Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:59 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
cthia wrote:P-38.

That's a P-38, Eh. Canadian can opener. :p

They're military issued can openers to me Harold. Known as the P-38 unless you were in the Marines. They called it the John Wayne. I knew it as both since so many of my family members were in the military. In my social circles, you can tell someone's age by the name of the military rations he's familiar with. A-K. They were C-rations in my day.

I took cases of them with me to college because every college student wanted one. Even the girls. Students wore them on dog tags around their neck. I suppose I passed out 5-10k of those things over my college career. Girls loved those things. I met so many girls who came to my dorm room in search of their very own. With the use of a P-38, I got to meet and open many girls up, oh yea, cans too. The things were amazing ice breakers and incredible can openers. Those P-38s got me laid so often, I considered them my best friend at the time. The C-rations too. I went to college near the mountains and in the 70's there'd be horrendous snow storms hiding your car for months. It wasn't unusual to be stuck with opening cans for days or weeks. The C-rations even came with 4 cigarettes for smokers.

When I first read about Nimitz' claws, I thought of my old friend the P-38. I could open any can in less than a minute. Those things were sharp as, as, well... Nimitz' claws! Girls learned to do it very well too. There were P-38 contests held on campus!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:That's a P-38, Eh. Canadian can opener. :p

I keep chuckin' 'em at you and you keep ducking 'em.

P38, Eh == "P38(a) made in Canada."
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Jonathan_S   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:He has read the books thoroughly.

He just has the nerve to look under the skirt.

Though to be fair he does sometimes at least refresh his memory from the Honorverse wiki -- and seems to have surprising luck at ferreting out erroneous articles lurking in the bowls of that place. :D
Post by Fox2!   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:08 am

Fox2!
Commodore

Daryl wrote:At this point in this fictional novel, the villain has noticed that the heroine is female (therefore by his culture weaker and softer), wounded, and exhausted. He also knows that he has practiced for years at this martial art, and attained a high rank, while she has only had a few months in a busy schedule to "play" with the sword. I'd be putting money on the villain. Mind you I imagine that if he had won this, his life would have been short anyway, as he would be known as a killer of children, plus someone who took advantage of a potentially breeding female and killed her while she was injured and exhausted. Not a fair test.

Burdette would have out-lived Honor only by the time required for Nimitz to launch a disemboweling attack on him. Even if every Armsman in the Chamber fired at him, Nimitz would succeed in killing Burdette before dying himself.
Post by cthia   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:He has read the books thoroughly.

He just has the nerve to look under the skirt.

Though to be fair he does sometimes at least refresh his memory from the Honorverse wiki -- and seems to have surprising luck at ferreting out erroneous articles lurking in the bowls of that place. :D

Well, as long as we are being fair, let's mention how many threads he creates. Very successful threads. Record breaking threads.* And how many skirts he looks under to get to the real juicy stuff. Then compare it to the number of threads most of the plaintiffs create at all, let alone successful ones. Then it should be expected that his time prohibits him from shying away from "quick refreshers" like Wikipedia. Especially since he'd only stumbled upon Weber in 2014.

One thread catapulted past 1000 posts in less than 90 days.
There are several 1000 post threads.
Several more than 750.
Several more than 500.

It could be that people visit those threads to disagree with me. But if I detested threads as much, I wouldn't waste my time. It was called to my attention that my threads create lots of jealousy because of their success. I balked at such a theory choosing to give adults more credit. Time has proved my friends (and niece) correct. Also, I personally exceeded 10,000 posts. It is a curious coincidence that the closest poster to that stat is also a personal pain in my posterior, which is also a stat one of my friends called to my attention. The quickness of my rank was also something that initially slipped my notice. When I reached 10,000 posts, my friends called that to my attention. I got so much jealous heat over my fast rank I asked Duckk to strip my rank. I offered to be the first civilian so my post count wouldn't keep climbing. That way, I could simply get on with what I like best, book discussions.

