Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests

OFS vs SLN

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by Potato   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:34 am

Potato
Captain of the List

Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Why the frack would OFS be wargaming against the SLN? Or even more pertinently, how? OFS is a civilian bureaucratic institution, not a military one. It has no warships under its command. This is like asking the State Department to wargame against the US Navy. It is a question that cannot be answered because it is based on an impossible absurdity. Here is how OFS would work in real life.
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:50 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

cthia wrote:FF would represent OFS in any games. It goes without saying. But FF is only of tangential concern. If traditional wargames are set up between the two, the heads of each faction would be responsible for the arrangement. That means OFS.

As to the purpose of the wargames? Why, it would be to serve the same purpose as it did in the Manticore Binary System. To sharpen and shave the gorilla to excellence. And to highlight the promising officers while exposing the Youngs and Santinos. But bracket that notion, I was simply gathering wool. It is secondary again to 'WTF happened to cause OFS to sit idly by and allow this SituatioN to get All Fucked Up.'

Personally, I've traced the blame back to OFS as the likely suspect to have dropped the ball. We ain't gonna blame everything on this hidden entity. Or the Mandarins.

OFS's implied responsibility (bailiwick) is insinuated to be much deeper than you allow.

I'll slow up even further, while dodging accusations of insanity induced by insomnia.

Peer under the skirt and take a peek for yourself. Go on.


A metaphor for upskirting? How is that relevant? I thought you didn't deliberately yank our chains?

I bolded the parts I will address.

First point bolded: traditional wargames would not involve the civil administration AT ALL. You think state governors today go out and micromanage the National Guard summer camps? You think they go out to Fort Carson (Colorado) to oversee the brigade on brigade action? or out to NTSC (Ft Irwin) to look at divisions in conflict? Military training is kept under the control of the military. The fact that the president is the commander in chief doesn't mean he spends weekends in CENTCOM micromanaging the Middle East. There are layers of bureaucracy at all points in real life; at no time, other than ok'ing the op, does Verrochio interfere with the Yucel's Gendarmerie training or the Naval forces under Thurgoode.

Second point bolded: prior to New Tuscany, why would the 'gorilla' be aware that it wasn't as sharp and capable as it thought it was? It had never run into anything or anyone it couldn't hammer flat.

And thinking again of bureaucrats, do you think McCartney would have needed to coordinate so closely with Rajampet if they allowed the civilian OFS stooges anything that amounted to total control? Or that Rajampet (or McCartney) would have let anyone that far down the totem pole have that sort of authority? Everything had to be justified up the chain. Letting anything from Monica hit the faxes got the locals in a shitpot of trouble back home, not because they tried it, but because it wasn't deniable.

Can't believe you are really arguing this--don't you work for the government? ;)

All the competent people we see--the OFS lt governor on Saltash, the one on Loomis, and Barregos are the evidence that the entire body isn't corrupt. But Duenas, Verrochio, Hongbo, Floyd and all the others override them. Admiral Pyun was relieved of his command--through the application of political clout in the bureaucracy, not through exercise of direct command over naval forces. For being, you know, honestly competent.

Rob
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11940
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Potato wrote:Why the frack would OFS be wargaming against the SLN? Or even more pertinently, how? OFS is a civilian bureaucratic institution, not a military one. It has no warships under its command. This is like asking the State Department to wargame against the US Navy. It is a question that cannot be answered because it is based on an impossible absurdity. Here is how OFS would work in real life.

Why, indeed. What could possibly come out of OFS's 100 pound ape constantly wiping the floor with the 800 pound gorilla?

You're arguing the semantics of hierarchy. Lift up the skirt and dust off the nitty gritty.

Thanks for the excellent post. Grist for the mill!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Potato wrote:Why the frack would OFS be wargaming against the SLN? Or even more pertinently, how? OFS is a civilian bureaucratic institution, not a military one. It has no warships under its command. This is like asking the State Department to wargame against the US Navy. It is a question that cannot be answered because it is based on an impossible absurdity. Here is how OFS would work in real life.


A nice site to know, thanks!
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:02 am

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

cthia wrote:
Potato wrote:Why the frack would OFS be wargaming against the SLN? Or even more pertinently, how? OFS is a civilian bureaucratic institution, not a military one. It has no warships under its command. This is like asking the State Department to wargame against the US Navy. It is a question that cannot be answered because it is based on an impossible absurdity. Here is how OFS would work in real life.

Why, indeed. What could possibly come out of OFS's 100 pound ape constantly wiping the floor with the 800 pound gorilla?

You're arguing the semantics of hierarchy. Lift up the skirt and dust off the nitty gritty.

Thanks for the excellent post. Grist for the mill!




What, exactly are you driving at? besides skirts, please.
You didn't answer his post at all. Your premise doesn't make any sense.

Rob
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11940
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
Potato wrote:Why the frack would OFS be wargaming against the SLN? Or even more pertinently, how? OFS is a civilian bureaucratic institution, not a military one. It has no warships under its command. This is like asking the State Department to wargame against the US Navy. It is a question that cannot be answered because it is based on an impossible absurdity. Here is how OFS would work in real life.


A nice site to know, thanks!


