Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 29 guests

What's next for the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: What's next for the Honorverse
Post by stewart   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

tlb wrote:My guess is the next book with Eric Flint about Zilwicki, Cachet and Harahap with cat beginning the search in Mesa for clues to the Onion.

----------------

I suspect the only forensic data Zilwicki, Cachet & Harahap, Inc. are going to encounter may be from a fizzled nuke blast that did not totally vaporize the targeted material.

Another option is captured data from the RTN assaults on the slave depot waypoints.

-- Stewart
Post by tlb   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:49 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:My guess is the next book with Eric Flint about Zilwicki, Cachet and Harahap with cat beginning the search in Mesa for clues to the Onion.

stewart wrote:I suspect the only forensic data Zilwicki, Cachet & Harahap, Inc. are going to encounter may be from a fizzled nuke blast that did not totally vaporize the targeted material.

Another option is captured data from the RTN assaults on the slave depot waypoints.

If the first is right then it will be a short book; we shall see (perhaps).

Information from slave depots can be expected to lead back to Manpower, but not the Onion.
Post by Michael Everett   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

tlb wrote:
tlb wrote:Information from slave depots can be expected to lead back to Manpower, but not the Onion.

IIRC, didn’t a couple of Mesan scientists spend some time at a slave depot while trying to figure out how to contact the Alignment for a pickup?
At least one of them was officially dead at the time, which might catch a certain person’s attention...
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by tlb   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:48 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:Information from slave depots can be expected to lead back to Manpower, but not the Onion.

Michael Everett wrote:IIRC, didn’t a couple of Mesan scientists spend some time at a slave depot while trying to figure out how to contact the Alignment for a pickup?
At least one of them was officially dead at the time, which might catch a certain person’s attention...

Fair point; we shall see. I made my guess based on the location of people at the end of UH, and other people can make theirs.
PS. I only said it would begin on Mesa, but there is nothing to stop the authors from moving them around.
Post by Loren Pechtel   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:13 am

Loren Pechtel
Rear Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:IIRC, didn’t a couple of Mesan scientists spend some time at a slave depot while trying to figure out how to contact the Alignment for a pickup?

Manticore already realizes people were pulled out, finding some proof of that isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know and one data anomaly like this isn't going to convince anyone else. What Manticore needs is information on where to look.
Post by kzt   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:11 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Loren Pechtel wrote:Manticore already realizes people were pulled out, finding some proof of that isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know and one data anomaly like this isn't going to convince anyone else. What Manticore needs is information on where to look.

They had that, but then the torchies machinegunned the lifeboats.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I really dislike the notion that important dangling threads will be lassoed in secondary novels other than mainline Honor novels. The author is getting up in the years and his health isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Probably not as good as he'd like it to be either.

Many series are left hanging in eye-gouging places. I suppose it's a little of my foresight. Many years into the future when upstart Sci-Fianodos stumble upon Weber like I did, it can't be expected that all of the peripheral novels will still be in print and able to be found. Or that knowledge of them will be common. Think about it, even in the here and now, people are always logging on and asking about the location of information that is not found in a mainline title. Project that reality 50 years or more into the future.

Leaving the Honorverse abandoned at the hidden entity without justice for at least the 'Cats is, is, is. . . a crime against nature! And I'd really like the formidable Sci-Fi series to be complete as a standalone. In and of itself.

The relevant economics of the peripheral novels notwithstanding, of course.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:50 am

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:I really dislike the notion that important dangling threads will be lassoed in secondary novels other than mainline Honor novels. The author is getting up in the years and his health isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Probably not as good as he'd like it to be either.

Many series are left hanging in eye-gouging places. I suppose it's a little of my foresight. Many years into the future when upstart Sci-Fianodos stumble upon Weber like I did, it can't be expected that all of the peripheral novels will still be in print and able to be found. Or that knowledge of them will be common. Think about it, even in the here and now, people are always logging on and asking about the location of information that is not found in a mainline title. Project that reality 50 years or more into the future.

Leaving the Honorverse abandoned at the hidden entity without justice for at least the 'Cats is, is, is. . . a crime against nature! And I'd really like the formidable Sci-Fi series to be complete as a standalone. In and of itself.

You have a point.

Jerry Pournelle died while still working on Janisairies, Mamlukes. Jennifer Pournelle wrote a great sequel to The Mote in Gods Eye but shows no sign of continuing.

In contrast, Larry Niven wrapped up his Known Space saga with the Fleet of Worlds series which culminates with the Piersons Puppetteers getting their asses kicked. The obvious potential to continue revolves around the Pak Protectors stealing the secret of the hyperdrive.

Fortunately; we now have the internet and Wikipedia to preserve our Sci Fi heritage.
Post by cthia   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:
cthia wrote:I really dislike the notion that important dangling threads will be lassoed in secondary novels other than mainline Honor novels. The author is getting up in the years and his health isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Probably not as good as he'd like it to be either.

You have a point.

Jerry Pournelle died while still working on Janisairies, Mamlukes. Jennifer Pournelle wrote a great sequel to The Mote in Gods Eye but shows no sign of continuing.

In contrast, Larry Niven wrapped up his Known Space saga with the Fleet of Worlds series which culminates with the Piersons Puppetteers getting their asses kicked. The obvious potential to continue revolves around the Pak Protectors stealing the secret of the hyperdrive.

Fortunately; we now have the internet and Wikipedia to preserve our Sci Fi heritage.

Thanks. And thank God for the internet and Wikipedia. Entities that surely didn't exist in our earlier days on this Earth. But, even they may not be able to help with anything other than a description of the missing novels. Moreover, who knows what the internet will ultimately become down the road, or the cost - therefore widespread use - of it. People are afraid of it now.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Loren Pechtel wrote:Manticore already realizes people were pulled out, finding some proof of that isn't going to tell them anything they don't already know and one data anomaly like this isn't going to convince anyone else. What Manticore needs is information on where to look.

They had that, but then the torchies machinegunned the lifeboats.

Given the way they were being evacuated, there's no reason to believe the slaver ship crews knew where the final destination was. In fact, there's every reason to believe they did NOT know the final destination. At best the Manties could have gotten the next planned stop from them, but by the time they could track it down any trace of the ships carrying evacuees would be long gone.

Return to Honorverse