Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 30 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by tlb   » Sun May 05, 2019 1:07 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:I agree no one was threatening to blow up Honor's statue. The disgruntled faction (who still exists) were too busy trying to blow her up. As whether my views have changed, let's just say I reserve final judgement until Honor takes the stand.

I have never claimed any subject I broach in the Honorverse will be addressed in the future.

I admit that I have a hard time understanding you sometimes, because the following passage seems to say that something will happen in the future; just as you seem to think that Honor will have to take the stand at some point. But if what you are saying now is that RFC will never address your problems in the stories, then I agree.
cthia wrote:I should also state that regardless of what UH holds, it will not change my mind that Beowulf has ordered up a big fat bowl of bad karma. Regardless of whether it was actually delivered in UH. Regardless of what happened in UH, Beowulf has it coming. That's what the Harrington Doctrine was trying to avoid. The Harrington Doctrine details the dangers of karma slowly festering and growing big and nasty and ready enough to stomp a mud hole in some targeted upturned asses. IOW, Beowulf's karma may be decades delayed.

This was on the following page:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9380&start=530
Post by cthia   » Sun May 05, 2019 1:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:I agree no one was threatening to blow up Honor's statue. The disgruntled faction (who still exists) were too busy trying to blow her up. As whether my views have changed, let's just say I reserve final judgement until Honor takes the stand.

I have never claimed any subject I broach in the Honorverse will be addressed in the future.

I admit that I have a hard time understanding you sometimes, because the following passage seems to say that something will happen in the future; just as you seem to think that Honor will have to take the stand at some point. But if what you are saying now is that RFC will never address your problems in the stories, then I agree.
cthia wrote:I should also state that regardless of what UH holds, it will not change my mind that Beowulf has ordered up a big fat bowl of bad karma. Regardless of whether it was actually delivered in UH. Regardless of what happened in UH, Beowulf has it coming. That's what the Harrington Doctrine was trying to avoid. The Harrington Doctrine details the dangers of karma slowly festering and growing big and nasty and ready enough to stomp a mud hole in some targeted upturned asses. IOW, Beowulf's karma may be decades delayed.

This was on the following page:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9380&start=530

RFC certainly could address them, if he wanted to. If he suffered a writer's block and needed some filler. But, as I said, sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Beowulf did order up a big fat bowl of karma. And, it seems that that karma was delivered in UH, instead of in the future. Technically, UH was the future. Although, the future may hold yet even more SL vengeance against its former family of traitors. Again, it could be said that the Harrington Doctrine was meant to squash the germination of karma.

I never said that anything will definitely happen in the future. But that the stage has been set for something to happen. In the words of a meteorologist, conditions are ripe for a storm. Honor's secret may never get out in that capacity, other than amongst friends and those in the need to know. Keeping that secret has served her well, militarily. At any rate, I am saying that if it were to make it to a court of her peers, Honor's input would be needed. She'd have to speak for herself on that one.

BTW, I yielded to my niece because she has a valid point. Unlike you, I consider that as a significant change in my stance. Whereas I saw no way out of the matter before, I now recognize that there is one. But it hinges on Honor's testimony, again, if it ever came to pass.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Sun May 05, 2019 7:35 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Beowulf did order up a big fat bowl of karma. And, it seems that that karma was delivered in UH, instead of in the future. Technically, UH was the future. Although, the future may hold yet even more SL vengeance against its former family of traitors.

The problem with that statement is that the retribution came from the Mesan Alignment, not the Solarian League. In UH the Solarian League was more bark than bite (except for a few planets that were defenseless).

Perhaps you could chalk this one up to an earlier mess of karma arising from the argument with the Detweilers.
Post by cthia   » Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The grist is from a previous post . . .

Indeed, the consensus amongst my friends seems to be that it was nothing short of providence that Honor chose not to join the Church of Humanity Unchained. Leaving her under the covenant of her own faith. Which hopefully shares the same Bible as traditional religions.

Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God

This is quoted literally from Deuteronomy 6:16. The meaning is, thou shalt not try him; or, thou shalt not, by throwing thyself into voluntary and uncommanded dangers, appeal to God for protection, or trifle with the promises made to those who are thrown into danger by his providence.

