Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Recommendation

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Recommendation
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Peregrinator wrote:The Forever War by Joe Haldeman

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

All of the Falkenberg's Legion yarns by Jerry Pournelle, including the books he wrote with S.M. Stirling. Top it off by reading The Mote in God's Eye by Niven and Pournelle which might not be categorized as pure military SF but is something that everyone should read (it takes place in the same universe as Falkenberg's Legion).

The Man-Kzin Wars series.

For something new, Marko Kloos' Frontlines series.

There's at least one sequel to Mote in God's Eye (which IS a masterpiece). I think it is called The Gripping Hand. And I believe there may be a story or two out there.

By the way, this has the most interesting group of aliens I have ever come across.
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:There's at least one sequel to Mote in God's Eye (which IS a masterpiece). I think it is called The Gripping Hand. And I believe there may be a story or two out there.

By the way, this has the most interesting group of aliens I have ever come across.

I've read The Gripping Hand and honestly, I wasn't impressed. On the other hand, Jennifer Pournelle's Outies is, ahh, very interesting to say the least.
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:15 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

ldwechsler wrote:More adult than the book which was originally written for boys (he wrote a lot of the stories the books were based on for Boy's Life, the more or less official magazine of the Boy Scouts).
Just about no women back in the 1950's army.

Starship Troopers isn't one of Heinlein's juveniles and, if I remember correctly, the dropship pilots in Troopers do tend to be women (but it's been a long time since I read it so I could be quite wrong).
Post by Peregrinator   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Peregrinator
Commander

Almost forgot - the "War World" series of stories based in Pournelle's Co-Dominium universe.
Post by Hegemon   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:00 pm

Hegemon
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

You may also check out Jack Campbell's works, especially his Lost Fleet series, which is explicitly described by the author as Anabasis in space.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabasis_(Xenophon)

I will give you a spoiler of the first five pages: a captain winds up in command of a decimated and decapitated fleet and must lead it to safety in a desperate retreat from deep within enemy territory.
Post by Bluesqueak   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Bluesqueak
Captain of the List

Peregrinator wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:More adult than the book which was originally written for boys (he wrote a lot of the stories the books were based on for Boy's Life, the more or less official magazine of the Boy Scouts).

Starship Troopers isn't one of Heinlein's juveniles and, if I remember correctly, the dropship pilots in Troopers do tend to be women (but it's been a long time since I read it so I could be quite wrong).

You remember correctly. It's an interesting take on the physical differences between the sexes; it seems no women are tough enough to be infantry (and only one in ten men make it through training).

However, almost no men have the combination of mathematical ability, reflexes and spatial awareness required to pilot a spacecraft. And it's strongly implied that the few men who do just aren't as good as the women.

Farmer in the Sky was the book written specifically for the Scouts.
Post by Joat42   » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:26 pm

Joat42
Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:..snip..
Farmer in the Sky was the book written specifically for the Scouts.

Which reminds me I need to re-read Tunnel in the Sky again.

---
Jack of all trades and destructive tinkerer.

Anyone who have simple solutions for complex problems is a fool.
Post by AJKohler   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:01 am

AJKohler
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I'd add Tanya Huff's Confederation series.
Tony

http://www.repeat-lives.com - Please read Repeat
Vietnam veteran - 187th Assault Helicopter Company, Tay Ninh, RVN 1968 - 1969
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:45 am

TFLYTSNBN

Peregrinator wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:There's at least one sequel to Mote in God's Eye (which IS a masterpiece). I think it is called The Gripping Hand. And I believe there may be a story or two out there.

I've read The Gripping Hand and honestly, I wasn't impressed. On the other hand, Jennifer Pournelle's Outies is, ahh, very interesting to say the least.

You mean "on the gripping hand" Jennifer Pournelle's OUTIES is a good sequel. I agree.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:56 am

TFLYTSNBN

ldwechsler wrote:
TFLYTSNBN wrote:David Drake's Hammers Slammers

S & M Sterling's Draka series.

Jerry Pournelle's CoDominum series.
Might condense it down to THE PRINCE with S & M Sterling's.

Starship Troopers by Heinlien.
I mean the book, not the movie.
The only good scenes in the movie were the shower scene and the propaganda newsreel where the humans​ were high voltage anal probing the aliens..

I disagree about the Heinlein film. Yes, I liked the shower scene (Go Dina Meyer) but I thought it was in the spirit of Heinlein.

More adult than the book which was originally written for boys (he wrote a lot of the stories the books were based on for Boy's Life, the more or less official magazine of the Boy Scouts).

And things have to be modernized for new generations. Good action also.

By the way, things like mixed showers, etc. might be very useful in terms of the modern military assuming good birth control.

Note that men and women crew members on ships roomed together. I recall that bit from Honor Among Enemies.

I understood that production cost made depicting powered armor unfeasible. However; the infantry action was so cheesy that it was laughable.

I was impressed that the class on history and moral philosophy was included.

I confess that I was disapointed that it was Dinah Meyer rather than Denise Richards who did the shower scene. On the gripping hand, Dinah Meyer is unenhanced.

Return to Honorverse