Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests

Retirement Age in the Honorverse

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

What is the retirement age in the Honorverse?
Military and Private sector?

Naval Retirement:

They now allow you for enlisted to stay in 40 years doing this you will get 100% of your base pay. The max cut off used to be 29 and the min still is 20. The did this since recruiting is low. You can cross over into different branches. If you start out in the Marines first you won't have to attend any other branch of service's boot camp. Now if you go reserve during your time and then go active duty then your time of service is counted differently. If you have a total time of service of 20 years and out of the 20 years 2 of it was reserve time then you wouldn't be able to retire just yet. Hope this was what you were looking for.

Current life expectancy: in US is 79.8 yrs. So essentially half a lifetime.

Life expectancy in the Honorverse: is 300 yrs? So naval retirement after 150 yrs of service?

150 years is a long time to duck ordnance. It's a wonder statistics don't catch up with you long before retirement in this neck-o-the-woods.

Private Sector Retirement: 62 yrs-old. 75 % of Life expectancy.

Which would equate to 225 yrs in Honorverse before retirement.

W :o E!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Retirement Age in the Honorverse
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

At 79.8 yrs long the US is ranked 42nd in Life expectancy.

What planet boasts the highest life expectancy in the Honorverse?

The MA is a wild card.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If everything is a direct correlation, you wouldn't be considered a senior citizen until you are 244 yrs-old. Wait! Did I do that math right, in my head.

Post by Daryl   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:58 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Can't remember where, but in one of the earlier books I read that prolong changed the stages. You had a very long adolescense, a long active life, and at the end the clock reverted to normal. In other words if you have 300 years, from 280 to 300 is like 70 to 90 now.

cthia wrote:If everything is a direct correlation, you wouldn't be considered a senior citizen until you are 244 yrs-old. Wait! Did I do that math right, in my head.
Post by kzt   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:58 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Can't remember where, but in one of the earlier books I read that prolong changed the stages. You had a very long adolescense, a long active life, and at the end the clock reverted to normal. In other words if you have 300 years, from 280 to 300 is like 70 to 90 now.

By the time that comes around nobody on a developed planet will have any personal experience with the issues of old age. It's pretty hard to be a competent gerontologist when you won't have any patients to see for 100+ years.
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:16 am

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

kzt wrote:
Daryl wrote:Can't remember where, but in one of the earlier books I read that prolong changed the stages. You had a very long adolescense, a long active life, and at the end the clock reverted to normal. In other words if you have 300 years, from 280 to 300 is like 70 to 90 now.

By the time that comes around nobody on a developed planet will have any personal experience with the issues of old age. It's pretty hard to be a competent gerontologist when you won't have any patients to see for 100+ years.

Unfortunately, there will be a lot of patients out in the verge systems that don't yet have prolong.
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor has over 100 yrs of service left and her arc is over?

Post by DrakBibliophile   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 am

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Hey Now! Don't you think she deserves a real vacation? ;)

cthia wrote:Honor has over 100 yrs of service left and her arc is over?
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by aairfccha   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:55 am

aairfccha
Commander

cthia wrote:What is the retirement age in the Honorverse?
Military and Private sector?

Flexible out of sheer necessity.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:43 pm

TFLYTSNBN

I imagine that most prolong recipients in the Honorverse have multiple careers in various professions punctuated by taking time off for continuing education or having children. Maternity/Paternity leave is probably messured in years unless you are the Admiral of 8th Fleet who foolishly forgot to check her contraceptive implant.

Return to Honorverse