Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

What will the next book be about

Fans of Colin Maclntyre and the great starship Dahak should take a minute to stop in here for discussions about one of David's best-loved series.
Re: What will the next book be about
Post by richardinor   » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:06 pm

richardinor
Commander

At the book signing I attended last year, Mr. Weber said he wanted to do a prequel that told the story of the mutiny, why Horus turns against the mutiny and how Jitaanith losses her mother. He told us some of it, just enough to wet our appetites.
Post by Rod   » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Rod
Lieutenant Commander

zuluwiz wrote:There is no shortage of humans, no breeding will be needed to man the ships. What is needed will be enhancement facilities. Plus more ships, of course, but they are building more planetoids. I can see a need for scout planetoids, smaller than the Battle Fleet units, faster, and with better stealth capabilities. After all, to free the enslaved Achuultan, you first need to find them.

I really like the idea of scout planetoids. They know which way the Achuultan went. Couldn't they be followed?
Post by TechGuy   » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:46 am

TechGuy
Midshipman

c
Post by callmedoubleb   » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:13 pm

callmedoubleb
Midshipman

I am really shocked to see this topic. I became a fan of Mr. Weber's while I was in the Coast Guard in the late 90's specifically because of Mutineer's Moon. Following reading the I wrote to him a couple of times on the topic of a sequel and was advised over and over that this was a finished series and he was not interested in writing further stories. I was really upset at the time and am almost afraid of getting my hopes up for a sequel. I really feel like there are a lot of unresolved pieces to this series. I really hope David chooses to write another sequel in this series. Be nice to see how Pardal integrates with Bia, Earth, and Narhan.
Post by trollingmotor   » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:37 pm

trollingmotor
Midshipman

I've been wondering if a possible sequel could be written to the Apocalypse Troll. I realize that Mr. Weber has quite a few irons in the fire, but it would be an interesting read if the children of Dick and Milla were also involved in the war, once the Kangas showed up. Of course, Milla's blaster would have to be duplicated and keyed to the various users, but the Earth has had 80 years to reverse engineer the troll's fighter, so a good portion of the technology would now be available that wasn't there in the prior universe. I guess I'm just hoping for an extension of the story line.
Thanks
Post by KNick   » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:09 am

KNick
Admiral

trollingmotor wrote:I've been wondering if a possible sequel could be written to the Apocalypse Troll. I realize that Mr. Weber has quite a few irons in the fire, but it would be an interesting read if the children of Dick and Milla were also involved in the war, once the Kangas showed up. Of course, Milla's blaster would have to be duplicated and keyed to the various users, but the Earth has had 80 years to reverse engineer the troll's fighter, so a good portion of the technology would now be available that wasn't there in the prior universe. I guess I'm just hoping for an extension of the story line.
Thanks

This is one of the few stories that has not been asked about. While I liked the story, apparently there was not enough interest to generate a sequel. Welcome to the forums. Hope you will pull up a stool and stay a while.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Talonvor   » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 am

Talonvor
Midshipman

They dont really need wormholes, in the 3rd book their newest ships can travel at 3200 times light speed while in hyperspace. As far as the introduction of the species the Achuultani fled from, they are a type 3 or 4 civilization. There is no way that humanity and the Achuultani would be able to fight them off. Why? Because humanity has 3 planets to work with and one of them is still in the pike and musket era. Which means that they are pretty much worthless!

The Achuultani do have a high tech civilization, but lets not forget that humanity was able to defeat over 3 million of their war ships with less than 80 of our own. That pretty much means they would be worthless as anything but cannon fodder and that's no way to win a war against such an advanced civilization. Besides, why would they leave their galaxy and come looking for a race that they know they exterminated millions of years ago or are we supposed to believe that they traveled to our galaxy and just happened to arrive at one of the worlds controlled by Humans or Achuultani?????

Izzlyhauff wrote:One of the ways I think the distance between the home world's could be overcome is if some one discovered/found information that previous empire left concerning wormwholes. With this information maybe one could lead off in the direction of .......

Or.... how about something like this was setup and really far, far, away a portion of the previous empire lives on, but they have regressed or are fearfull of opening the wormwhole again?
Post by KNick   » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 am

KNick
Admiral

Talonvor wrote:They dont really need wormholes, in the 3rd book their newest ships can travel at 3200 times light speed while in hyperspace. As far as the introduction of the species the Achuultani fled from, they are a type 3 or 4 civilization. There is no way that humanity and the Achuultani would be able to fight them off. Why? Because humanity has 3 planets to work with and one of them is still in the pike and musket era. Which means that they are pretty much worthless!

The Achuultani do have a high tech civilization, but lets not forget that humanity was able to defeat over 3 million of their war ships with less than 80 of our own. That pretty much means they would be worthless as anything but cannon fodder and that's no way to win a war against such an advanced civilization. Besides, why would they leave their galaxy and come looking for a race that they know they exterminated millions of years ago or are we supposed to believe that they traveled to our galaxy and just happened to arrive at one of the worlds controlled by Humans or Achuultani?????

Izzlyhauff wrote:One of the ways I think the distance between the home world's could be overcome is if some one discovered/found information that previous empire left concerning wormwholes. With this information maybe one could lead off in the direction of .......

Or.... how about something like this was setup and really far, far, away a portion of the previous empire lives on, but they have regressed or are fearfull of opening the wormwhole again?

Since David is currently working on (by my count) at least 5-7 new books in at least 4 different universes, I really don't see him starting another new book in another universe (no matter how many of us want him to). Welcome to the forums. Hopefully, you can get your Weber fixes here, as well as helping us get our own fixes.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Talonvor   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:44 pm

Talonvor
Midshipman

Keymaster654 wrote:I thought the original nest killers were humans??? or was that the fact that when the Brashiel (err its been a lonng while since i read the book so I forgot the name of the horse looking guys) came into human space they called it the demon sector because we are hard to kill? Anywho it would be interesting to see the original nest killers and/or to see other races that have pulled themselves up and have a bone to pick with the horse looking guys

Be gentle when you correct me on the names I have a touch of sometimers, and I don't have the book in front of me.

--Jon--

No, go back and read it again. The original nest killers killed all of the other nests. The nest of the Achuultani fled from their home galaxy to our just to avoid the great nest killers.

They call this the Demon sector because their encounters with humans had cost them a high price every single time they had come through the sector. It was shear dumb luck that each time a single human world was missed, allowing humans to rebuild and repopulate the worlds in this sector.
Post by Talonvor   » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Talonvor
Midshipman

Talonvor wrote:They dont really need wormholes, in the 3rd book their newest ships can travel at 3200 times light speed while in hyperspace.

Very true, at that speed they would cover a light year in just under 7 days, however there is no way they could travel to say, the Andromeda galaxy even at 3200 times light speed it would still take almost 800 years to make that journey.

How the Achuultani made the journey to our galaxy is still something that bothers me, because the time needed to cross the space between major galaxies is just way to much especially since their fastest fleet wide hyper speed is 50 times light speed. At that speed it would take them over 50,000 years to travel from the Andromeda galaxy to ours. If the Achuultani came from one of the minor galaxies that orbit the Milky Way, then we would have already seen the "great nest killers" The fact that we havent, proves that they came from either the Andromeda galaxy, or another large galaxy that's not even close to ours. If that's the case then the time involved runs into the millions of years and it becomes unlikely.

Return to Dahak