Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Plot fail

David's and Jacob Holo's newest alternate, cross history series.
Plot fail
Post by GregD   » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:08 pm

GregD
Lieutenant Commander

When talking with the head of the History Department, our hero thinks about how the the head is falling into our hero's trap.

Except no trap is ever sprung. Nothing is ever explained.

That entire thread is rather pointless.
Re: Plot fail
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

GregD wrote:When talking with the head of the History Department, our hero thinks about how the the head is falling into our hero's trap.

I take it the book is already out?
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by boballab   » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:46 am

boballab
Captain of the List

Dilandu wrote:
GregD wrote:When talking with the head of the History Department, our hero thinks about how the the head is falling into our hero's trap.

I take it the book is already out?

It has been out for awhile now in E-Arc form: https://www.baen.com/the-gordian-protocol-earc.html

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN
Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Um, our hero gets interrupted by the minor need to save 15 universes, instead? I mean, there are priorities in everything!

There are plot strands and then there are plot strands. The thread isn't pointless; it's what introduces Benjamin #1 and tells you where he came from, what he believes, who he is, and how the two parts have to fuse. It also helps set the groundwork for where he is and what's going on in his life when Raibert turns back up as a rep of the Gordian Division.

Not all plot strands can be neatly tied off and not all of them are to drive the story line to a conclusion. Some of them are there to tell you who people are. In a sense, what the entire book is all about is how a guy who has a sense of moral responsibility out the wazoo finds himself confronted with a moral choice that would bid fair to destroy anyone. You've got to know who he is --- who both of him are --- before you can really understand that and the way that he ultimately responds to it. Without having met Benjamin #1 and seen a bit of his world through his eyes, you would not have been able to full appreciate Benjamin #2 and Benjamin #1+#2..

Sorry if it didn't work for you, but Jacob and I didn't put it in there to carry through to a triumphant conclusion in this book. Now, you may see a return to this thread in a later book --- possibly even a return to a Benjamin #3 who was Benjamin #1 and didn't get interrupted by the knot, for example --- but we felt it both had to be in there and had to be snipped short the way it was.

BTW, this really should be noted as a spoiler thread.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.

Return to Gordian Division