Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tonyskim and 20 guests

It does look like the evil author plans to let us stew.!!

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
It does look like the evil author plans to let us stew.!!
Post by ronnysingh   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:52 am

ronnysingh
Midshipman

DW (RFC) did swing through the forums yesterday posting in a few more 'technical support' type threads.. But as of yet, has not posted in any of the speculation threads about the final chapters of TFT.

Evil Author indeed. :evil:
Re: It does look like the evil author plans to let us stew.!
Post by PeterZ   » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:20 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ronnysingh wrote:DW (RFC) did swing through the forums yesterday posting in a few more 'technical support' type threads.. But as of yet, has not posted in any of the speculation threads about the final chapters of TFT.

I am hoping for more snippets soon.
Post by FriarBob   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:09 am

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

ronnysingh wrote:DW (RFC) did swing through the forums yesterday posting in a few more 'technical support' type threads.. But as of yet, has not posted in any of the speculation threads about the final chapters of TFT.

I wish I was surprised. I'm not. Odds are quite high he's giggling like a little schoolgirl about how we all got it at least half (or more) wrong...
Post by DMcCunney   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:45 am

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

FriarBob wrote:

I wish I was surprised. I'm not. Odds are quite high he's giggling like a little schoolgirl about how we all got it at least half (or more) wrong...
I don't know about giggling, but I'm certain he's amused.

My wonder is how much he's following the ground rule normally applied to "whodunit?" mysteries. The general rule there is that all of the information the detective uses to solve the case and unmask the murderer must be present in the book, and the reader should be able to follow the same chain of reasoning and arrive at the same conclusion as the detective. The best mystery writers doing that sort of thing (and the late Agatha Christie was the acknowledged master of that craft). follow the rule and present that information, but do so in a manner where the reader sees it but does not realize it's significant and will smack themselves on the head when the solution is revealed saying "How could I have missed that?"

There is lots of room in the series in general and TFT in particular for that sort of misdirection. :p
______
Dennis
Post by justdave   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:34 pm

justdave
Lieutenant Commander

[/quote]
I am hoping for more snippets soon.[/quote]

What snippets? At the Mad Wizard’s Pensacon review of his writing schedule he said he hadn’t started the next Safehold book.

Return to Safehold