Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: George J. Smith and 42 guests

Honorverse ramblings and musings

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse ramblings and musings
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I truly acknowledge your points Vince, but I must call to your attention that all of the textev you supplied can be used either for or against Honor. In this case of man against God, textev is a double-edged sword regarding which part of the sword one chooses to sharpen or highlight.

E.g. . . .

Vince's highlighted text. . .
"My Lords," he cried, "I do not dispute the facts this harlot claims, nor do I regret any of my acts! I say only that I neither desired nor ordered Reverend Hanks' death, and that no man can prove against me, for I never even knew he would be present. But yes—yes, My Lords!—I did each and every other thing this foreign-born whore claims, and I would do them again—do them a thousand times again!—before I let an infidel fornicator and this traitor who calls himself Protector pollute and poison a world sacred to God!"

Cthia's highlighted text . . .
"My Lords," he cried, "I do not dispute the facts this harlot claims, nor do I regret any of my acts! I say only that I neither desired nor ordered Reverend Hanks' death, and that no man can prove against me, for I never even knew he would be present. But yes—yes, My Lords!—I did each and every other thing this foreign-born whore claims, and I would do them again—do them a thousand times again!—before I let an infidel fornicator and this traitor who calls himself Protector pollute and poison a world sacred to God!"

This is a man of convictions! Seeking to pass the Doctrine of his Test against the spineless jellyfish who refuse to act.

Vince wrote:Burdette wasn't, by his own admission, righteous. God answered his prayer, preserving the righteous and striking down the unrighteous. The idea of God forgiving sin is directly dependent on the sinner acknowledging their sins, and repenting those sins. Burdette was defiant, not repentant, and would commit his sins again.

There is the stumbling block. Burdette never claimed to be unrighteous. He claimed to be guilty of man's charges - in the pursuit of what he thinks is right in the eyes of Tester for the preservation of Grayson. Burdette's fear was not of man but of God. Where it should be.

Burdette did not acknowledge a sin, if that which is thought to be a sin by man is what Tester required.

Do understand this: If man's law goes against God where should the Christian stand?

If it wasn't for Christians and their convictions, black people may still be slaves. Jews may still be murdered. Slaves were legal under man's law. Exterminating Jews was legal under man's law. If in either case a man of God disagrees and decides to face the Doctrine of his Test, then it is for the Glory of God that he acts. Man can take away his life, but not his everlasting life. He will not be killed permanently.

Burdette, Mueller and many others truly felt the Protector and his Restoration was unrighteous in Tester's eyes and that Grayson was fornicating with a sinful whore.

Vince wrote:I think Burdette forfeited any right to know when he acknowledged his guilt to the entire planet:

Burdette acknowledged being guilty of the charges of man. He did not admit guilt of breaking any of Tester's laws.

Another stickler: Burdette did not forfeit his right to challenge.

"I reject your right to condemn me to death in order to silence God's voice of opposition to your corrupt abuse of power! As is my ancient right before God, the law, and this Conclave, I challenge your decree! . . .
  1. Let your Champion stand forth and prove the true will of God sword-to-sword, in the ancient way of our fathers,
  2. and may God preserve the righteous!"

Neither of the two happened. One and two were rigged in such a way that both nullified God's vote. The entire matter was decided by tainting the preponderance of evidence. God did not preserve the righteous. The unrighteous was preserved by deceit. There are times satan and his harlot wins. As would be argued by Burdette's family.

Grayson's dueling system is no different than the Manticorans in as much as, there are rules involved. Breaking these rules forfeits your life and that is why Pavel Young was shot. Just as someone would be shot by smuggling a secret weapon that would not simply rig the odds, but in this case . . . blow them out of the water.

Honor's ability is a specific weapon that can flawlessly detect "the crease" that which is thought to be a matter of life and death and victory in this duel.

So tell me again how God's intent to preserve the righteous was carried out. Except by the unrighteous justifications of ungodly men.

Remember, Grayson is a religious planet. That isn't just a poignant point regarding Grayson. But crucial. That is part and parcel why Benjamin decided never to deceive his constituents.

Benjamin decided long ago that deceit is a slippery slope.

Subterfuge and deceit are not hallmarks of God's judgment.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In modern parlance I think we can substitute . . .

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:00 pm

TFLYTSNBN

cthia wrote:I truly acknowledge your points Vince, but I must call to your attention that all of the textev you supplied can be used either for or against Honor. In this case of man against God, textev is a double-edged sword regarding which part of the sword one chooses to sharpen or highlight.

E.g. . . .

This is a man of convictions! Seeking to pass the Doctrine of his Test against the spineless jellyfish who refuse to act.

Vince wrote:Burdette wasn't, by his own admission, righteous. God answered his prayer, preserving the righteous and striking down the unrighteous. The idea of God forgiving sin is directly dependent on the sinner acknowledging their sins, and repenting those sins. Burdette was defiant, not repentant, and would commit his sins again.

There is the stumbling block. Burdette never claimed to be unrighteous. He claimed to be guilty of man's charges - in the pursuit of what he thinks is right in the eyes of Tester for the preservation of Grayson. Burdette's fear was not of man but of God. Where it should be.

Burdette did not acknowledge a sin, if that which is thought to be a sin by man is what Tester required.