At any rate, most plaintiffs fail to create threads of their own. Probably because they can't grasp a single exciting thing out of any story. They also fail to fail in the creation of speedbumps in others. All in all, I do wish Americans would stop embarrassing Americans. I have foreign friends who can't believe the crap I put up with.

The Honorverse Best Seller List initially earned me accusations of creating fanfic. Despite so many positive remarks. Although to be honest, I was surprised that one made it past customs. Duckk eighty-sixed a few of my threads with an explanation that they skirted too close to the author's fanfic rule. One thread I simply knew would be an entertaining thread about plots. "Honorverse Wish List of Plots" or something like that. Just like Honor in the current conversation in this thread, my mind was elsewhere and was not on fanfic. I didn't really know what fanfic was. I can't apologize for not being boring. If I was stranded on an island, I'd be good company to myself. My father taught me long ago to see what others don't. It has served me well throughout my life.

THIS THREAD still has detractors, and those who said I created it for post count, as if I am as shallow as they. It never occurred to them that I created it out of a sense of politeness. When I first joined, I hated interrupting threads to ask an off topic question and I hated creating a new thread for one answer. Especially since I most likely already had several in the pot. I make it a habit to post in everyone's thread out of respect. I like looking under the top layers of skin of a topic. "Under the skirt" as TFLYTSNBN respectfully acknowledges and cares to call it. Again, thank you FLY.

TFLYTSNBN, a rare set of balls on the forum that I respect, even though he doesn't always agree with me.

I've suggested ideas for threads to other posters, because I had too many fires burning myself. Threads I knew would be successful and exciting. They went on to become very successful threads as I knew they would. I've seen posters spin successful threads from so many varied discussions in mine. I've seen my threads spawn many other threads. In the Politics forum one poster said of one of her threads, "Fair's fair." Gooo Annachie!

If I see a skirt on a subject in another thread that merits lifting, I do. I've resuscitated lost and limping threads stalled at less than 20 posts that went on to over 200. I like book discussions, and don't give aratsass whose thread it is. So, with as much activity I generate on the forum, please cut me some slack when my time insists I oftentimes consult "Wikipedia" for quick refreshers, which statistically means I'm going to pull garbage out of the Wiki. Heck, my threads are oftentimes competing with each other!

Even though you have a hard time admitting it, you are welcome for the entertainment. Your mouth says otherwise, but the post count and views tell the true story. Besides, there is a lot less demand on ones time being a pain in the ass in someone else's thread than creating and driving a successful one of your own. And no, I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me. What's the fun in that? But a little respect goes a long way. And it won't solicit curt responses having to cut knees off because of a lack of couth imposed on my already very limited time.

Since we are being fair and threadbare, you see.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
Daryl wrote:At this point in this fictional novel, the villain has noticed that the heroine is female (therefore by his culture weaker and softer), wounded, and exhausted. He also knows that he has practiced for years at this martial art, and attained a high rank, while she has only had a few months in a busy schedule to "play" with the sword. I'd be putting money on the villain. Mind you I imagine that if he had won this, his life would have been short anyway, as he would be known as a killer of children, plus someone who took advantage of a potentially breeding female and killed her while she was injured and exhausted. Not a fair test.

Burdette would have out-lived Honor only by the time required for Nimitz to launch a disemboweling attack on him. Even if every Armsman in the Chamber fired at him, Nimitz would succeed in killing Burdette before dying himself.

Your thought equals that of several in my social circles, but doesn't that sound like the rigged duels of the Old West where there was a desperado on the roof waiting to shoot the victor?

Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:snip

I honestly believe that there is only one person who believes that in this fictional story, the fictional heroine acted unfairly by not saying "Hey, remember I'm a genie with slightly quicker reflexes and slightly more strength than my weight suggests, plus that I'm not sure but lately I seem to have a sixth sense about what others are feeling? So why not be a good lad and just wait for the hangman?"

snip

Not quite. First, the reflexes and strength were never on the table as a secret. The ability to essentially read minds, as far as the crease is concerned, is what makes it unfair, and unrighteous on Grayson. AND, in this storyline, the ability is NOT sporadic as attested to by Honor herself in the THING.

