Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Into the Light sample chapter

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Re: Into the Light sample chapter
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:52 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:So, are Vlad and Steve really off to commit genocide? Or are we just about to see an example of how sensible humans deal with puppies - they just become the Alpha :lol: :lol:

They have major surprise but they can't maintain the advantage. Thus they must hit hard--all spaceflight (including ground-to-space weapons) must be destroyed. To ensure accomplishing that they're going to have to engage in considerable overkill. Whether that results in a wipe or not they probably won't know.
Post by Isilith   » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:50 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Loren Pechtel wrote:
Randomiser wrote:So, are Vlad and Steve really off to commit genocide? Or are we just about to see an example of how sensible humans deal with puppies - they just become the Alpha :lol: :lol:

They have major surprise but they can't maintain the advantage. Thus they must hit hard--all spaceflight (including ground-to-space weapons) must be destroyed. To ensure accomplishing that they're going to have to engage in considerable overkill. Whether that results in a wipe or not they probably won't know.

This is exactly the point I was making. They HAVE to be the hammer of god onto every Shongairi they can find. They WILL wipe out Humanity if they get the smallest chance to do so, unless they are taken out first.
Post by Bahzellstudent   » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Bahzellstudent
Lieutenant Commander

wow - shows how long it has been since I came onto the forum that I had completely missed a new snippet from RFC; I had no idea he had planned a sequel. Part of me wants to tell him to get back to writing more for Honor, and Bahzell and Merlin - but actually I would read into the Light as well!
Post by Theemile   » Thu May 30, 2019 3:55 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Isilith wrote:
lyonheart wrote:Hi all,

My only quibble is the 80 tons the 5 Chinooks are carrying, double their usual max load; unless they have somehow drastically increased engine power etc, but at the moment I've forgotten the year this is supposed to have happened, so I suppose its possible in ~20 years or so.

Still I think it looks very promising.

All the best Christmas wishes to all,

L

Also, the father thinks they are Shongair aircraft, and bigger than ours. I would think that they are just very similar to Chinooks and that is why Torino calls them that? Or, we took the Chinook design and added in some Shongair tech upgrades and plugged that design into the Shongair fabricators that we now have?

Currently, the Army is Trialing replacing the Engines in the current Chinook with the new engines destined for the CH-53K King Stallion.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-to-test-ch-47-chinook-with-two-7500shp-engin-458380/

This would up the engine HP on the Chinook by over 50%. Current empty weight is ~11 Tons, with max takeoff at ~22.5 Tons. If the 50% extra power can be completely dedicated to load, A single Chinook should be able to haul ~20 Tons of cargo, as long as the airframe and Rotors can handle it. That would give 5 upengined Chinooks the lift capability of ~100 Tons.

So expanding the Chinook to to carry 16 tons each is something probable out of just the human kit in the next couple years.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."

Return to Out of the Dark