Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Mortal Engines

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Mortal Engines
Post by isaac_newton   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:51 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Just been looking at the trailers for the film.

Looks quite exciting.

Is anyone going to see this?
Re: Mortal Engines
Post by Michael Everett   » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:49 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

The books that the film is adapted from is the Young Adult/Teen Mortal Engines series by Phillip Reeves, the first book being the series namer. I have read one and while the concept of mobile/predatory cities is quite unusual, it didn't really appeal to me, although I do admit that I am probably not in the primary target demographic.
While I'll probably pick up a copy once it's released for home viewing, I don't plan to see it in the cinema.
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by Annachie   » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:34 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

The book is on my list of things to get too.

The movie? I'd rather read the book first.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Senior Chief   » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:47 pm

Senior Chief
Commander

isaac_newton wrote:Just been looking at the trailers for the film.

Looks quite exciting.

Is anyone going to see this?

Nope, not interested... There is table-top miniature wargame called Distopian Wars... looks like a rip-off of the game... Another un-original idea stolen by movie makers...
Post by ywing14   » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:52 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I tried to read it and didn't finish.
Post by Daryl   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

I just can't stretch my credibility that far. Honorverse physics is OK, who knows what physics will have found in a couple of thousands of years time. Look at what was known 2 thousand years ago.
However to assume that many millions of tons of city could be mobile across the dry earth's surface just doesn't compute. Plus we could destroy one such with one missile using today's tech.
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Daryl wrote:However to assume that many millions of tons of city could be mobile across the dry earth's surface just doesn't compute.

Technically, it is possible. Albeit it would not be rigid, tank-like structure. More like gestalt of numerous individual moving modules, each containing some industrial object & part of population. In short, more like a network of individual machines, interconnected by flexible cables, tubes and catwalks. Such "moving city" may be possible.

P.S. Another possibility, actually, is a flying one... build inside of mile-sized concrete tensegrity sphere. The old "Cloud Nine" design, envisioned by Fuller; the volume-to-weight ratio of the sphere is so great, that even a relatively small heating of air inside (say, one degree, provided by nuclear reactor) would allow it to float in air. And, since its tensegrity structure, it become stronger with size increased, thus allowing a simple concrete to be used.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

London is chock-full of unreinforced stone or brick buildings. Half the city would collapse before taking ten steps. Even the modern buildings would fall apart eventually in such a constant low-level earthquake.

Where could walking cities get the millions of tons of water they need every day? How much of the Thames River is included in 'Walking London'? How about the other rivers that have been covered up over the years?

Where would London walk to? Could it cross the Channel? The ocean? Any significant mountain range? Could it even get over a 200-meter hill? Could it go through trees? Would it get stuck in a swamp? One hell of a tow-truck you'd need there…

Dilandu wrote:P.S. Another possibility, actually, is a flying one... build inside of mile-sized concrete tensegrity sphere.

The volume of a one-mile sphere is about 2.19 billion cubic meters, the center is at 800 meters altitude, so it would displace just about 2.2 million tons of air. Raising the internal temperature by 1º C would reduce the weight of air inside the sphere by about 8,800 tons. That's just enough to lift a 1-mile-diameter concrete shell 1.7 mm thick.

The whole walking city idea is soooo stupid on soooo many levels…it put my bullshit meter in the shop with a bent pointer. I think it would be like watching After Earth — two perfectly good hours that you'll never get back.
———————————
Bring out yer dead!
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:London is chock-full of unreinforced stone or brick buildings. Half the city would collapse before taking ten steps. Even the modern buildings would fall apart eventually in such a constant low-level earthquake.

Well, considering that in "Mortal Engines" world, the London than we knew was gone about 15000 years ago, obliterated during Sixty-Minute war - basically, the moving one is a completely new construction) Obviously designed to withstand vibration.
Could it cross the Channel?

Since in the "Mortal Engines" world there is no Channel anymore - as well as North Sea, Central America and a good chunk of East Asia - the question is actually moot.

Could it go through trees?

Er, are you serious? Even sequoia forest would hardly be even noticed by something with literally million tons of mass & inertia.
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:33 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Well, all I know about the movie is what I saw in a noisy preview full of giant bashing things and flashy jump-cuts. If that was supposed to make me want to watch, it failed dismally.

Like when I saw the preview for 'Real Steel'. At the end, I said, "Wow. Rock-em Sock-em Robots, The Movie."

And I was right, too.
———————————
They say I can't be a nonconformist because I'm not like the other nonconformists.

Return to Free-Range Topics...