Also incorrect that I'm the only one who agrees. A couple of my friends mentioned that the 'Cats are recognized as sentient beings and have pretty much become citizens. Other citizens are not allowed to take part in duels. Not even a little nudge. Nimitz' ability passed to Honor is a bit more than a little nudge, don't you think? . . .

NOW HONOR NOW!

Well, whether you do or not, it is.

Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor's integrity always stood her in good stead. Integrity that served her well throughout the series and the galaxy. Honor's integrity caused her to treat the Peep POWs with respect and it was reciprocated. Honor's integrity caused the Andermani to trust her. Honor's integrity is what caused her to reveal the hidden weapon in her finger to the Andermani. Honor's integrity is responsible for Eloise's trust in her. Honor's integrity is what pissed the entire Peep navy off regarding Ransom's treatment of her.

Honor's integrity in the galaxy has always preceded and served her well. She accidentally placed her integrity on a bull's-eye with her strategic mistake of not sequestering Nimitz during the execution of Burdette on Grayson.

A good campaign can do wonders in making many people believe anything. Look how successful the Malign were with the Solarians. Especially when there are those who already despise the subject, or straddle the line. It's a silver bullet laced with Kryptonite.

Honor's integrity is much too valuable a commodity to risk.

Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

You mean like when I was the only one who thought there were those who would believe that Theisman MURDERED Saint-Just, including Elizabeth??? Hmmm?

AND when I argued for pages that Beowulf's actions would be viewed as treasonous?

Faith in my powers of persuasion? Try faith in my common sense.

tlb wrote:snip

Which makes me wonder why you have so much faith in your powers of persuasion; I have not seen anyone in this forum change sides to take your part.

daryl wrote:I honestly believe that there is only one person who believes that in this fictional story, the fictional heroine acted unfairly by not saying "Hey, remember I'm a genie with slightly quicker reflexes and slightly more strength than my weight suggests, plus that I'm not sure but lately I seem to have a sixth sense about what others are feeling? So why not be a good lad and just wait for the hangman?"

The problem with everyone copying off the same person in class is that everyone is going to get a failing grade if that person is an idiot! I march to the beat of my own drum.

Last edited by cthia on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by tlb   » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:You mean like when I was the only one who thought there were those who would believe that Theisman was MURDERED, including Elizabeth??? Hmmm?

AND when I argued for pages that Beowulf's actions would be viewed as treasonous?

Faith in my powers of persuasion? Try faith in my common sense.

tlb wrote:snip

Which makes me wonder why you have so much faith in your powers of persuasion; I have not seen anyone in this forum change sides to take your part.

daryl wrote:I honestly believe that there is only one person who believes that in this fictional story, the fictional heroine acted unfairly by not saying "Hey, remember I'm a genie with slightly quicker reflexes and slightly more strength than my weight suggests, plus that I'm not sure but lately I seem to have a sixth sense about what others are feeling? So why not be a good lad and just wait for the hangman?"

The problem with everyone copying off the same person in class is that everyone is going to get a failing grade if that person is an idiot! I march to the beat of my own drum.

If you insist on quoting me, then you temporarily draw me back in.

First the simple mistake: you meant to say that Theisman was a murderer, not murdered. Actually you went so far as to say that the new government should try him for treason.

Second the more complex mistake: it is not that you were arguing Beowulf's actions would be regarded as treasonous that was the source of the disagreement; most people would agree with that statement (I know I did, as you can see in the thread). The disagreements were over your two additional points:
1. Beowulf was guilty of actual treason by breaking unwritten, implied obligations to the League that they had accrued by being a founding member.
2. Because of that actual treason, Beowulf had accumulated (bad) karma that was going to cause the League to wreck vengeance on the planet.

PS.I do believe that you read the books and see no problem with checking the Wiki.

Return to Honorverse