Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Moments you want to see in the next book (TFT Spoilers)
Post by Julia Minor   » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:36 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, first one thing I missed in TFT is more info about Paityr Wylsynn besides the fact that he's now a Bishop. Is he married? If so, does he have children? And so forth.

And do we now have an Inner Circle member as the highest ranking Schulerite in Charis? :twisted:
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:26 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Well, we don't know if there are other Schulerites in Charis. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Julia Minor wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:Well, first one thing I missed in TFT is more info about Paityr Wylsynn besides the fact that he's now a Bishop. Is he married? If so, does he have children? And so forth.

And do we now have an Inner Circle member as the highest ranking Schulerite in Charis? :twisted:
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by DMcCunney   » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:05 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

Julia Minor wrote:

Quite possibly the only Schuelerite in Charis.
______
Dennis
Post by DMcCunney   » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:52 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

DrakBibliophile wrote:Getting a bit more serious, if the appearance of Schueler wasn't Nahrmahn's doing, then whoever/whatever did it likely has Terran Federation Technology and thus could get a copy to Bishop Paityr even in Charis. ;)
That would require a stealthed remote to make delivery. Owl's stealthed remotes work in part because the other side has no idea such things exist.

The IC does, and I suspect getting something like a duplicate of the copy of the Testimony of Schueler that appeared in Schuler's cathedral to Bishop Paityr while not being detected by Merlin's SNARCs would be a non-trivial challenge.

Besides, getting one to Paityr isn't really necessary, even assuming the the Schueler who appeared in his cathedral is well enough informed to know a direct descendant of the Wylsynn's he dealt with is alive and living in Charis. The key point I can see to Schueler's exercise is getting that volume to the Temple. The reaction, especially if the Archbishop of that Episcopate accompanies it and describes the appearance of Schueler and what he said before he left behind the book should be extreme consternation. :P
______
Dennis
Post by drothgery   » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:23 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Julia Minor wrote:And do we now have an Inner Circle member as the highest ranking Schulerite in Charis? :twisted:

Actually, I've kind of suspected that Maikel's grooming Paityr as his eventual successor since LAMA...
Post by DarthBear   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:06 am

DarthBear
Midshipman

I would like to have the entirety of the Book of Schueler as the first part of the new Book and the second part on how it affects everything on Safehold.

A the end I would love to see Schueler's PICA emerge from his tomb to reclaim his "key" as a surprise twist. :D
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:47 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

IIRC David Weber has stated that Paityr will be Maikel's successor.

drothgery wrote:
Julia Minor wrote:And do we now have an Inner Circle member as the highest ranking Schulerite in Charis? :twisted:

Actually, I've kind of suspected that Maikel's grooming Paityr as his eventual successor since LAMA...
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Why would Owl be looking for stealthed remotes?

He "knows" that his are the only ones on Safehold! :twisted: :twisted:

Everybody is "expecting" major response of some sort from "what's under the Temple" and/or Returning Archangels.

Nobody is expecting a sneaky response from somebody else with TF technology.

Of course, David Weber can be sneaky. :lol:

DMcCunney wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:Getting a bit more serious, if the appearance of Schueler wasn't Nahrmahn's doing, then whoever/whatever did it likely has Terran Federation Technology and thus could get a copy to Bishop Paityr even in Charis. ;)
That would require a stealthed remote to make delivery. Owl's stealthed remotes work in part because the other side has no idea such things exist.

The IC does, and I suspect getting something like a duplicate of the copy of the Testimony of Schueler that appeared in Schuler's cathedral to Bishop Paityr while not being detected by Merlin's SNARCs would be a non-trivial challenge.

Besides, getting one to Paityr isn't really necessary, even assuming the the Schueler who appeared in his cathedral is well enough informed to know a direct descendant of the Wylsynn's he dealt with is alive and living in Charis. The key point I can see to Schueler's exercise is getting that volume to the Temple. The reaction, especially if the Archbishop of that Episcopate accompanies it and describes the appearance of Schueler and what he said before he left behind the book should be extreme consternation. :P
______
Dennis
Post by DMcCunney   » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 pm

DMcCunney
Captain of the List

drothgery wrote:
He'd be a logical successor. An issue is that there are other Archbishops in the Church of Charis, and Paityr is only a Bishop.

A bigger issue is that Paityr is too valuable in his role as Intendant, and Director of the Patent Office. Everyone in Charis has always respected his faith and his integrity, and knew that the attestations he gave were not tied to the size of the bribe offered. (And while we have no TextEv, I would not be surprised if he got consulted by folks worried they might be in gray areas, and wanted advice about whether they were safe to proceed in that direction before it reached a formal request for attestation where Paityr would have to take official notice on the record.)

His reputation has spread to the rest of the Empire of Charis, and if he approves a new idea or technique, that's enough for the Empire.

Whoever succeeds Michael probably does need to be an Inner Circle member, and Paityr is.

The biggest problem is that nobody can truly fill the role Michael plays. It's his sheer personality and personal impact on those he meets that are a good part of what he's achieved. His passing will leave a hole that can't be filled.

(And thinking about it, Cayleb was having conniptions a few books back about Staynair's refusal to accept adequte security precautions because they would get in teh way of what he was trying to do. Staynair calmly said that his secretary had a list of possible replacements for his should something happen to him. I wonder who was on it?)

We get the impression for TextEv that Merlin's upgrading everybody's nanies to MilSpec has a side effect of a somewhat longer lifespan than they might have otherwise had, so we will have Michael with us for a while yet.
______
Dennis
Post by dwileye13   » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:02 pm

dwileye13
Captain of the List

DMcCunney wrote:

So I'd love to have more scenes with him in the next book.

Oh. Assuming that Nahrmahn isn't responsible for Schueler's appearance, I'd love for Bishop Paityr Wylsynn to receive his own copy (directly from Schueler) of the Testimony of Schueler. :twisted:

I don't see Schueler giving him his own copy, as how would he get it to Charis?

I can see Paityr visiting the Temple as Staynair's official representative to see the Testimony of Schueler first hand.
______
Dennis

Many things may be in the Memory Module called the Key
I am not young enough to know everything!

Return to Safehold