Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests

Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Spoilers-Amazon's "Look Inside" TFT Spoilers-
Post by WeberFan   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:44 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

After reading this thread, and after some real soul searching, I took the plunge and logged in to my Amazon account. While I am not a Prime member, I HAVE ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon over the (many) years since I first got my Amazon account.

Interestingly, when I searched for the book and did the whole "look inside" thing, I was rewarded with close to 150 pages of content (excluding the stuff at the end). That's close to a quarter of the book. OK, a bit less than a quarter I guess. And a LOT of the stuff I saw was completely different than what I've seen reflected in this thread.

I will very definitely buy the book - I was always planning to get the eBook version when it's released - but was really torn about looking at the preview.

And no, I won't add any of what I read to this thread. Sorry :evil:

But it was REALLY, REALLY good... :roll:
Post by Theemile   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
Julia Minor wrote:
Another Prime member here, who pre-ordered the Kindle version months ago, and my view only goes to page 204 (with some skips) and then on to a set of excerpts from the glossary.

OTOH, I'm accessing it through AmazonSmile instead of the main site, so that could make a difference. And it's not that much longer until I'll be getting the full e-book.

I am a Prime member accessing it from the main site and I get the same 204 pages. I did get a couple of pages in 534-536.

I'm Prime also. I refreshed today and got about a 5-10% difference in the pages I saw after the snippets end. I got a couple points where the blocked segments moved 1-2 pages up or down, allowing for a fuller understanding (end or beginning) of a scene. it wasn't night and day, but it was obvious if you read it all.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by pbreed   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:02 pm

pbreed
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

When a new Safehold is due I set up an Ebay watch for the ARC copies that ofen get sold before the release date.

For TFT there was nothing until today...
As this is less than 30 days to actual release and I'm busy I'm not going to bid.

If any of you other desperadoes do win the bid, I have only one question...I'd like the answer to...
<Spoiler alert>

The thing that happens in the church in the last few pages of the book, was it setup by the inner circle, or was it setup by some earlier group.

Ebay item :392191993648
Post by cnrd22   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:16 pm

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

pbreed wrote:If any of you other desperadoes do win the bid, I have only one question...I'd like the answer to...
<Spoiler alert>

The thing that happens in the church in the last few pages of the book, was it setup by the inner circle, or was it setup by some earlier group.

Is that something to do with Schueler? From the extra spoilers I heard about the book beyond the "Look Inside", there was a mention of some fake testament of Schueler and an "Operation Androcles" (clear connection as afaik that was Schueler's given name) to be set in motion by Nahrmann and Owl once the Archangels fail to return in 915, but not sure if this is it or not...
Post by pbreed   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:06 pm

pbreed
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

<Big spoiler big spoiler big spoiler>
Amazon preview 2nd to the last page
In Schueler's church, Schueler appears and gives a book
He also says it was not "Shan-wei that fell it was Chichiro that lied."

What I was trying to understand was if this was operation Androcles or not. I totally missed that Androcles was Schueler's first name so yeah that is way cool,
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:02 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

pbreed wrote:<Big spoiler big spoiler big spoiler>

What I was trying to understand was if this was operation Androcles or not. I totally missed that Androcles was Schueler's first name so yeah that is way cool,

The problem I have with this being an Inner Circle operation is that it flies completely in the face of everything that they have done since the beginning - They have always said (and acted) "we will tell the truth - it just may not be the whole truth" since eventually a lie will get caught out and destroy their credibility. A Fake Testimony of Schueler, presented by a hologram of Schueler, would be completely outside this paradigm, so I don't think that that is it.

My take is that Schueler decided that 300 years (the original time frame for the reveal that Langhorne scrapped) was too short a time, and that it would be better to wait 1000 years. In addition, I think we worked to sabotage Chihiro's plans (subtlely), which explains the problems Merlin and Nahrman had in chapter one, and that he had agreed with Shan-Wei that the whells would come off of Langhorne's plans within that 1000 year period.

Not way to tell before the next book, unless can winkle some hints out of RFC before then (lotsa luck with that)
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 pm

dobriennm
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:

The problem I have with this being an Inner Circle operation is that it flies completely in the face of everything that they have done since the beginning - They have always said (and acted) "we will tell the truth - it just may not be the whole truth" since eventually a lie will get caught out and destroy their credibility. A Fake Testimony of Schueler, presented by a hologram of Schueler, would be completely outside this paradigm, so I don't think that that is it.

