to do the job, and it will take longer to complete. (While a repair ship is more like the quick-change oil shop down the street - it will change the fluids and slap come tape/sealant on the holes, so you can limp back to the repair yards.

However Hancock Station could do this major replacement quickly enough that it was not worth expending the travel time for a round trip. Which means your analogy undervalues the repair yards. I expect that throughout the war the repair yards were more likely used for the scheduled maintenance cycles, leaving the major space stations to handle construction and heavy updates.
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Oyster Bay was envisioned as massive crippling blows to Manticore, Grayson and Haven but as it had to be rushed there were only enough (just) ships and weapons to hit the 3 major Manticore planitary orbit stations and almost all of the dispursed shipyards plus essentially everything for Blackbird . Not sure what elce was targeted but at both Manticore and Grayson but RFC said it was essentialy all the manufacturing and yards.
Have was dropped from the targeting to concentrate the ships and weapons on Manticore and Grayson

No, sneeking bombs into Manticore and Grayson (which also was using disbursed yards) wouldn't have the effectiveness since you can't get at all that other infrasture (and the yard crews etc).

The RF is going to be in an interesting place to take over as the savior of the "League" members since they are no longer going to just be sweeping up the pieces.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:52 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Brigade XO wrote:Oyster Bay was envisioned as massive crippling blows to Manticore, Grayson and Haven but as it had to be rushed there were only enough (just) ships and weapons to hit the 3 major Manticore planitary orbit stations and almost all of the dispursed shipyards plus essentially everything for Blackbird . Not sure what elce was targeted but at both Manticore and Grayson but RFC said it was essentialy all the manufacturing and yards.
Haven was dropped from the targeting to concentrate the ships and weapons on Manticore and Grayson

No, sneeking bombs into Manticore and Grayson (which also was using disbursed yards) wouldn't have the effectiveness since you can't get at all that other infrasture (and the yard crews etc).

The RF is going to be in an interesting place to take over as the savior of the "League" members since they are no longer going to just be sweeping up the pieces.

Haven was not included because this was an attempt to keep the Malign's preferred opponent for the SLN from losing the war. They saw that Apollo was a decisive weapon and rushed to keep it from being fully deployed.

If KZT is correct that a massive enough bomb would be enough to wreck the assembly lines at HMSS Hephaestus, assuming also that the Apollo missile production lines are there, then that alone would be enough to cripple further deployment of Apollo. But if the intent was to strike a massive enough blow to encourage Haven to attempt a second Battle of Manticore, then everything needed to be hit.

There are some theories concerning the course of action by the Malign after the end of UH. I look forward to see what RFC devises.

Question: do we know for certain where the Apollo assembly line was? For security I would think the initial run would at a space station without as much civilian activity.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:13 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Question: do we know for certain where the Apollo assembly line was? For security I would think the initial run would at a space station without as much civilian activity.

It’s all at the three stations. Once upon a time there was the unicorn yards, but they mysteriously disappeared...
Post by Brigade XO   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:27 pm

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
tlb wrote:Question: do we know for certain where the Apollo assembly line was? For security I would think the initial run would at a space station without as much civilian activity.

It’s all at the three stations. Once upon a time there was the unicorn yards, but they mysteriously disappeared...

I think I remember that the Unicorn Yards were at Weyland. So they are gone.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:31 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Actually, the one time they mentioned them they were clearly not at Weyland. The POV character was at Weyland talking about the prototype CLACs and mentioned something along the lines they been built out of sight of everyone at the Unicorn Yards. Which doesn’t make any sense if they were built at Weyland.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:01 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Actually, the one time they mentioned them they were clearly not at Weyland. The POV character was at Weyland talking about the prototype CLACs and mentioned something along the lines they been built out of sight of everyone at the Unicorn Yards. Which doesn’t make any sense if they were built at Weyland.

Yet David specifically said post-OB when I pressed him on the subject that the Unicorn Yards were on Weyland, NOT in the Unicorn Belt, and destroyed in the strike. In UH, the Hauptman Unicorn Belt facility was compromised of Asteroid Smelters being used to reclaim materials from OB wreckage and ex-SLN ships, and had no shipbuilding capability.

Personally, I think it's a retcon, because David wanted all construction facilities destroyed, and he forgot he referenced it early on, because your point makes total sense. Why use freighters to meet the Minotaur at Hancock, when the LACs were being built next door.

But... Authorial Fiat = cannon.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:42 pm

TFLYTSNBN

kzt wrote:

I suspect that Weber forgot about those yards.

Return to Honorverse