Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

snippet #1 for 'The Gordian Protocol'

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
snippet #1 for 'The Gordian Protocol'
Post by isaac_newton   » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:22 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

I just stummbled upon an additional section in the forums dedicated to RFC's new book [series?] the Gordian Protocol

I guessed that since my eyes slipped over it several times, while going between Honoverse, Safehold and War God, maybe you might also have missed it, and so would like a heads up too - especially as there is a snippet involved :-)
Last edited by isaac_newton on Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Snippet #1 for 'The Gordian Protocol'
Post by Smithcentral   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:53 am

Smithcentral
Midshipman

Thanks
Post by PeterZ   » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:28 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

There is something about alternative reality, timeline parallels and temporal paradoxes as a primary feature of a story that are difficult for me to really get into. The Multiverse is an exception. I hope that this duo's treatment of the Gordian Protocol will also capture my interest.

The Apocalypse Troll only used the plot device to create the setting. The Multiverse works because each aspect of the multiverse exists separately from the ongoing actions of the characters. This sounds like a theologian visiting aspects of God's eternal qualities; standing beyond time yet still interacting within time. The entire concept requires playing around with cause and effect enough to threaten a story's continuity from the reader's perspective.

I'll give it a shot, but admit to reservations.
Post by runsforcelery   » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:30 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

PeterZ wrote:There is something about alternative reality, timeline parallels and temporal paradoxes as a primary feature of a story that are difficult for me to really get into. The Multiverse is an exception. I hope that this duo's treatment of the Gordian Protocol will also capture my interest.

The Apocalypse Troll only used the plot device to create the setting. The Multiverse works because each aspect of the multiverse exists separately from the ongoing actions of the characters. This sounds like a theologian visiting aspects of God's eternal qualities; standing beyond time yet still interacting within time. The entire concept requires playing around with cause and effect enough to threaten a story's continuity from the reader's perspective.

Tryyyyyyy it! You'll liiiiiike it! :lol:

On a more serious note, I think we may have given Benjamin Schroeder the cruelest moral quandary I have ever loaded onto a character's back, and I include both Sean MacIntyre and Alicia DeVries in that.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
PeterZ wrote:There is something about alternative reality, timeline parallels and temporal paradoxes as a primary feature of a story that are difficult for me to really get into. The Multiverse is an exception. I hope that this duo's treatment of the Gordian Protocol will also capture my interest.

Tryyyyyyy it! You'll liiiiiike it! :lol:

On a more serious note, I think we may have given Benjamin Schroeder the cruelest moral quandary I have ever loaded onto a character's back, and I include both Sean MacIntyre and Alicia DeVries in that.

I plan to. You haven't disappointed me yet.
Post by cnrd22   » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am

cnrd22
Lieutenant Commander

I kind of agree with the above as alternative realities and parallel timelines (or time travel between past/present/future for that matter) can easily devolve into solipsism (or a very strong predestination built into the laws of reality(es) which I highly dislike), but when done well they can bring a true sense of wonder as they allow **very different** cultures to interact (see Multiverse as above), so I am really excited about this book and hope an e-arc will be available soon as it is a buy and read the moment I can get a copy since I trust DW to have done a great job as usual

Return to Safehold