Do understand this: If man's law goes against God where should the Christian stand?

If it wasn't for Christians and their convictions, black people may still be slaves. Jews may still be murdered. Slaves were legal under man's law. Exterminating Jews was legal under man's law. If in either case a man of God disagrees and decides to face the Doctrine of his Test, then it is for the Glory of God that he acts. Man can take away his life, but not his everlasting life. He will not be killed permanently.

Burdette, Mueller and many others truly felt the Protector and his Restoration was unrighteous in Tester's eyes and that Grayson was fornicating with a sinful whore.

Vince wrote:I think Burdette forfeited any right to know when he acknowledged his guilt to the entire planet:

Burdette acknowledged being guilty of the charges of man. He did not admit guilt of breaking any of Tester's laws.

"I reject your right to condemn me to death in order to silence God's voice of opposition to your corrupt abuse of power! As is my ancient right before God, the law, and this Conclave, I challenge your decree! . . .
  1. Let your Champion stand forth and prove the true will of God sword-to-sword, in the ancient way of our fathers,

Neither of the two happened. One and two were rigged in such a way that both nullified God's vote. The entire matter was decided by tainting the preponderance of evidence. God did not preserve the righteous. The unrighteous was preserved by deceit. There are times satan and his harlot wins. As would be argued by Burdette's family.

Grayson's dueling system is no different than the Manticorans in as much as, there are rules involved. Breaking these rules forfeits your life and that is why Pavel Young was shot. Just as someone would be shot by smuggling a secret weapon that would not simply rig the odds, but in this case . . . blow them out of the water.

Honor's ability is a specific weapon that can flawlessly detect "the crease" that which is thought to be a matter of life and death and victory in this duel.

So tell me again how God's intent to preserve the righteous was carried out. Except by the unrighteous justifications of ungodly men.

Remember, Grayson is a religious planet. That isn't just a poignant point regarding Grayson. But crucial. That is part and parcel why Benjamin decided never to deceive his constituents.

Honor's gift is God given, even if ensbled by a cute, cuddly, Sphynxian Treecat. It is righteous for her to use her gift.
Post by cthia   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:25 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Honor's gift is God given, even if ensbled by a cute, cuddly, Sphynxian Treecat. It is righteous for her to use her gift.

Brilliant! I like that! And it can be rightly argued!

Except, is it exactly righteous to withhold knowledge of the weapon under the circumstances? Knowing full-well Burdette didn't have a chance, and knowing because of it, Burdette himself didn't know he had NO CHANCE. I agree that it is righteous for the People's champion to use her talents. It is part of the riches God has bestowed upon her. So proclaim it to the world the truth of all who represent God - lest God be accused of deceit - and then let [him] be foolish, or wise, into challenging.

At the very least, with foreknowledge of Honor's inhuman-like abilities Burdette may have chosen the low guard position, instead of the high guard . . . opening himself up to be sliced from asshole to appetite.

On present day Earth, one may have a right to know if one is going up against what is essentially a mutant.

Clark Kent's parents, to Clark's chagrin, told him he didn't have any business on the gridiron.

Post by Vince   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:42 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

See Exhibit A in this post.
cthia wrote:I truly acknowledge your points Vince, but I must call to your attention that all of the textev you supplied can be used either for or against Honor. In this case of man against God, textev is a double-edged sword regarding which part of the sword one chooses to sharpen or highlight.

E.g. . . .

-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Why Vince, I do believe what you're telling me is that your defense rests. Excellent! I acquiesce. Kudos. Thanks for getting me out of the hot seat with my niece for opening this particular can of—remaining true to mine self—worms. Hopefully I'm out of the hot seat with her.

Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

My miffed Niece's Rebuttal

I'll have you know that Nimitz has had plenty of practice holding his breath. You of all people should know that!

<Honor! How am I supposed to refrain from slitting Pavel Young's throat!>

"How?"

<HOW! Honor!>

"Take a deep breath. Go on!"

<I . . . N . . . H . . . A . . . L . . . E>

"Now hold it! . . . Hold it! . . . Hold it! . . ."

Nimitz had PLENTY of practice!

Post by saber964   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:10 pm

saber964
Admiral

You really don't want to challenge Honor to a duel when she's pissed off at you. Because she's going to make you hurt before the death blow.

Summerville gut shot four times before blowing his brains out the back of his head.

Burdette reverse 7 sword cut. Massive pain before his head departed his body. He had a second or two of agony before the end.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:27 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:You really don't want to challenge Honor to a duel when she's pissed off at you. Because she's going to make you hurt before the death blow.

Summerville gut shot four times before blowing his brains out the back of his head.

Burdette reverse 7 sword cut. Massive pain before his head departed his body. He had a second or two of agony before the end.

Remember never to bet against the main character in a novel that is part of a series.
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:You really don't want to challenge Honor to a duel when she's pissed off at you. Because she's going to make you hurt before the death blow.

Definitely agree. Is there really a good time to challenge Honor? Now that I think about it, Honor's genie status isn't exactly common knowledge either, so none of her challengers really knew who, or what, they were going up against. Poor intel on their part if "know your enemy" is something they aspired to. You can bet Honor researched her foe in great detail in each case.

Return to Honorverse