Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Zhermo Hyggyns - how to read his name

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Zhermo Hyggyns - how to read his name
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Most of RFCs characters safeholdian names have a [fairly] obvious standard english equivalent.

Hyggyns is fine, but Zhermo???

any insights into what this might be?
Re: Zhermo Hyggyns - how to read his name
Post by Fiannawolf   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:17 pm

Fiannawolf
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

And that's one of the reasons I don't give any of the audio narrators a hard time about pronunciations. XD

But yeah, lets see what it would sound like in Microsoft Sam Voice....hmmm....

Zhermo....
Zermo.
Hermo.
Ermo.

Horatio where for art thou? XD
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Fiannawolf wrote:And that's one of the reasons I don't give any of the audio narrators a hard time about pronunciations. XD

Zhermo....
Zermo.
Hermo.
Ermo.

I'm seeing a phonetic drift from Guillermo. So the pronounciation is closer to jermo with the j more like the French pronounciation of jean.
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:46 pm

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Fiannawolf wrote:And that's one of the reasons I don't give any of the audio narrators a hard time about pronunciations. XD

Zhermo....
Zermo.
Hermo.
Ermo.

I'm seeing a phonetic drift from Guillermo. So the pronounciation is closer to jermo with the j more like the French pronounciation of jean.

ah - that sounds distinctly plausible... sort of goes with the banker Fernandez [if I have that right]
Post by ecortez   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:57 am

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:I'm seeing a phonetic drift from Guillermo. So the pronounciation is closer to jermo with the j more like the French pronounciation of jean.

I was just waiting for that guy to suggest building a wall and making Charis pay for it. :D

Your theory is about the only one that fits. At least I've never heard a name pronounced any closer to "Zhermo". You'd expect there to be a few uniquely Safeholdian names though, with no direct equivalent in Terran English.
Post by FriarBob   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:22 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

ecortez wrote:
PeterZ wrote:I'm seeing a phonetic drift from Guillermo. So the pronounciation is closer to jermo with the j more like the French pronounciation of jean.

I was just waiting for that guy to suggest building a wall and making Charis pay for it. :D

You'll be waiting a very long time. Not because Weber supports him. You and I alike have *NO* clue which (if any) recent president Weber supports, because he's careful -- and smart -- enough to not piss off potential buyers of his books by making parallels to super-recent political hay.

Given how sneaky he is I probably shouldn't say 'never', but tough, I'm saying it anyway. You will never see any walls in his books, neither in a positive OR negative light. Or TARP-style bailouts. Or (probably) any reference to a 'coalition of the willing'. And odds are extremely high you won't ever hear about blue dresses or cigars either. (In part because he clearly thought -- mistakenly -- that their day was over when he named his Grand Inquisitor.)

You *might* get someone tripping falling off a train car. That is far enough in the past he might well use it. Ditto something about a peanut farmer or a former actor. Especially among those who are now 'safely' dead and therefore simply cannot have a political resurrection. But it's FAR more likely he'll restrict himself to parallels to people from the timeframe of FDR/Churchill/Hitler/Mussolini/Stalin/etc and/or earlier even than that.
Post by jtg452   » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:

Zhermo....
Zermo.
Hermo.
Ermo.

I figured it was a drift of Guillermo, too, but I'm bad about coming up with something 'close enough' (Guillermo in this case) on the spur of the moment while I'm reading and just moving on. The true pronunciation of the name doesn't have an impact on the story, so I don't really care.
Post by ecortez   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:05 am

ecortez
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

FriarBob wrote:You'll be waiting a very long time. Not because Weber supports him. You and I alike have *NO* clue which (if any) recent president Weber supports, because he's careful -- and smart -- enough to not piss off potential buyers of his books by making parallels to super-recent political hay.

You're taking my smartass remark more seriously than it was intended. Yes, there are parallels between the situation in Siddarmark and real world political events of the past fifteen years, but then ... we humans do have a tendency to make the same mistakes over and over. Profiteers and power hungry leaders taking advantage of a crisis is as old as civilization. US history alone provides numerous examples of this. Not to mention well intentioned foreign policy initiatives that only made things worse, which we also see them struggling with in TFT.
Post by PeterZ   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:23 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

ecortez wrote:
FriarBob wrote:You'll be waiting a very long time. Not because Weber supports him. You and I alike have *NO* clue which (if any) recent president Weber supports, because he's careful -- and smart -- enough to not piss off potential buyers of his books by making parallels to super-recent political hay.

You're taking my smartass remark more seriously than it was intended. Yes, there are parallels between the situation in Siddarmark and real world political events of the past fifteen years, but then ... we humans do have a tendency to make the same mistakes over and over. Profiteers and power hungry leaders taking advantage of a crisis is as old as civilization. US history alone provides numerous examples of this. Not to mention well intentioned foreign policy initiatives that only made things worse, which we also see them struggling with in TFT.

My take was FB making an overly serious response to encourage keeping politics in politics. That forum is replete with folks who wish to argue politics. The rest of these forums are for we who want to argue about the books. If history comes into play, well the books are RFC's commentary on history so are fair game.
Post by FriarBob   » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:My take was FB making an overly serious response to encourage keeping politics in politics. That forum is replete with folks who wish to argue politics. The rest of these forums are for we who want to argue about the books. If history comes into play, well the books are RFC's commentary on history so are fair game.

Got it in one.

Return to Safehold