Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

And on the third... Spoilers

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: And on the third... Spoilers
Post by jtg452   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:13 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:[SPOILER] It is hard to keep track of the damages but one that I'd like to know is this... Are Scotty & The Chief amongst the Living or the Dead or do we know? With so many and so much carnage, I cannot find except for that single mention in this book about Honor knowing that Scotty is not HERE to moderate her vengeance as he was at Grayson. :?

When last heard from (SoV?), Scottie and Sir Horace were serving under Mike, traveling the Fringe dealing with Firebrand's handiwork and giving lessons to Sollie admirals that weren't as smart as the thought they were as only an acolyte of the Salamander can.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Charybdis wrote:[SPOILER] It is hard to keep track of the damages but one that I'd like to know is this... Are Scotty & The Chief amongst the Living or the Dead or do we know? With so many and so much carnage, I cannot find except for that single mention in this book about Honor knowing that Scotty is not HERE to moderate her vengeance as he was at Grayson. :?

Scotty was not there, because he is part of 10th Fleet (last seen in _Shadow of Victory_).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:51 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Robert_A_Woodward wrote:

Scotty was not there, because he is part of 10th Fleet (last seen in _Shadow of Victory_).

Few characters we generally know and follow were there. We've spent a huge amount of time on Henke and she's got a real lot of the folks we like with her and she was barely in the novel.

That's one problem if this is the LAST of all the Honorverse novels. A real lot of emotional hanging threads.

Hopefully, there will be new arc sometime in the near future.
Post by Charybdis   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:38 am

Charybdis
Captain of the List

ldwechsler wrote:That's one problem if this is the LAST of all the Honorverse novels. A real lot of emotional hanging threads.

You are right, way too many threads still hanging especially the MAlignment. I think it is more likely the last of the Honor Harrington FOCUSED novels where she is the prime protagonist. I think she will move to the second rank as a mover & shaker but not the focus.

My problem with our beloved author is that he has so MANY irons in the fire. I don't think (opinion) he will be adding to some even if I wish he did (Dahak & Prince Roger) but even so he has Honorverse (past & present), Multiverse, Safehold & War God, with Safehold STARTING a new arc! :shock:
-----

What say you, my peers?
Post by Theemile   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:26 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:
Few characters we generally know and follow were there. We've spent a huge amount of time on Henke and she's got a real lot of the folks we like with her and she was barely in the novel.

That's one problem if this is the LAST of all the Honorverse novels. A real lot of emotional hanging threads.

There was a bit of confusion there. UH is not the last Honorverse book - It is the last book in the Honor Harrington Story. She may be mentioned or shown again, but her arc is now over. There are more Honorverse books planned.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by ldwechsler   » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:47 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Theemile wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:

There was a bit of confusion there. UH is not the last Honorverse book - It is the last book in the Honor Harrington Story. She may be mentioned or shown again, but her arc is now over. There are more Honorverse books planned.

I agree. But not every story does get that nice ending. I was reading the WEB Griffin marine books and after about ten books they end somewhere in the Korean War. I know how THAT ended but not what happened to the characters. Also, there were a lot of characters in the WWII part (first eight books) who never appeared in the last two books.

We MIGHT find an ending to at least some stories. One of the few blessings of Shadow of Victory was the reuniting of Helan and Paolo, but we may never find out what happened to everyone else.

Note that Baen does not give hints about future books often (occasionally they do for Flint's books but even then it's more that he does it) so as far as I know there are NO new books at all coming for us at that publisher from Weber. And we not know that is true through next May. And maybe forever.
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

now this was a while ago but RFC said that upon completing Through Fiery Trials he would be starting on the next War God book, which would be Baen.

I won't say if that will happen but with Honor mostly put to bed he might now have time to devote to Bahzell & co

though there are comments form someone who spoke to him at one the signings that work is starting on another Apocalypse Troll book and he mentioned continuing Out of the dark with a Co-author
Post by tlb   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:45 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

I was hoping for a new CD with the book; only have through Mission of Honor in searchable form, because I have not purchased the e-Arc versions.

Unhappy that after hearing the Mycroft was the ultimate in system defense, it turned out to be as vulnerable to an improved Mistletoe as Moriarty was to the original Mistletoe.

I would have preferred that the Harringtons were not referred to as a lost Alpha line. The only reason I can see for that is perhaps adding a thread to the Manticore Ascendant series or maybe a future short story. This way the Detweiler vision can win, even if the Renaissance Factor fails; because the "improvements" of the Alphas, Betas and Gammas are already out in the population.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:56 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

tlb wrote:I was hoping for a new CD with the book; only have through Mission of Honor in searchable form, because I have not purchased the e-Arc versions.

The story I heard on that is that Amazon didn't like it; Been had to decimate the old free library to get their books on Amazon.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:21 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

Unlikely, since Eastern Front was years before the Amazon deal.

Nor was the Free Library a sticking point in and of itself. Problem with the Library was that any book in it would automatically be free on Amazon - they do automated price matching - when authors were still getting a fair bit of revenue from those books on the Baen site [strangely, a lot of people like to go back and buy a book they've already read for free, just because]. Since there was no way to work around the price matching, and the whole point of the exercise was to start getting revenue via Amazon and the other big-box ebook outlets from the hordes of readers who were never able to figure out that they could get a better deal buying direct, most writers decided to pull most or all of their works from the Library at least until they could cobble together a Second Edition that could go up for sale while the original was in the Library.

Actually, according to Toni, the CDs were dropped because, like the Free Library, they had served their purpose, which was to promote ebooks and grow the market. Marketing money is now being spent on other things, and I wouldn't expect to see it done again, except maybe as an anniversary issue for WebScriptions, or something of similar significance. And the 25th Anniversary of WebScriptions is still 6 years off.

JohnRoth wrote:
tlb wrote:I was hoping for a new CD with the book; only have through Mission of Honor in searchable form, because I have not purchased the e-Arc versions.

The story I heard on that is that Amazon didn't like it; Been had to decimate the old free library to get their books on Amazon.

Return to Honorverse