Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

Retirement Age in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:06 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:There will always be openings in the Verge for teachers and professors willing to pass on their knowledge and naval experience to help alleviate many of the shortcomings of undereducated systems to help bring their programs into accreditation. Make no mistake, there are many inherent problems, people.

Manticore had been prolific in sending loaners to other alliance nations pre-war. Post war, Many officers and professional non-coms could be rotated out to loaner programs for new verge navies.

Also, Manticore tried to rotate it's force between shipborn, staff, and administration positions, so everyone got experience across the board. going forward, could officers and professionals look forward to rotations of fleet, staff, admin, training, and loaner? having a set system of tickets to be punched for each rank would help retain talent, while spreading out the talent pool.

Brilliant!

Seems that could certainly solve a lot of problems and spread the good will of naval experience around. The Verge could become a real Tour of Duty. As long as Saganami Island doesn't become diluted with unqualified applicants. Especially when it doesn't have to be.

But do note that those previous loaners were to existing navies. Most of the Verge wouldn't have existing navies, iinm.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Brilliant!

Seems that could certainly solve a lot of problems and spread the good will of naval experience around. The Verge could become a real Tour of Duty. As long as Saganami Island doesn't become diluted with unqualified applicants. Especially when it doesn't have to be.

But do note that those previous loaners were to existing navies. Most of the Verge wouldn't have existing navies, iinm.

There's a similar mission to Torch, where GA advisers are helping them build a navy from basically the ground up. That sort of thing is going to be a growth industry for the next couple decades.

I also have no idea what "iinm" means.
Post by Theemile   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:26 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:

I also have no idea what "iinm" means.

iinm = "If I'm Not Mistaken"
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 am

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:

There's a similar mission to Torch, where GA advisers are helping them build a navy from basically the ground up. That sort of thing is going to be a growth industry for the next couple decades.

There should not be a problem with Saganami. There will be a lot of changes there. Chances are, Haven and Beowulf will send some students there. Lots of chances for exchanges. Why not also have some people from planet in the Verge or Shell?

The US has allowed foreign students to attend our military academies. Having people from other planets there will make the members of the GA more cosmopolitan and make great connections for the future.
Post by tlb   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:12 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Galactic Sapper wrote:There's a similar mission to Torch, where GA advisers are helping them build a navy from basically the ground up. That sort of thing is going to be a growth industry for the next couple decades.

ldwechsler wrote:There should not be a problem with Saganami. There will be a lot of changes there. Chances are, Haven and Beowulf will send some students there. Lots of chances for exchanges. Why not also have some people from planet in the Verge or Shell?

The US has allowed foreign students to attend our military academies. Having people from other planets there will make the members of the GA more cosmopolitan and make great connections for the future.

The Verge could definitely become a tour of duty, especially where they do not have navies; because then they need anti-piracy patrols.
Post by Jonathan_S   » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Let's not discount a lateral movement within the Navy. Honor could teach for a very conceivable 70+ yrs. It's been done here on Earth.

And on the civilian side don't rule out people plateauing and making similar lateral moves. The chief technical guy who forms a start-up to design things the right way - the way he can't convince his current bosses to do.

Sure some people may just totally switch careers and start over at basically entry level. But most would likely jump into related fields, or go form start-ups working on a new approaches in their original field. (Or heck, "retire" for a decade or so and enjoy travel, family, hobbies, etc before getting back up to speed and reentering their original field)
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Let's not discount a lateral movement within the Navy. Honor could teach for a very conceivable 70+ yrs. It's been done here on Earth.

And on the civilian side don't rule out people plateauing and making similar lateral moves. The chief technical guy who forms a start-up to design things the right way - the way he can't convince his current bosses to do.

Sure some people may just totally switch careers and start over at basically entry level. But most would likely jump into related fields, or go form start-ups working on a new approaches in their original field. (Or heck, "retire" for a decade or so and enjoy travel, family, hobbies, etc before getting back up to speed and reentering their original field)

So true. On a related note, many people - civilian and Navy - have benefit of a lot of accumulated knowledge over the many decades of life. I can't see many of the native intellects of the Star Kingdom, who apply themselves, not being in a position to go into business for themselves.

Foraker, Hemphill, and Tremaine to name a few.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:45 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

So true. On a related note, many people - civilian and Navy - have benefit of a lot of accumulated knowledge over the many decades of life. I can't see many of the native intellects of the Star Kingdom, who apply themselves, not being in a position to go into business for themselves.

Foraker, Hemphill, and Tremaine to name a few.[/quote]

There are always a few real lifers. But note that Foraker is still young. She is younger presumably than Honor. When they first met, Honor was in command and she was a tac officer.

So we know White Haven and Hemphill are older and there are some others. But I would guess most of the combat people are younger.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:41 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Tremaine may actually be quite wealthy.

remember that while very junior officer and likely to have had a very small cut he was responsible for finding several million manticore dollars of contraband all the way back in bassilisk. 20 years in which to grow that nest egg.

now he will not be close to honor's level of money but for such a still fairly young man in a prolong society. I think it safe to say he is not living paycheck to paycheck and could definitely be classed as modestly wealthy.
Post by Weird Harold   » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:Tremaine may actually be quite wealthy.

If Scotty is, so is Sir Horace.

IIRC, Honor set up an investment assistance program to help all of the Basilisk crew (and continued the practice for all subsequent subordinates) so any of Honor's protoges are likely well off compared to others in the same rank.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)

Return to Honorverse