Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

The spread of Arabic numerals...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by jackburtonjr   » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:51 pm

jackburtonjr
Midshipman

So...has the new calculating style spread along with the more mechanical engineering processes? Seems like a necessity but no mention of it at all after Merlin's initial introduction.
Re: The spread of Arabic numerals...
Post by Weird Harold   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:02 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

jackburtonjr wrote:So...has the new calculating style spread along with the more mechanical engineering processes? Seems like a necessity but no mention of it at all after Merlin's initial introduction.

There are a couple of off-hand mentions scattered throughout the books; just enough to show the idea has spread.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by evilauthor   » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:34 pm

evilauthor
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
jackburtonjr wrote:So...has the new calculating style spread along with the more mechanical engineering processes? Seems like a necessity but no mention of it at all after Merlin's initial introduction.

There are a couple of off-hand mentions scattered throughout the books; just enough to show the idea has spread.

Yep. By the end of the Jyhad, the Church accounting offices (run by Duchairn) were certainly using them to help manage the Army of God's logistics.

So if the CHURCH is using them, you can pretty much bet everyone else is using them too.
Post by Julia Minor   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:44 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

I forget which novel it's in, but at one point a CoGA/Inquisition agent needs to decipher a message that was sent in a "book code" and thinks to himself that Charis' new number system makes that code much easier to use.
Post by elaineofshalott   » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:53 pm

elaineofshalott
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Julia Minor wrote:I forget which novel it's in, but at one point a CoGA/Inquisition agent needs to decipher a message that was sent in a "book code" and thinks to himself that Charis' new number system makes that code much easier to use.
Probably in the third. It was the former bishop who planned the attack on Sharleyan in book 3.

Return to Safehold