Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Into the Light

Aliens? Invading aliens? What will Earth do? Well...we may have a few more resources than we first thought. Come join a friendly discussion about David Weber's newest Tor series - "Out of the Dark."
Into the Light
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Chris Kennedy and I have broken ground on the sequel to OOTD.

Some people will greet this news with groans; some with cheers.

I will say only that one of the things that some people get most bent out of shape about never actually happened; you just think it did. (Okay, admittedly, I did my very best to encourage you to think that, but still . . . . :twisted:) And there is one heck of a lot more going on under the surface. Not just in our home star system, either.

Beyond that, you've gotta wait for the book. We don't begin to have a release date, since we're only just getting started and Tor isn't about to start scheduling anything until they have a better idea of what our delivery date might be, but I would be very surprised if we haven't finished it well before year's end.

And since it's been so long since the first book, I will probably start snippeting this one much earlier.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Re: Into the Light
Post by Kufat   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Kufat
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I find myself in the odd position of having liked the first book but being of the opinion that it doesn't need a sequel. When I finished it, I thought it was an unusual idea (take a typical alien invasion story and throw something wholly unexpected into the mix and see where it goes) very well-executed, and that actually following up on the ending might spoil its charm.

I'm looking forward to being proven wrong, though. :) (Yes, and to snippets!)
Post by Garth 2   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:30 am

Garth 2
Captain of the List

:o

Going to be so hard to wait for this....
Post by WeberFan   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:29 pm

WeberFan
Captain (Junior Grade)

I'll be looking forward to reading it when it's released. I liked the original because it was so different than your other work. With Vlad and company off to visit Earth's invaders in their homes, i can see a lot of directions in which you could steer the plot.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:27 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

I so want to see the Hegemony Council get its butt kicked, even to the extent of the Shongairi being suborned by Vlad & Co to help do it.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Isilith   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:23 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:Chris Kennedy and I have broken ground on the sequel to OOTD.

Some people will greet this news with groans; some with cheers.

I will say only that one of the things that some people get most bent out of shape about never actually happened; you just think it did. (Okay, admittedly, I did my very best to encourage you to think that, but still . . . . :twisted:) And there is one heck of a lot more going on under the surface. Not just in our home star system, either.

Beyond that, you've gotta wait for the book. We don't begin to have a release date, since we're only just getting started and Tor isn't about to start scheduling anything until they have a better idea of what our delivery date might be, but I would be very surprised if we haven't finished it well before year's end.

And since it's been so long since the first book, I will probably start snippeting this one much earlier.

Twists are ok, I just hope you aren't giving it the "Highlander 2" kind of twist. Where you totally destroy the premise of the first. I loved Out of the Dark how it was.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:24 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Looking more forward to this than The Gordian Protocols. Now I have to re-read the story in preparation for Into the Light.
Post by FriarBob   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:07 pm

FriarBob
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Looking more forward to this than The Gordian Protocols. Now I have to re-read the story in preparation for Into the Light.

Well I guess we can't agree on everything. Gordian looks wacko, that I will agree with you on. But it looks like *interesting* wacko to me.

Mind, the OOTD really was NOT his worst work. If I hadn't picked up Dahak after very nearly *burning* Starfire I might never have read his better works like Honor or Safehold or even Bahzell or Prince Roger. And that would have been my loss, for those are all at least decent and mostly quite good.

Then again, I've tried rather hard to *forget* that Starfire even existed. (I also tend to forget about the multiverse.) So it's easy for me to forget that OOTD was actually not his worst work.

I'll likely eventually read this anyway. Probably...
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:13 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

FriarBob wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Looking more forward to this than The Gordian Protocols. Now I have to re-read the story in preparation for Into the Light.

Well I guess we can't agree on everything. Gordian looks wacko, that I will agree with you on. But it looks like *interesting* wacko to me.

Mind, the OOTD really was NOT his worst work. If I hadn't picked up Dahak after very nearly *burning* Starfire I might never have read his better works like Honor or Safehold or even Bahzell or Prince Roger. And that would have been my loss, for those are all at least decent and mostly quite good.

Then again, I've tried rather hard to *forget* that Starfire even existed. (I also tend to forget about the multiverse.) So it's easy for me to forget that OOTD was actually not his worst work.

I'll likely eventually read this anyway. Probably...

It took me a while to get into the Multiverse. I liked Road to Hell best. The first two were a bit too predictable for me. Looking forward to next in that series.

OOTD was interesting but too .....condensed. It was a short story that really needed more work to expand into a novel. I like the premise and wonder if we will get more detailed description on the hows of vampirism. Is this something materially driven or has some metaphysical elements in the explanation? Very interesting.

I don't mind interesting wacko and I do think there will be interesting wacko elements in The Godrian Protocols. What turns me off is the convoluted nature of cause and effect associated time travel as an essential element in the ongoing plot of a novel. The shifts that plot twists create for a reader may leave them a bit detached to truly enjoy the story. I find it so anyway.

I'll read it, but am cautious.
Post by Thunder Child Actual   » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:57 am

Thunder Child Actual
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

runsforcelery wrote:I will say only that one of the things that some people get most bent out of shape about never actually happened; you just think it did. (Okay, admittedly, I did my very best to encourage you to think that, but still . . . . :twisted:) And there is one heck of a lot more going on under the surface. Not just in our home star system, either.

What is the thing that people think happened that did not in reference to?

Return to Out of the Dark