Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

Snippet begging thread...

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Snippet begging thread...
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

the baen website doesn't list any signings past the 6th.

so look like it is only a short 1 week tour.
Post by Michael Everett   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:25 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

Going through the Snippets so far and trying to make deductions, I can say with a very high degree of confidence that the next snippet will include the word "The".
Probably multiple times.
:lol:
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by isaac_newton   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:56 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:Going through the Snippets so far and trying to make deductions, I can say with a very high degree of confidence that the next snippet will include the word "The".
Probably multiple times.
:lol:

Oh dear... is this showing to what depths we fall without snippets... sigh

:-)
Post by OrlandoNative   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 pm

OrlandoNative
Captain (Junior Grade)

dobriennm wrote:
Facebook post (which is short in this case) requires smartphone access and very little power requirements. Also, not much time to do. Plus, it's an immediate concern related to his job (upcoming book tour).

Snippets require computer and internet access, which is more power requirements. Also more time to do. And it's not an immediate concern except to his fans.

Depending on how shaky the the local power grid is at the moment, conservation of battery power (UPS or otherwise) is a consideration. Plus, telling your spouse you're going to put up some book snippets to please your fans so the spouse needs to deal with the kids/power/general chaos for awhile is NOT a prescription for a happy spouse.

I would think that keeping his reader base at least minimally happy would be just as important to an author as book signings. To be honest; I've never gone to one. I *may* have been in the same book store when a signing was going on; but other than cursing the crowds blocking my way to the shelf of books I was interested in was the only "tip of my hat" to any signing.

As for posting snippets; a smart phone that can access Facebook or Twitter should also be able to access this forum (there's a Firefox app and Samsung Internet app for android; and similar ones for IOS and Windows); so I don't really see a challenge there. And I keep quite a few ebooks on my phone (never know when you're going to be stuck in some airport; car repair shop; or just on the road behind a huge accident); so there's no reason a manuscript version of the next Safehold book couldn't be on RFC's.

Unless, of course, he doesn't *HAVE* a smartphone. Or a tablet. Or a laptop with wireless.... ...or else we're not all that important to him.

Of course, in these days the chance of that is rather slim.

Cutting and pasting even several pages of text isn't all that time consuming; after all. I do it every day. For that matter, composing an email or a post like this one - takes far more actual time.

And it's hard to believe that; even with the hurricane there's not some open wireless *somewhere* in North Carolina. :lol: :roll: People can weather a hurricane with some minor complaints; but their neighborhood Starbucks not being available is, after all, life threatening... :lol:

I like your point: "it's not an immediate concern except to his fans". That's certainly accurate; but it's an author's "fans" who tend to repeatedly buy his books. :lol:

Prior to September; he was "snippeting" on almost a weekly basis. It's been over 4 weeks since the last one. Hopefully, he *is* well; but it is a bit disquieting. Also, given how his Safehold books have been getting longer and longer (word-wise); it's not like he couldn't put out snippets until publishing date without going past a third or so of the book.
"Yield to temptation, it may not pass your way again."
Post by jlrice54   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:35 am

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

He was in Dallas tonight at the Uncompromising Honor book signing tonight. He took a fall at the recent con and broke his nose along with a minor skull fracture. He said he is returning home tomorrow.
Post by BarryKirk   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:02 am

BarryKirk
Captain of the List

OMG. That’s horrible. Where is the quick heal when you need?

I am praying for a quick and speedy recovery.
Post by Thendisnia   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:16 am

Thendisnia
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Jeez Louise! How the Ruddy'ell did that happen? If he is having inner ear issues/balance stuff at his age (like happened to my dad and uncle) somebody close to him get him some dried ginger to chew on - makes a world o' difference!

BE CAREFUL WIZARD!!! We only keep getting stories if you take care of yourself.
Post by Magistos   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:16 pm

Magistos
Ensign

YIKES!

Wishing him well and a speedy recovery!
Post by jeremyr   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:29 pm

jeremyr
Lieutenant Commander

Looks like Hurricane Michael will be visiting Greenville SC this week. Hopefully only a tropical depression by then. Still lots of rain and flooding probably.
Post by alphapatch   » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

alphapatch
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

jeremyr wrote:Looks like Hurricane Michael will be visiting Greenville SC this week. Hopefully only a tropical depression by then. Still lots of rain and flooding probably.

I live a little south of RFC (abt 50 miles). WE are expecting heavy weather starting tomorrow and continuing thru Thursday. Mostly rain and flooding of lower areas, but some wind and gusts 40-50 mph.

Return to Safehold