Very nice site! And also an excellent post!

But we're going to sprinkle it with a little of the human element. As always, it changes the flavor quite a bit. It's an acquired thing. Truth, in the way the cogs and sprockets interact in the real world, that is.

For the chef in you, the human element is simply Worcestershire Sauce. Or, more concisely coined by a friend's father who is a chef, "Whas dis 'ere sauce?"

What's dis 'ere we got cooking? Let it simmer a bit longer before serving.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:32 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

cthia wrote:
Very nice site! And also an excellent post!

But we're going to sprinkle it with a little of the human element. As always, it changes the flavor quite a bit. It's an acquired thing. Truth, in the way the cogs and sprockets interact in the real world, that is.

For the chef in you, the human element is simply Worcestershire Sauce. Or, more concisely coined by a friend's father who is a chef, "Whas dis 'ere sauce?"

What's dis 'ere we got cooking? Let it simmer a bit longer before serving.



Sigh. From up-skirting to cooking. But still no clue about what you want to discuss.

Why do you assume only you have a "human input" response? That everyone else in the forum is deficient to your empathy? At times like this, there is a strong echo of Skimper in your "visions." Especially as you deliberately DO NOT ADDRESS a single point he (Potato) made.

Is this supposed to be some sort of teaser to get a discussion started? Then discuss it. Stop throwing around useless, undirected and unconnected "metaphors" and speak in English. I usually understand that, you know.

Can you tell I am frustrated? What I feel at the moment is ineffable in polite company. You create a good bit of discussion in some of the posts you make. Now, you are just being coy, saying "catch up" --YOU HAVEN'T INDICATED WHAT YOU ACTUALLY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Do emoticons explode? :?:

Rob
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Posts: 11940
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:
cthia wrote:
Very nice site! And also an excellent post!

But we're going to sprinkle it with a little of the human element. As always, it changes the flavor quite a bit. It's an acquired thing. Truth, in the way the cogs and sprockets interact in the real world, that is.

For the chef in you, the human element is simply Worcestershire Sauce. Or, more concisely coined by a friend's father who is a chef, "Whas dis 'ere sauce?"

What's dis 'ere we got cooking? Let it simmer a bit longer before serving.



Sigh. From up-skirting to cooking. But still no clue about what you want to discuss.

Why do you assume only you have a "human input" response? That everyone else in the forum is deficient to your empathy? At times like this, there is a strong echo of Skimper in your "visions." Especially as you deliberately DO NOT ADDRESS a single point he (Potato) made.

Is this supposed to be some sort of teaser to get a discussion started? Then discuss it. Stop throwing around useless, undirected and unconnected "metaphors" and speak in English. I usually understand that, you know.

Can you tell I am frustrated? What I feel at the moment is ineffable in polite company. You create a good bit of discussion in some of the posts you make. Now, you are just being coy, saying "catch up" --YOU HAVEN'T INDICATED WHAT YOU ACTUALLY ARE TALKING ABOUT.
Do emoticons explode? :?:

Rob

I will address it when I get the time. I promise. I admit to starting fires with little time to tend them. My apology. I'm still pretty much entertaining residual company left over from Memorial Day. And I'm taking the time to simply toss a Frisbee on the beach, reintroduce my toes to the sand, and wrestle with a few waves. Besides, it seems you need a little time to mull it over.

But where are your manners? You don't act that way when an upcoming movie throws out a trailer as a teaser. You don't treat the author that way when he tosses out a snippet. Go on and say what you haven't yet come to realize. My threads are entertaining, and your curiosity is killing you. :D But, the holidays and -- as someone referrred to once on the forum -- the exigencies of life, trumps the forum. At the mo.

My niece is visiting and kicking my ass again in 3D chess. It's embarrassing. In regular chess, she's down two games. In 3D chess I'm taking a SLN beating. Plus, I'm trying to return my tattered 30-yr-old paper football trophy back to where it belongs. On top of that, one of my dear friends (a girl) and I, are defending our foosball championship, flawlessly, as always.

Memorial Day is another big American holiday. It signals the official opening of beaches and water parks.

IOW, my hands are full. An apology'll have to do.

Oh, have you ever played Frisbee golf? I'm like Tiger. Everyone's chasing my tail.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by tlb   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:32 pm

tlb
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1469
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:34 am


Armed Neo-Bob wrote:A nice site to know, thanks!

My problem with the quorum website is that you have to have a Google account to use the internal search.

If we are wondering anything about this thread, it is how he expects to justify the premise. If he is just wasting time, then where are his manners?

Movie trailers and book snippets are as subject to criticism as the movies or books are. It is always possible to say something looks like nonsense.
Top
Re: OFS vs SLN
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:11 pm

tlb wrote:

Armed Neo-Bob wrote:A nice site to know, thanks!

My problem with the quorum website is that you have to have a Google account to use the internal search.

If we are wondering anything about this thread, it is how he expects to justify the premise. If he is just wasting time, then where are his manners?

Movie trailers and book snippets are as subject to criticism as the movies or books are. It is always possible to say something looks like nonsense.


My android based phone sort of requires a google account. I pretty much detest social media, so I don't use it for anything.

Rob
Top

Return to Honorverse