Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by Dilandu   » Fri May 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2043
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

The E wrote:
If I'm interpreting smr's ramblings correctly, "reparations" in this instance refers to a long-running conversation in US politics about whether or not african americans deserve some form of reparation for damages done during slavery -- The argument, as far as I am aware, hinges on the fact that while slavery was abolished and all slaves supposedly set free, they were never compensated for services rendered.


...I was under impression that there are no single African-American slave still alive for quite a long time. And current generations could not claim that they actually suffered from slavery.

The E wrote:As a result, freed slaves were at a severe economic disadvantage, having worked for decades and not having anything to show for it, which feeds into the relative poverty of black communities in the present day.


...Hm. So, could I demand compensation from EU for Poland invasion of Russia in 1609? ;) I feel that without those pesky invaders Russia today would be much richer.
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by gcomeau   » Fri May 17, 2019 4:14 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Dilandu wrote: And current generations could not claim that they actually suffered from slavery.


You *must* be joking here... you seriously need to familiarize yourself with american history both pre and post abolition before saying things this absurd.
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by Dilandu   » Fri May 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Posts: 2043
Joined: Sat May 07, 2011 12:44 pm
Location: Russia

gcomeau wrote:
Dilandu wrote: And current generations could not claim that they actually suffered from slavery.


You *must* be joking here... you seriously need to familiarize yourself with american history both pre and post abolition before saying things this absurd.


Ok, I may use wrong word. Not "actually"; "directly". Do you agree, that neither of modern African-American DIRECTLY suffered from slavery? ;)

P.S. Of course it's absurd. This whole thing is absurd. A most blatant populist attempt to rally blacks after them by promising them more money (it is much simpler & safer that actually solve any of their problems, you know... )
------------------------------

- Who would won in battle between strawman Liberal-Democrat and strawman Conservative-Republican?
- Scarecrow from Oz; he was strawman before it became political.

P.S. - And he have Russian twin, to watch his back)
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by gcomeau   » Fri May 17, 2019 7:40 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

Dilandu wrote:
gcomeau wrote:
You *must* be joking here... you seriously need to familiarize yourself with american history both pre and post abolition before saying things this absurd.


Ok, I may use wrong word. Not "actually"; "directly". Do you agree, that neither of modern African-American DIRECTLY suffered from slavery? ;)

P.S. Of course it's absurd. This whole thing is absurd. A most blatant populist attempt to rally blacks after them by promising them more money (it is much simpler & safer that actually solve any of their problems, you know... )


Ummm, no. No it is not at all absurd actually.

Here, read this.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... ns/361631/

You may disagree, but if you still claim it is absurd after reading that you are not treating the subject matter seriously.
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by gcomeau   » Sat May 18, 2019 10:15 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

That rarest of creatures... an honest Republican Congressman.

https://twitter.com/justinamash/status/ ... 36546?s=19

Here are my principal conclusions:
1. Attorney General Barr has deliberately misrepresented Mueller’s report.
2. President Trump has engaged in impeachable conduct.

3. Partisanship has eroded our system of checks and balances.
4. Few members of Congress have read the report.

I offer these conclusions only after having read Mueller’s redacted report carefully and completely, having read or watched pertinent statements and testimony, and having discussed this matter with my staff, who thoroughly reviewed materials and provided me with further analysis.

In comparing Barr’s principal conclusions, congressional testimony, and other statements to Mueller’s report, it is clear that Barr intended to mislead the public about Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s analysis and findings.

Barr’s misrepresentations are significant but often subtle, frequently taking the form of sleight-of-hand qualifications or logical fallacies, which he hopes people will not notice.

Under our Constitution, the president “shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.” While “high Crimes and Misdemeanors” is not defined, the context implies conduct that violates the public trust.

Contrary to Barr’s portrayal, Mueller’s report reveals that President Trump engaged in specific actions and a pattern of behavior that meet the threshold for impeachment.

In fact, Mueller’s report identifies multiple examples of conduct satisfying all the elements of obstruction of justice, and undoubtedly any person who is not the president of the United States would be indicted based on such evidence.

Impeachment, which is a special form of indictment, does not even require probable cause that a crime (e.g., obstruction of justice) has been committed; it simply requires a finding that an official has engaged in careless, abusive, corrupt, or otherwise dishonorable conduct.

...

Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by Daryl   » Sun May 19, 2019 12:51 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2879
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

We have it here. While we didn't have out and out slavery, we kept our indigenous people from being citizens with full rights within living memory. There are still Australian Aboriginals living who were deemed to be wards of the state and couldn't leave their missions without a white bureaucrat's written permission.
So their kids and grandkids have to compete with people whose grand parents were property owners. No role models or family wealth and influence to help them.
Just money isn't the answer, it will take time.
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by noblehunter   » Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 am

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Daryl wrote:We have it here. While we didn't have out and out slavery, we kept our indigenous people from being citizens with full rights within living memory. There are still Australian Aboriginals living who were deemed to be wards of the state and couldn't leave their missions without a white bureaucrat's written permission.
So their kids and grandkids have to compete with people whose grand parents were property owners. No role models or family wealth and influence to help them.
Just money isn't the answer, it will take time.


There's a reason the linked article didn't say what the reparations should be. Even if society agreed that some broad program of reparations was warranted, implementing that program would be just as big a challenge as getting the agreement.
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by gcomeau   » Tue May 21, 2019 9:45 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

I'm going to assume smr is trying to adjust his thinking to find some way of calling Justin Amash... Tea Party Freedom Caucus Republican.... a "raving Demoncrat" so he can continue to refuse to actually deal with the substance of what Trump did, as pretty much all committed Trump worshipers are in the process of doing right now.
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by smr   » Wed May 22, 2019 9:26 am

smr
Rear Admiral

Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Well, the Demoncrats should impeach Trump to shore up their voter base if their Conscience dictates that action. Just one question: What charge are you going to impeach the President of the United States and where is your hard evidence? Remember, I am an old man and I recall that he was cleared of Conspiracy (collusion) allegations.

Pass the Popcorn! Would you like your Margarita refreshed because my Margarita Machine has been running since late last night for the Memorial Weekend Fesitivities.


gcomeau wrote:I'm going to assume smr is trying to adjust his thinking to find some way of calling Justin Amash... Tea Party Freedom Caucus Republican.... a "raving Demoncrat" so he can continue to refuse to actually deal with the substance of what Trump did, as pretty much all committed Trump worshipers are in the process of doing right now.
Top
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by gcomeau   » Wed May 22, 2019 9:32 am

gcomeau
Admiral

Posts: 2265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:24 pm

smr wrote:Well, the Demoncrats should impeach Trump to shore up their voter base if their Conscience dictates that action. Just one question: What charge are you going to impeach the President of the United States and where is your hard evidence? Remember, I am an old man and I recall that he was cleared of Conspiracy (collusion) allegations.

Pass the Popcorn! Would you like your Margarita refreshed because my Margarita Machine has been running since late last night for the Memorial Weekend Fesitivities.


gcomeau wrote:I'm going to assume smr is trying to adjust his thinking to find some way of calling Justin Amash... Tea Party Freedom Caucus Republican.... a "raving Demoncrat" so he can continue to refuse to actually deal with the substance of what Trump did, as pretty much all committed Trump worshipers are in the process of doing right now.


Damn I was wrong, he's just going to pretend Amash, and his statement that answered this question in detail in my post quoting it, doesn't exist entirely...

Not the most surprising outcome of course, not like it's the first time...
Top

Return to Politics