This should be self-explanatory. If not, essentially, Honor should not have given up her edge, then possibly having to duel anyway.

Providence
  • divine guidance or care
  • timely preparation for future eventualities

Of course, future eventualities mainly includes the excrement from this can-o-worms hitting the fan.

This can-o-worms is highly religious in nature.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Thu May 23, 2019 9:55 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Honor should not have given up her edge, then possibly having to duel anyway.

To make this clear: are you announcing a change from your previously stated position?
Post by cthia   » Thu May 23, 2019 5:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:Honor should not have given up her edge, then possibly having to duel anyway.

To make this clear: are you announcing a change from your previously stated position?

cthia wrote:. . .the consensus amongst my friends.

Religion is a rather personal thing. I respect my friends and their religious slant. And I agree for the most part.

There are still other considerations I can't so easily sweep under the rug. Do note, personally, I'm forgiving of Honor's decision if we consider how exhausted she was, wounded and drowning in grief. As I've already stated, I can imagine she didn't even think about securing Nimitz. May have even needed his empathy for moral support, s[purring] her on to fight through her pain. I'm simply saying it could cause problems down the road. And, rightly so.

Another thing that has cropped up is this fact: In Honor failing to inform Burdette of her secret, she might possibly have prevented Burdette from declining to fight, thus possibly saving his soul, if, indeed, he was out of alignment with Tester's wishes. Much like the idiots who were responsible for the death of Reverend Hanks and the collapse of The Mueller Middle School, had a chance to repent. And, iinm, one of them did ask Tester for forgiveness.

Post by cthia   » Tue May 28, 2019 7:23 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Just to lighten the load a little . . .

Kael Posavatz wrote:(Trying desperately not to make a pun about how it's a good thing Honor has never taken up golf)

Why? Should she have yelled . . . "fore!" To warn of the danger of a foul swing at Burdette?

Was she about to tee off with an illegal "club?" If she'd divulged her secret, she'd have landed in the fairway instead of ending up in the bunker. If her secret gets out, they'd realize she cheated getting out of the sand trap laid by Burdette. You can't legally touch the ball (crease) before taking a sha wing. We all know it was a simple chip shot for Honor, so why cheat? It was a simple putt. If Burdette had been morally informed, perhaps he'd not have attempted a pitch shot.

Unbeknownst to Burdette, he didn't know he was also playing with a handicap, just like Honor. Though his handicap was much higher than Honor's. In match play, aren't you supposed to be informed of your handicap?

Doncha just love analogies? :lol:

Post by cthia   » Tue May 28, 2019 4:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One of my friends, the Nascar nut, said I missed one . . .

"Instead of attempting a pitch shot from the high guard position, Burdette should have assumed the low guard position and used a drive-er."

Post by Fox2!   » Wed May 29, 2019 12:30 am

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
Another thing that has cropped up is this fact: In Honor failing to inform Burdette of her secret, she might possibly have prevented Burdette from declining to fight, thus possibly saving his soul, if, indeed, he was out of alignment with Tester's wishes. Much like the idiots who were responsible for the death of Reverend Hanks and the collapse of The Mueller Middle School, had a chance to repent. And, iinm, one of them did ask Tester for forgiveness.

Burdette, by his thoughts, words and actions, thought that the Tester had delivered the foreign born infidel harlot to His judgement through Burdette. He just knew that his superior (tournament) skills would allow him not just to defeat Honor, but to thoroughly destroy her, and through her defeat, not only overturn Benjamin's death sentence against him, but reverse the Mayhew Restoration of the Protector's primacy among the Keys (and the deprecation of the Key's influence).

Burdette did not understand that Honor truly is an incarnation of Shiva, the Destroyer of Worlds (and not just because a laser head missile resembles Edward Teller's Shiva nuclear pumped laser missile defense system). She (and Benjamin) destroyed the existing structure of Grayson. She restored Marsh to its people, destroying the pirate nest. And she (and Hamish, of course) established the conditions necessary for Tom Theissman to overthrow the Committee for Public Safety under Oscar St. Just.

The Salamander is always found where the fire is hottest. On that day, the fire was hottest in the Keys. Burdette didn't recognize that he was just the fuel for the fire.
Post by kzt   » Wed May 29, 2019 9:34 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Nicely said.

Return to Honorverse