My take is that Schueler decided that 300 years (the original time frame for the reveal that Langhorne scrapped) was too short a time, and that it would be better to wait 1000 years. In addition, I think we worked to sabotage Chihiro's plans (subtlely), which explains the problems Merlin and Nahrman had in chapter one, and that he had agreed with Shan-Wei that the whells would come off of Langhorne's plans within that 1000 year period.

Not way to tell before the next book, unless can winkle some hints out of RFC before then (lotsa luck with that)

Looking at Google Books and using their search function for the words "Schueler", "Shan-wei", and "Chichiro", you can find snippets from pages 719, 720, and 722. From that it appears that the Schueler referenced is a 47 year old upper priest (from the Order of Bedards) assigned as an assistant rector to the Cathedral of the Holy Archangel Schueler in the city of Brohkamp in the Episcopate of Schueler.

Maybe he's revealing a book he found in the Bedards Library??

But I don't think it's a hologram of the original Schueler, not from the text I can see.

Searching for "Chihiro" leads to another snippet from page 219 where is sounds like someone(?) has found some concealed doors and a ramp leading underneath the church. So maybe someone found a book there?
Post by dobriennm   » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:37 pm

dobriennm
Commander

fallsfromtrees wrote:

dobriennm wrote:
Looking at Google Books and using their search function for the words "Schueler", "Shan-wei", and "Chichiro", you can find snippets from pages 719, 720, and 722. From that it appears that the Schueler referenced is a 47 year old upper priest (from the Order of Bedards) assigned as an assistant rector to the Cathedral of the Holy Archangel Schueler in the city of Brohkamp in the Episcopate of Schueler.

Maybe he's revealing a book he found in the Bedards Library??

But I don't think it's a hologram of the original Schueler, not from the text I can see.

Searching for "Chihiro" leads to another snippet from page 219 where is sounds like someone(?) has found some concealed doors and a ramp leading underneath the church. So maybe someone found a book there?

Okay, doing additional searches for "Archangel", "Fallen", "bunker" and "kyousei" it looks like they have found a hidden command bunker (page 219) belonging to maybe Schueler?

And that on pages 724 and 725 there looks to be an actual visitation from an Archangel (probably Schueler?) and a kyousei hi.

So maybe it is a hologram? Or (based on some other fragments) they were able to get into the memory module Father Paityr had and triggered something at the Cathedral?

At this point it's getting way too confusing for decent speculation. January 8th can't come too soon!!
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

fallsfromtrees wrote:

Gosh, what interesting speculation! :lol:

It could be any of the above, I suppose. Of course, there are problems with any one of them, aren't there?

If it's an artifact left by the actual Schueler, why did he leave it, where has it been all this time, and what prompted it to activate now?

If it's not an artifact left by the actual Schueler but the inner circle isn't responsible for it, who else might have been responsible and what could they possibly be after?

If it's the work of the inner circle, what could have inspired them to abandon their "no miracles" approach and what the heck happened to "always tell the truth, even if it's not exactly what your audience thinks it's hearing"?

My, oh, my! Questions, questions!

All I can say is . . . .

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum. :twisted:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Vinea   » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 pm

Vinea
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:
Gosh, what interesting speculation! :lol:

It could be any of the above, I suppose. Of course, there are problems with any one of them, aren't there?

If it's an artifact left by the actual Schueler, why did he leave it, where has it been all this time, and what prompted it to activate now?

If it's not an artifact left by the actual Schueler but the inner circle isn't responsible for it, who else might have been responsible and what could they possibly be after?

If it's the work of the inner circle, what could have inspired them to abandon their "no miracles" approach and what the heck happened to "always tell the truth, even if it's not exactly what your audience thinks it's hearing"?

My, oh, my! Questions, questions!

All I can say is . . . .

Tum-Te-Tum-Te-Tum. :twisted:

Has anyone mentioned recently that you aren't very nice? Just sayin'

Of all the Amazon perks one that I would like would be the ability to buy ARCs for anything they have "Look Inside" text for...I assume they have a close to final draft when that appears...

Return to Safehold