Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Police, Police, Police

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Police, Police, Police
Post by The E   » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:25 am

The E
Admiral

Dilandu wrote:
Then there's the question of how long before they will become a problem, sleeping with students and shooting teens for fighting.

...You understood that this is very far-fetched assumption?

Not as far-fetched as anyone would like.
Post by Eyal   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:11 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Along with the perception of a diminished environment (atmosphere) for the kids. I know I wouldn't have wanted armed guards walking around my school. And, intimidation. Especially when I'm sneaking off to score with the hot blonde I've been feeling up. Then there's the question of how long before they will become a problem, sleeping with students and shooting teens for fighting. Probably black teens, at that. Replace a problem with a problem.

And yet School Resource Officers - i.e. cops patrolling yhe school itself witn powers of arrest - seem to be pretty common...
Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:40 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eyal wrote:
cthia wrote:Along with the perception of a diminished environment (atmosphere) for the kids. I know I wouldn't have wanted armed guards walking around my school. And, intimidation. Especially when I'm sneaking off to score with the hot blonde I've been feeling up. Then there's the question of how long before they will become a problem, sleeping with students and shooting teens for fighting. Probably black teens, at that. Replace a problem with a problem.

And yet School Resource Officers - i.e. cops patrolling yhe school itself witn powers of arrest - seem to be pretty common...

In my day, better students did not attend schools with SROs because better parents did not live in school districts which have schools in need of [an] SRO. There is usually only one. That thing called "cost" again.

Dunno about your hometown/country, but in the US, SROs are exclusive to High Schools and are only onsite once or twice a week, part time. And that, for only 75% of High Schools. And, they are not new. Schools had them in the sixties, though their tasks were more to prevent disturbances, and tutoring. Initially, they were glorified Guidance Counselors.

Please Note:
Better schools do without the diminished environment. Dunno about the perception now, but affluent parents see schools "in need of" SROs as somewhere they WILL NOT send their kids. They have the rap of being drug cops in Inner City Schools -- where kids already carry bayonets, BB guns, stilettos, switchblades, tasers and guns.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Eyal   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:38 am

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:[quote="Eyal]And yet School Resource Officers - i.e. cops patrolling yhe school itself witn powers of arrest - seem to be pretty common...[/quote]
In my day, better students did not attend schools with SROs because better parents did not live in school districts which have schools in need of [an] SRO. There is usually only one. That thing called "cost" again.

Dunno about your hometown/country, but in the US, SROs are exclusive to High Schools and are only onsite once or twice a week, part time. And that, for only 75% of High Schools. And, they are not new. Schools had them in the sixties, though their tasks were more to prevent disturbances, and tutoring. Initially, they were glorified Guidance Counselors.

Please Note:
Better schools do without the diminished environment. Dunno about the perception now, but affluent parents see schools "in need of" SROs as somewhere they WILL NOT send their kids. They have the rap of being drug cops in Inner City Schools -- where kids already carry bayonets, BB guns, stilettos, switchblades, tasers and guns.[/quote]

We don't have anything like SROs here.

I remember seeing a documentary with a cop stationed at a primary school in what was described as an affluent suburb of Cleveland (at lest I think that's were it was, I saw it some time ago), so it's apparently not as rare as you're presenting these days.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:55 pm

TFLYTSNBN

My late father in law was at the High School that I attended, (a few years before I attended) as security for VP Hubert Humphrey who was attending a mock convention. He was standing on the roof with the principle when he noticed two teenaged males carrying a scoped, bolt action rifle from a car in the parking lot towards the school.

He asked the principal, "do you recognize the two teenaged males with the rifle?"

Principal: "Yes."

Sheriffs Deputy: "Are they good boys?"

Principal: "A liitle wild and crazy, but they are good boys."

Sheriffs Deputy: "Okay," as he watched them walk to the building with shop classes.

No one got shot that day.

One of those teenaged males became the publisher of a major, US Newspaper.
Post by gcomeau   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:My late father in law was at the High School that I attended, (a few years before I attended) as security for VP Hubert Humphrey who was attending a mock convention. He was standing on the roof with the principle when he noticed two teenaged males carrying a scoped, bolt action rifle from a car in the parking lot towards the school.

He asked the principal, "do you recognize the two teenaged males with the rifle?"

Principal: "Yes."

Sheriffs Deputy: "Are they good boys?"

Principal: "A liitle wild and crazy, but they are good boys."

Sheriffs Deputy: "Okay," as he watched them walk to the building with shop classes.

No one got shot that day.

One of those teenaged males became the publisher of a major, US Newspaper.

Good thing he wasn't wrong about their intentions, which he very easily could have been. And then what would have happened?
Post by cthia   » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eyal wrote:
cthia wrote:[quote="Eyal]And yet School Resource Officers - i.e. cops patrolling yhe school itself witn powers of arrest - seem to be pretty common...[/quote]

Please Note:
Better schools do without the diminished environment. Dunno about the perception now, but affluent parents see schools "in need of" SROs as somewhere they WILL NOT send their kids. They have the rap of being drug cops in Inner City Schools -- where kids already carry bayonets, BB guns, stilettos, switchblades, tasers and guns.[/quote][/quote]

We don't have anything like SROs here.

I remember seeing a documentary with a cop stationed at a primary school in what was described as an affluent suburb of Cleveland (at lest I think that's were it was, I saw it some time ago), so it's apparently not as rare as you're presenting these days.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

That's how it was in my day, mass shootings are beginning to change things.

Clearly things were different in my day, but then students didn't suffer the violence of mass shootings as they do now. The only time I heard about an SRO is when I traveled up North, Inner City Schools and problem schools. SROs are beginning to be used across the board, now, certainly in middle school through High School, since the fear caused by these mass shootings. And they're beginning to enjoy full time status, though there still is only one of them on campus. At any rate, I expect certain perceptions will not change. Albeit, mass shootings will undoubtedly change a lot of things. Which comes back to my question . . .

How long before SRO's become the problem? Note, this is a black, female student. SROs, certainly in racist communities, will soon become murderers of black teenagers.

For not putting away her cellphone.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Politics