Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 49 guests

**major spoilers** Speculation about a certain document...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: **major spoilers** Speculation about a certain document
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:21 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Has anybody told you recently that you can be nasty? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

runsforcelery wrote:Hmmm . . . wonder why the Sisters of St. Khody never made a single appearance in TFT?

Left hand, right hand, man behind the curtain . . .

Think it could have been one of the above?

:twisted: :twisted:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:46 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:Hmmm . . . wonder why the Sisters of St. Khody never made a single appearance in TFT?

So.....finished anbother book, eh? Wonderful! How many more before you start Safehold #11?
Post by Tararoys   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Tararoys
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Um. And while I'm thinking about it, you guys do remember a certain journal which came into the IC's possession courtesy of a certain nonexistent order of nuns? Let me see . . . the author escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure it will come to me.

:twisted:

Interesting. Now you are making me speculate that the Sisters of St Khody are behind it...and didn’t necessarily inform the inner council what they were up to. I mean, if anyone could put one over the IC, it would be the sisters. That does beg the question of why.
Post by SilverbladeTE   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 pm

SilverbladeTE
Captain (Junior Grade)

Tararoys wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:Um. And while I'm thinking about it, you guys do remember a certain journal which came into the IC's possession courtesy of a certain nonexistent order of nuns? Let me see . . . the author escapes me at the moment, but I'm sure it will come to me.

:twisted:

Interesting. Now you are making me speculate that the Sisters of St Khody are behind it...and didn’t necessarily inform the inner council what they were up to. I mean, if anyone could put one over the IC, it would be the sisters. That does beg the question of why.

More importantly....HOW could they have done it?
It would mean they had a Terran manufacturing facility....

Nah, I bet the Sisters have went on a long "busman's holiday", and a string of flashy new striptease joints opens up across Safehold....and a lot of Inquisitors who thought they'd escaped into the "woodwork" are found with Charisian midshipman's dirks applied as laxatives :twisted:
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:37 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

You, sir, are a steely eyed viper of the first water!!!
:lol:

Seriously, I must congratulate you on that ending - brilliant!
Especially as even though I just cannot see which theory is true, yet both possibilities draw on clues spread throughout the entire series.
Post by JBNL1972   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 am

JBNL1972
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Thank you, now I keep wondering just how highly placed their informant was that told them to skedaddle to their hidden abbey, and how much higher that warning started .... and whether that warning came with more than just verbal advice but perhaps records to preserve, sealed inside a certain tomb.

Well played sir, well played.
Eagerly awaiting the next book!
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:06 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

That argument also applies to Hektor and Irys. We read very little about them in TFT. We know Irys was scholastically inclined before she married Hektor. She gets along very well with her new geologist/wildcatter sister-in-law.

We now have Sebastian Athrawes to be our eyes and ears in small scale naval action. Hektor is free to do other things for the IC now.

What pray tell has our beloved now-grown-up lovebirds been doing?
DrakBibliophile wrote:Has anybody told you recently that you can be nasty? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post by martin   » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:35 pm

martin
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

The Sisters of St Khody’s mother superior is Nihnian. But then she along with Nahmahn is credited with something that would have the real Schueler spinning in his grave. The next phase of the Nahmahn plan, Operation Androcles. It’s not hyperspace science.
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:15 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

JBNL1972 wrote:I've been rereading the last chapter today and there's a few things that really bug me about it ....

1. Language shift.
Remember how the 'current' Safeholdians had to really carefully listen to the original "Vision of Schueler" (in Paityr's Stone/Key combo) because of the language drift over the preceding 900-odd years ?
Notice none of that was mentioned or even inferred in this case.

That would suggest this is an IC operation ....BUT ...

OR There has been relatively little language shift in Zion and the Temple lands areas nearby. Possibly because there have been a number of Vicars and their staff in every generation who have heard the secret recordings of the Archangels and ensured that speech by the Temple staff has followed their holy example. Or because the great Church families have preserved a memory of the 'correct' way to speak passed down by their illustrious ancestors. So the folks hearing the apparition of Scheuler had no problems with its accent.

OR It's an AI driven thing and the AI has corrected for observed drift in local speech patterns.

Don't think you can exclude anything very much on the basis that the hearers had no problem in understanding. Just sayin'...
Post by cnrd22   » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

Looking in the FAQ for Safehold as suggested on another topic, the following passage from DW seemed quite relevant, as it reminded one of the ending of TFT and suggesting what will be in the "testimony":

"I'll leave you with one last thought. I could have had Nimue trot out her recon skimmer three days after she woke up in the cave, nuke Zion and all the major sources of the Church's military capabilities, then appear as "the Archangel Nimue," decree that the Church had fallen into corruption (as it had) and that she had been sent by God with the new dispensation, completing the teaching which had been interrupted by Shan-wei's "rebellion" when those claiming to be Langhorne's true followers had actually perverted the historical record of what had happened. In fact, Shan-wei was the first victim of the rebellion against Langhorne, to whom she was loyal to the moment of Armageddon Reef's destruction, and the true traitor was Chihiro, who proceeded to pervert and twist everything Langhorne had intended as his full teaching. That triumph of the Dark in the War of the Fallen established a thousand years of darkness on Safehold, making the Church's corruption inevitable, but the time has come to right the wrong which was done so many centuries ago and return humankind to the paths of righteousness, including the responsible use of technology which Shan-wei, as Langhorne's true, loyal lieutenant had been entrusted to reveal and teach before Chihiro the Foul's sinful, ambitious betrayal and revolt."

Return to Safehold