Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Rape Successful?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Rape Successful?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:05 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:
tlb wrote:You make it sound as though I was saying that Honor would not want Pavel to face charges. Instead I was suggesting that Honor would have challenged him to a duel immediately, provided that academy and RMN rules allowed it. Otherwise it would of course have gone to trial.

Not then.

Had she been physically beat up and raped? No, she would not have challenged him until after justice had a chance to try and jail the MF.

Her initial response was appropriate. Defend herself when attacked. Her subsequent response was just to walk away from it all.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This is another nice thread, peering under the sk[in irt]. My word, methinks I've come to be nosey!

We are missing some very important points. Building on the conversational groundwork lain here.

Young's method of incapacitating Honor could be seen as attempted murder. He got Nimitz to ingest the drug by spiking his celery, oblivious to how much it would actually take to do the job while risking poisoning other officers from eating tainted celery. How would Young have delivered his payload to Honor? Or know the dosage for her overactive metabolism and body mass? Young would have been risking attempted murder. That demands a challenge by duel!

BUT!

It has all become a moot point now, because Young chooses to poison Honor with cotinine as well - a date rape drug - then it becomes obvious that Nimitz was poisoned too, which could have resulted in his death. Nimitz has a right to deal with his own enemy. And you can bet it ain't going to court. Lest it's a court of claws.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

It's time to scratch the hard questions. Questions itching up my butt . . .

Will Treecats be considered totally equal to humans? Does a Treecat have a right to protect himself if he feels threatened? How far does that go? If a Treecat is intentionally slipped a Mickey to incapacitate him, does Nimitz have a right to attack? If he is found guilty, then the 'Cat should be able to accept jail time.

Let's consider another scenario very close to our hearts recently. Had Nimitz slit Burdette's throat in the ramblings thread, would he simply have been subjected to the legal system or summarily shot?

Which should happen, if the defendant is human?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:15 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:It's time to scratch the hard questions. Questions itching up my butt . . .

Will Treecats be considered totally equal to humans? Does a Treecat have a right to protect himself if he feels threatened? How far does that go? If a Treecat is intentionally slipped a Mickey to incapacitate him, does Nimitz have a right to attack? If he is found guilty, then the 'Cat should be able to accept jail time.

Let's consider another scenario very close to our hearts recently. Had Nimitz slit Burdette's throat in the ramblings thread, would he simply have been subjected to the legal system or summarily shot?

The problem is sort of moot. At the time of the duel, there had been no rulings. If Nimitz had not been shot by a guard, etc., he would have been held as a prisoner while the issues were discussed. The loss of Honor probably would have killed him anyway. Remember that most cats died when their humans did.
Which should happen, if the defendant is human?
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:17 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:It's time to scratch the hard questions. Questions itching up my butt . . .

Let's consider another scenario very close to our hearts recently. Had Nimitz slit Burdette's throat in the ramblings thread, would he simply have been subjected to the legal system or summarily shot? Which should happen, if the defendant is human?

ldwechsler wrote:The problem is sort of moot. At the time of the duel, there had been no rulings. If Nimitz had not been shot by a guard, etc., he would have been held as a prisoner while the issues were discussed. The loss of Honor probably would have killed him anyway. Remember that most cats died when their humans did.

Cleaned up quotes.

Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:49 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Let's consider another scenario very close to our hearts recently. Had Nimitz slit Burdette's throat in the ramblings thread, would he simply have been subjected to the legal system or summarily shot? Which should happen, if the defendant is human?

ldwechsler wrote:The problem is sort of moot. At the time of the duel, there had been no rulings. If Nimitz had not been shot by a guard, etc., he would have been held as a prisoner while the issues were discussed. The loss of Honor probably would have killed him anyway. Remember that most cats died when their humans did.

Cleaned up quotes.

I'm trying to point out the implications of the Treecats found to be an intelligent species needing to be integrated in every way into human society. Which means man has to watch his step now, lest he finds himself on the receiving end of some sharp claws.

Let's consider a common situation where a bunch of yahoos - who haven't exactly gotten the message - get into a reckless mood and decide to taunt a treecat. Perhaps with what they feel is a harmless act of bullying. Let's say shooting a cat repeatedly with plastic darts from a child's toy. The 'Cat may not view it as harmless, seeing the possibility of losing an eye, the same thing a child's parents warn against. What's a 'Cat supposed to do, turn the other cheek?

<I turned the other cheek, it didn't like it either.>

Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:02 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Cleaned up quotes.

Thank you.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:07 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:

Cleaned up quotes.

I'm trying to point out the implications of the Treecats found to be an intelligent species needing to be integrated in every way into human society. Which means man has to watch his step now, lest he finds himself on the receiving end of some sharp claws.

Let's consider a common situation where a bunch of yahoos - who haven't exactly gotten the message - get into a reckless mood and decide to taunt a treecat. Perhaps with what they feel is a harmless act of bullying. Let's say shooting a cat repeatedly with plastic darts from a child's toy. The 'Cat may not view it as harmless, seeing the possibility of losing an eye, the same thing a child's parents warn against. What's a 'Cat supposed to do, turn the other cheek?

<I turned the other cheek, it didn't like it either.>[/quote]

Most people on Manticore and Sphynx know about treecats. Also, cats are really good at throwing things. Would you want to be the recipients of one of those darts?

And the cats are fast. They can get into the face of those doing the annoyance and use true hands to annoy without killing.

Plus, people will recall that it's called "The Queen's Justice".
Would you want to piss off this particular queen by damaging a treecat?
Post by tlb   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Cleaned up quotes.

Another day, another stone to push back up that hill.
Post by saber964   » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:04 pm

saber964
Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
cthia" quote="cthia wrote:It's time to scratch the hard questions. Questions itching up my butt . . .

Cleaned up quotes.

<I turned the other cheek, it didn't like it either.>[/quote]

Most people on Manticore and Sphynx know about treecats. Also, cats are really good at throwing things. Would you want to be the recipients of one of those darts?

And the cats are fast. They can get into the face of those doing the annoyance and use true hands to annoy without killing.

Plus, people will recall that it's called "The Queen's Justice".
Would you want to piss off this particular queen by damaging a treecat?[/quote]

Treecats understand proportional response to situations. Consult Tennessee Bolgia and the Macabees coup assassins. Lionheart and company shredded his environment suit into confetti and left him with a load of scratches and Nimitz killed his first target and blinded the rest who were later interrogated. If a bunch of punk kids were harassing a treecat that way, I can see a couple of kids hiking home with a boatload of scratches in there underwear and trying t o explain to there parents why the treecats did that to them.

Return to Honorverse