Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

St. Kohdy’s tomb: what REALLY destroyed it?

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: St. Kohdy’s tomb: what REALLY destroyed it?
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:04 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

DMcCunney wrote:
Dilandu wrote:The most puzzling question is why actually it was needed at all. If some Angel wanted to get rid of the Sisterhood, he could use much less... direct measures (like sending microbots to start a big fire in the Abbey, for example), so it would looks pretty "natural".
Who would care about it looking "natural"? The Abbey of the Snows was in a deliberately remote location no one had cause to visit.

(SNIP by RAW)

The Abbey of the Snows was NOT the original location of the Sisterhood. It is the order of Chihiro monastery that the Sisterhood had infiltrated and taken over (and made it the new location of Khody's tomb).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

What if...Khody isn't truly dead?
What if Schueler sent him back as a P.I.C.A. ?

Set to hibernate, to work against Chihiro some time in the future, Chihiro gets worried worried, offs Schueler and nukes the tomb?

I'm sure RFC will have something chortlingly devious to fox us with ;)
Post by Dilandu   » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:What if...Khody isn't truly dead?

Set to hibernate, to work against Chihiro some time in the future, Chihiro gets worried worried, offs Schueler and nukes the tomb?

What for? It would be much simpler for Schueller to hide HIS OWN PICA, if he have access to one.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:42 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dilandu wrote:
SilverbladeTE wrote:What if...Khody isn't truly dead?

What for? It would be much simpler for Schueller to hide HIS OWN PICA, if he have access to one.

The best con gives the "mark" exactly what he wants to see.
It's certain Chihiro would keep close tabs on Schueler, giving the expected "body" would reduce risk of further investigation.

Khody was a highly skilled combat and survival expert.
Far as we know Schueler was just an Administrator.
So who would make a better PICA agent...just like Merlin?

;)
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:57 am

Dilandu
Admiral

SilverbladeTE wrote:
Khody was a highly skilled combat and survival expert.
Far as we know Schueler was just an Administrator.
So who would make a better PICA agent...just like Merlin?

;)

Definitely NOT like Merlin. It was stated in the first book, that Nimue wasn't actually well-prepared for Sfehold mission, and she basically possessed little skills tht could be of ny practicl use. Considering that Schueller possible PICA would have her high-speed data port working, Schueller could easily obtain all required skills & knowledge, just by using time compresion in virtual reality.

Post by Joat42   » Thu May 09, 2019 7:17 am

Joat42
Admiral

Just to play the devils advocate here I have to draw your attention to rfc's penchant for dangling "obvious things" in front of the reader and much later add a context that totally changes the situation.

Remember the whole thing about "Nimue being just one arrow"?
Remember that the sisterhood quietly relocated BEFORE the strike on their convent and Kohdy's tomb - why did they do that? The explanation given doesn't necessarily include the whole truth.

What if they where warned by someone from the command crew? Someone that was in on the whole thing? Just because we know that Pei was still on Shan-Wei's side it doesn't preclude he had accomplices from the beginning or that he won some over - especially in light of the OBS attack on Shan-Wei.

That could mean that the destruction of the convent and Kohdy's tomb was a way to protect the sisterhood.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by Louis R   » Sat May 11, 2019 6:53 pm

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Hmmmm...

Had to reread to see exactly what you were getting at - and it's certainly a possibility.

Not a lot of evidence for it. Except for the fact that the then leadership of the SSK clearly had reason to believe that extreme action against them was likely. And to believe that they were right to think that it would be unjustified. Which in the religious climate of the time is... odd. I really can't see anybody who knew the full story trying to conceal themselves in that way, and I _can_ see them making sure that the knowledge wasn't lost. As with the Brethren, there should have been a kernel of sisters who knew the full truth, and who could ensure that the Mother Superior was always one of their number. Still, your notion, if I'm reading you correctly, does cover the bases - and it is not impossible for the full story to be corrupted into 'Chihiro lied' if the right people die off in short order.
So it seems more likely that the founders were believers in the CoGA, but thought of Chihiro's teaching as 'lies' [hmmmm...], although even that position doesn't seem to have been propagated through the centuries.

Anyway, my first thought was that it needn't have been command crew, since Mother was very, very well connected in the Church. And I can't see that the "clean up" could have been accomplished without the assistance of 'mortals' in the hierarchy. One of them could have decided that blood was thicker than water and let the SSK know that they were to be included in the process. From the history Nynian gave us, that decision was actually made quite early. Was it also leaked early, or was it actually clear even then that the Angels weren't entirely trustworthy? The Sisterhood seems to have started squirreling away resources very early on, at any rate.

Joat42 wrote:Just to play the devils advocate here I have to draw your attention to rfc's penchant for dangling "obvious things" in front of the reader and much later add a context that totally changes the situation.

Remember that the sisterhood quietly relocated BEFORE the strike on their convent and Kohdy's tomb - why did they do that? The explanation given doesn't necessarily include the whole truth.

What if they where warned by someone from the command crew? Someone that was in on the whole thing? Just because we know that Pei was still on Shan-Wei's side it doesn't preclude he had accomplices from the beginning or that he won some over - especially in light of the OBS attack on Shan-Wei.

That could mean that the destruction of the convent and Kohdy's tomb was a way to protect the sisterhood.
Post by Dilandu   » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:08 am

Dilandu
Admiral

mopa9000 wrote:The only reason I can think to strike it would be to erase someone/thing. Since the whole world knows of Seijin Kody, even if most of the official story was been expunged, it can't be to delete his existence. Perhaps to destroy some piece of technology? (What if he was physically augmented, and the Archangels didn't want future pilgrims seeing a Terminator chassis lying in Kody's tomb.)

Frankly, I don't see a problem here. He was Seiji; any strange things with his body would be immediately explained as "God's blessing", like "his bones turned into blessed metal, so the unholy weapon of Fallens could not harm him".

And again, if Archangels wanted to hide something with Kohdy's body, then why they give it back? Why not just destroy the body, and declare that "for his faithful service, Seijin Kohdy was called to the Langhorne's own throne on the Dawn Star"?

No, it looks exctly like the destruction of the Tomb was a partizan act, NOT agreed upon between Archangels.

Post by WeberFan   » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:50 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

Joat42 wrote:Just to play the devils advocate here I have to draw your attention to rfc's penchant for dangling "obvious things" in front of the reader and much later add a context that totally changes the situation.

Go back and take a look at the textev...

The FIRST "arrow" was the folks who had been "deprogrammed."

The SECOND arrow was Nimue.

Even without looking at it, I can almost recall it verbatim because it made such an impression on me when I read it... "But there is another arrow... I know little of it and won't discuss even that in case this journal is taken by the Inquisition... It reflects a fidelity deeper than space itself... You will know it when it flies... And this is the test: NIMUE." (OK, OBVIOUSLY NOT a quote so don't climb all over me for it. But the paraphrasing isn't too bad methinks).
Post by SCC   » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 am

SCC
Commander

WeberFan wrote:

Go back and take a look at the textev...

The FIRST "arrow" was the folks who had been "deprogrammed."

The SECOND arrow was Nimue.

Pretty sure it's the other way around, Nimue's the first arrow.

In response the the OP's question: The tomb was destroyed as part of a program to erase the actual history of the Seijin's with, well let's just call it a suitably heroic one.

Return to Safehold