Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Your lotto numbers roll in, what do you do?

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Your lotto numbers roll in, what do you do?
Post by bigrunt   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 am

bigrunt
Lieutenant Commander

Spend 5-10% of it in the first year and invest the rest. Split the investments between 3 well known firms. Learn to tell everyone "No"
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:52 pm

TFLYTSNBN

Buy up all of the smaller farms around me that have marginal houses on them then evict any tenants so I can bulldoze the houses to reduce the population around me and make people homeless.
Post by smr   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Pay the taxes 1st.
Remainder:
10% God
Next pay all debt: less than 100,000 dollars.
Buy 3 new cars.
Invest within Roth IRA's.
Post by Annachie   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

TFLYTSNBN wrote:Buy up all of the smaller farms around me that have marginal houses on them then evict any tenants so I can bulldoze the houses to reduce the population around me and make people homeless.
That's kind of funny.

There's so many empty farm houses around here it's not funny.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

bigrunt wrote:Split the investments between 3 well known firms.

Why? You're better off investing your own money. Open a brokerage account online, put about half in a few low-load index funds, and invest the rest in a dozen or so large stable manufacturing companies that pay a decent dividend. Companies like 3M, Johnson & Johnson, General Mills, Caterpillar and Cummins.

Don't forget — over 80% of those 'professional investment managers' fail to outperform the S&P 500 Index.

smr wrote:10% God

You mean, to the greedy priests and ‘evangelists’. God never gets a nickel of it.

Why? Why does your god always need money? Why do ‘his earthly servants’ relentlessly shill for more, and more, and MORE, and then spend it on themselves? Multiple mansions with armies of servants, chauffeured limousines, private jets, luxury vacations, and all of it, ALL OF IT, tax-exempt because it’s ‘a church’. And why does that money come almost entirely from the poorest suckers in the country?
———————————
"I takes the donations, and I throws the money in the air, and what God wants he can keep."
Post by Lord Skimper   » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

We do lotteries different in most parts of Canada. Lottery winnings are tax free. Giving money to relatives is also tax free. Lotteries are lower amounts mainly because we have 10% of the US population.

Our currently largest is set at 60 million plus 16 one shot "max millions" these go up to 100 in number and the 60 million is the highest amount for the standard lottery. It is a 3 lines of numbers you can pick one or do a random pick on that one and two additional random picks. Odds are 84 million to 1 but 28 million to 1 with 3 lines. + or -...

Still currently 84 million for each line for 60 million and various lesser prizes amounts and 84 million per line for each "max million" which is only for 1 million each. @$5 a ticket. it is fairly expensive. Still if you don't play you can't win. And people do win. My roommate at University won $50 million. One of my Teachers at high school shared $50 million with 20 other people including his wife.

Still 84 or 28 million to 1 is terrible odds.

I only buy a ticket when it gets up to multiple max million draws. There is a cheap version that is $2 million plus 7 1 million dollar, max millions for $2.

Still terrible odds.

I sometimes wonder if I play it like the Stock market if I can improve these odds.

On the Market I would gamble $1000's of dollars every day. Some times I would make money and sometimes I wouldn't. hmm I wonder.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:20 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:I sometimes wonder if I play it like the Stock market if I can improve these odds.

On the Market I would gamble $1000's of dollars every day. Some times I would make money and sometimes I wouldn't. hmm I wonder.

If you’re stupid enough to ‘play’ the stock market. Investing in good stocks is a whole different matter.

I invested about $6,000 in Curtiss-Wright 12 years ago. Today it’s worth over $27,000.
I invested $5,000 in Raven four years ago. Today it’s worth over $9,000.
I invested $3,500 in Apple 17 years ago. If I hadn’t sold that stock for $12,000 a few years later, it would be worth over $760,000 and pay over $10,000 a year in dividends today.
I bought some more Apple stock for $26,000 a few years ago. Today it’s worth almost $84,000 and pays over $1,100 a year in dividends.
I invested $6,200 in Ford ten years ago. Today it’s down to $4,775, but I still get $300 a year in dividends and I think it will recover in time.
———————————
'Playing' the stock market is like running through a combination obstacle course and minefield, backwards.
Post by Exidor   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Exidor
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Imaginos1892 wrote:You mean, to the greedy priests and ‘evangelists’. God never gets a nickel of it.

Ideally, tithing is an act of worship - to teach the individual to always to put God first in their lives. And then there's what happens in reality...

The money itself is (supposed to be) used for church operations, and the church plans & budgets based on projections (which don't always match the actual proceeds) from these tithes in order to pay rent, utilities, mortgages, insurance, salaries, maintenance, etc. (depending upon the church's facilities). However, please note that different denominations run differently.

Imaginos1892 wrote:Why do ‘his earthly servants’ relentlessly shill for more, and more, and MORE, and then spend it on themselves?

In my opinion - because those individuals fell to the temptation that all that brought. They failed their purpose to be "good stewards" (or redefined for themselves what a good steward is supposed to be) of what they were responsible for.

On the other hand, I believe that one should expect the congregation(s) to be willing to toss the foul marker and hold them accountable - which seems (at least to me) to be kinda hard to do with a mega-church.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:39 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Churches and the like are the same all around the world. In Japan I've been behind the curtain Buddhism is remarkably like Christianity without the sexual repression. People spend crazy amounts of money buying prayers in Japan.

Return to Free-Range Topics...