Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

BC(P)s with Keyhole II and Apollo pods!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: BC(P)s with Keyhole II and Apollo pods!
Post by ldwechsler   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:44 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I end my post with a humorous quip about Shannon and Sandra so everyone fixates on it.

Two posts out of seven even mention that. Where do you get 'everyone fixating on it'?

Methinks you have a greatly inflated sense of your own importance.
———————————
Not everybody should go to college. Some folks, you send 'em to college and you just wind up with an educated idiot.

I'm for "Really don't ask so we don't have to hear any more of this stuff."
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:59 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Imaginos1892 wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:I end my post with a humorous quip about Shannon and Sandra so everyone fixates on it.

Two posts out of seven even mention that. Where do you get 'everyone fixating on it'?

Methinks you have a greatly inflated sense of your own importance.
———————————
Not everybody should go to college. Some folks, you send 'em to college and you just wind up with an educated idiot.

All of the subsequent posts have segued from the quip to various entanglements involving Simoes then hid wife then Houdini which has been thoroughly flogged.
Post by lyonheart   » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi LDWechsler,

That's so cool! 8-)

Can you share some of stories and experiences?

I hope you and he recorded them, so much "I was there" from personal eyewitnesses has been lost, like my own parents because we thought we had more time.

Family history can have some fantastic fascinating aspects. :)

All the very best,

L

P.S. I was among those early guys back in 2007 etc arguing that Apollo-Agamemnon BCP's, were the way to make up the SDP gap between Manticore and Haven, since they could be built so much faster, and combined with tractored exterior pods easily have more pods that the RHN SDP's 400.

I doubt UH covered all the action in the protectorates, so we could some other battles where the stop gap substitute was used.

Interesting times...

L

ldwechsler wrote:
kzt wrote:Simoes was not very deep into the onion. The only thing he knew of interest was the streak drive and of the existence of the spider drive. He knew nothing of Darius or of the grand plan. The thing with his daughter was not some super-secret deal, it was just how Mesa did things.

Basically he was a guy working for a commercial R&D organization with a lot of NDAs that had a bit of an obsession with security.

Even more to the point, Zach McBryde was evacuated despite his brother. A divorce wouldn't have bothered the leadership at all. But we have no idea what she did.

Although I disagree with what seems the majority and feel that Simoes did know more than the theory. Unless the machines worked perfectly first time out, he would almost certainly be asked to help figure out why things went wrong. Even the physicists on the A-bomb knew most of the engineering issues, even if it wasn't their job to fix them. Sometimes, the theory has to somewhat adjusted and even more often the engineering has to be adjusted several times to meet the theory. My godfather worked on the Manhattan project in a theory role and knew many of the tech problems in creating the trigger.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:32 pm

TFLYTSNBN

lyonheart wrote:Hi LDWechsler,

That's so cool! 8-)

I hope you and he recorded them, so much "I was there" from personal eyewitnesses has been lost, like my own parents because we thought we had more time.

All the very best,

L

P.S. I was among those early guys back in 2007 etc arguing that Apollo-Agamemnon BCP's, were the way to make up the SDP gap between Manticore and Haven, since they could be built so much faster, and combined with tractored exterior pods easily have more pods that the RHN SDP's 400.

I doubt UH covered all the action in the protectorates, so we could some other battles where the stop gap substitute was used.

Interesting times...

L

ldwechsler wrote:

Even more to the point, Zach McBryde was evacuated despite his brother. A divorce wouldn't have bothered the leadership at all. But we have no idea what she did.

Although I disagree with what seems the majority and feel that Simoes did know more than the theory. Unless the machines worked perfectly first time out, he would almost certainly be asked to help figure out why things went wrong. Even the physicists on the A-bomb knew most of the engineering issues, even if it wasn't their job to fix them. Sometimes, the theory has to somewhat adjusted and even more often the engineering has to be adjusted several times to meet the theory. My godfather worked on the Manhattan project in a theory role and knew many of the tech problems in creating the trigger.

The concept of utilizing Apollo with BC(P)s was voiciferously advocated by a certain NAMELESSFLY for which he was persecuted, viciously.
Post by ldwechsler   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:05 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Hi LDWechsler,

That's so cool! 8-)

All the very best,

I got fairly few cute stories...there was a lid of secrecy on the whole thing. Had he recorded it, he might have spent the rest of his life in prison. J. Edgar Hoover did not have a great sense of humor.

But I found out after his death that he told my uncles a few things...both of them were in related fields. And one of the keys was that a lot of information was shared inhouse by those who were isolated from the rest of America. Based on what some people here say, the physicists could have gone home around 1942 and let the engineers work. But they kept in close communication.

On a far less secret note, as a school administrator responsible for attendance management in New York City, I worked with engineers and programmers to design effective programs and we were always in touch. There were dozens of changes made based on experience.

If Simoes was not dealing with anything to do with engineering on the streak drive, how did he spend his time at work? The theory work was there and it was successful. But there is always more to do. And you do not get science/tech breakthroughs by really limiting information to those who need it.

L

Interesting times...

L

ldwechsler wrote:

The concept of utilizing Apollo with BC(P)s was voiciferously advocated by a certain NAMELESSFLY for which he was persecuted, viciously.[/quote]
Post by kzt   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:20 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Those square brackets are actually important, with them spaced randomly you get undeciperable wall of text.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:54 pm

TFLYTSNBN

kzt wrote:Those square brackets are actually important, with them spaced randomly you get undeciperable wall of text.

Unfortunately; it can be difficult to accurately cut snd paste quotes which results in rather confusing posts. One can either get upset about inexpert quoting or graciously accept it as an honest mistake.
Post by tlb   » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:02 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:Those square brackets are actually important, with them spaced randomly you get undeciperable wall of text.

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Unfortunately; it can be difficult to accurately cut snd paste quotes which results in rather confusing posts. One can either get upset about inexpert quoting or graciously accept it as an honest mistake.

It is not that difficult, especially if a person takes the time to preview that text before submitting it. And certain people do not seem to getting better with practice.

I always preview the text and then reread it after posting to make sure that I can fix anything I see that does not look right.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:08 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:It is not that difficult, especially if a person takes the time to preview that text before submitting it. And certain people do not seem to getting better with practice.

I always preview the text and then reread it after posting to make sure that I can fix anything I see that does not look right.
Same. Still it'd be nice (if not always optimal) if the forum offered to automatically remove quotes that exceed its nesting limit.

I'm guessing that getting around that warning is the primary reason people start trying to edit the quotes. (Sure sometimes it'll be very confusing if a previous poster had broken a post into multiple quotes, replying between them - and it won't help if people type their replies inside the quoted text - but at least it won't mangle the post attribution)

Return to Honorverse