Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 36 guests

Cauldron of Ghosts - Anthony Zhilov, GAUL

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Cauldron of Ghosts - Anthony Zhilov, GAUL
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:54 am

Peregrinator
Commander

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I was re-reading the Cauldron of Ghosts e-ARC recently and I noticed when Zachariah McBryde and Gail Weiss were fighting their GAUL handler, Anthony Zhilov, that an "organic laminate knife" came out of the back of the latter's hand. I assume that "organic" in this context means part of Zhilov's body and not merely made out of organic materials.

Do GAULs have weaponized bodies and, if so, are the weapons genetic or added on after birth?
Re: Cauldron of Ghosts - Anthony Zhilov, GAUL
Post by tlb   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:06 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:Apologies if this has been asked before.

I was re-reading the Cauldron of Ghosts e-ARC recently and I noticed when Zachariah McBryde and Gail Weiss were fighting their GAUL handler, Anthony Zhilov, that an "organic laminate knife" came out of the back of the latter's hand. I assume that "organic" in this context means part of Zhilov's body and not merely made out of organic materials.

Do GAULs have weaponized bodies and, if so, are the weapons genetic or added on after birth?

I do not know, but suspect it is surgically implanted. There is this from Storm from the Shadows, chapter 22:
The elevator stopped. Kyrillos Taliadoros—the newly assigned bodyguard from the same gamma line which had produced Albrecht Detweiler's bodyguard—stepped through the opening doors first, glancing up and down the corridor. Taliadoros' physical senses had been sharply enhanced as part of his genotype's modifications, and Anisimovna knew additional odd bits and pieces of hardware had been surgically implanted to help suit him for his present function. She'd discovered that even Detweiler's bodyguard's fearsome reputation actually understated what he was capable of, and the same was true of Taliadoros. Which, in some ways, was almost as frightening as it was comforting.
Post by Peregrinator   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:16 am

Peregrinator
Commander

Nice ... too bad Zhilov didn't have a pulser implanted
Post by BillT52   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am

BillT52
Ensign

Peregrinator wrote:Nice ... too bad Zhilov didn't have a pulser implanted

While the pulsar would be more lethal, I assume the organic laminate knife wouldn't appear on any scan for weapons while a pulser would light up the scanner display like a nova. A better weapon isn't really better if you don't have it with you when you need it because it was confiscated at the door.
Post by Theemile   » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:53 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

BillT52 wrote:

While the pulsar would be more lethal, I assume the organic laminate knife wouldn't appear on any scan for weapons while a pulser would light up the scanner display like a nova. A better weapon isn't really better if you don't have it with you when you need it because it was confiscated at the door.

And, Let's not forget that the base of those augmentations, is a man whose size and musculature would make an American Football center defensive linesman look petite.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by stewart   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

Theemile wrote:Nice ... too bad Zhilov didn't have a pulser implanted

While the pulsar would be more lethal, I assume the organic laminate knife wouldn't appear on any scan for weapons while a pulser would light up the scanner display like a nova. A better weapon isn't really better if you don't have it with you when you need it because it was confiscated at the door.[/quote]

And, Let's not forget that the base of those augmentations, is a man whose size and musculature would make an American Football center defensive linesman look petite.[/quote]

-------------

Aah, Grasshopper, a GAUL bodyguard would not need to look like a lineman or linebacker if their reactions and agility rivaled Bruce Lee or Quai Chang Cain...

-- Stewart
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Faster reflexes, more efficient muscles, better coordination, enhanced intelligence — like the Meyerdahl Beta genome! Guess who has it?

Has anybody given any thought to just moving the tendon attachments farther out from the joints, for greater leverage? That alone could increase strength by 50% or more.

You mean GOOD THING Zhilov didn't have a pulser. We're rooting FOR Zach and Gail, remember?
———————————
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:11 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Imaginos1892 wrote:Faster reflexes, more efficient muscles, better coordination, enhanced intelligence — like the Meyerdahl Beta genome! Guess who has it?

And guess who does have an undetectable pulser built in :)
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:30 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:Faster reflexes, more efficient muscles, better coordination, enhanced intelligence — like the Meyerdahl Beta genome! Guess who has it?

And guess who does have an undetectable pulser built in :)

Are we sure that it is undetectable? Or simply undetected as a weapon? IOW, her artificial appendage is detectable?

She also has an undetectable emotions sensor built-in. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by stewart   » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:07 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Faster reflexes, more efficient muscles, better coordination, enhanced intelligence — like the Meyerdahl Beta genome! Guess who has it?

And guess who does have an undetectable pulser built in :)[/quote]
Are we sure that it is undetectable? Or simply undetected as a weapon? IOW, her artificial appendage is detectable?

She also has an undetectable emotions sensor built-in. LOL[/quote]

---------------

Or at least undetectable by "current" Manty and Andie sensors...

-- Stewart

Return to Honorverse