Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests

change in narrators

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: change in narrators
Post by Donnachaidh   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:10 pm

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

Bluesqueak wrote:
Annachie wrote:It reads like he was attempting a joke on the recording team and it slipped through.

OK, maybe I'm being too nice.

It could have been a joke, yeah, but what's deeply unprofessional is letting that joke get through to the final reader version. He was getting paid, dammit.

He was the reader not the audio engineer. If it was a joke that wasn't edited out, that's on the audio engineer not the reader.
Post by runsforcelery   » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:32 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Donnachaidh wrote:
Annachie wrote:It reads like he was attempting a joke on the recording team and it slipped through.

OK, maybe I'm being too nice.

Bluesqueak wrote:It could have been a joke, yeah, but what's deeply unprofessional is letting that joke get through to the final reader version. He was getting paid, dammit.

He was the reader not the audio engineer. If it was a joke that wasn't edited out, that's on the audio engineer not the reader.

The audio engineer doesn't have the script, or isn't reading it, at least. His job is to make sure recording levels are good, sound is clear, there are no slurred lines, etc. It is not his job to check the reader's words against the printed page. If it was intended as a joke, then it's on the reader, and not his engineer.

Before I started selling novels, I spent a lot of time in recording studios doing radio advertising. The engineer has more than enough on his plate without having to worry about stupid jokes/insertions by supposedly professional voice talent.

Whether it was a joke that was supposed to be edited out or intended to get through to the final product, it was deeply unprofessional. In all the years that I did audio, I don't think I ever once had voice talent slip in a "joke" line. Sometimes entire sessions broke up into laughter and you had to start over because someone flubbed a line, but that's a very different situation.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Donnachaidh   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:35 am

Donnachaidh
Rear Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
Donnachaidh wrote:He was the reader not the audio engineer. If it was a joke that wasn't edited out, that's on the audio engineer not the reader.

The audio engineer doesn't have the script, or isn't reading it, at least. His job is to make sure recording levels are good, sound is clear, there are no slurred lines, etc. It is not his job to check the reader's words against the printed page. If it was intended as a joke, then it's on the reader, and not his engineer.

Before I started selling novels, I spent a lot of time in recording studios doing radio advertising. The engineer has more than enough on his plate without having to worry about stupid jokes/insertions by supposedly professional voice talent.

Whether it was a joke that was supposed to be edited out or intended to get through to the final product, it was deeply unprofessional. In all the years that I did audio, I don't think I ever once had voice talent slip in a "joke" line. Sometimes entire sessions broke up into laughter and you had to start over because someone flubbed a line, but that's a very different situation.

I don't disagree that changing a line and flubbing a line are very different nor that putting in a joke line is unprofessional (though I can't think of another reason why that would have been recorded). And I was definitely extrapolating based off the limited understanding I have of audiobook recording from an audio engineer at a different company.

All I truly know about how it happened is in this thread so I obviously can't say why that got recorded. I personally prefer Oliver Wyman's recordings to the others that have read the Safehold books but it's your creation and you're the one that is working with them so it's your call as far as I'm concerned.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:20 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I find it hard to go past Stephen Fry as a narrator.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Daryl   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Bit unfair to put up the most competent speaker of English ever. Slam dunk, or game over.
Annachie wrote:Personally, I find it hard to go past Stephen Fry as a narrator.
Post by isaac_newton   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:03 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Daryl wrote:Bit unfair to put up the most competent speaker of English ever. Slam dunk, or game over.

well - that might be pushing it a bit far.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:Bit unfair to put up the most competent speaker of English ever. Slam dunk, or game over.
He's not bad with the latin either:

https://youtu.be/976mmTNbLbg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by eldrwyrm   » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:03 pm

eldrwyrm
Lieutenant Commander

There was an insertion that had nothing to do with the plot. It was not a misreading; it was a whole-cloth insertion, without my approval or that of the publishers, that had zero to do with the plot and made absolutely no sense, and it significantly pissed me off.

And when I say it was not a misreading, it definitely was not. I have no idea why it was done, but the instant it was called to my attention by a reader/listener, TOR and I were on the line to Audible demanding it be repaired, so I really don't know how many copies were sold with the insertion in them.

I don't intend to have it happen again.

Well, that makes me sad, because Oliver Wymann is probably my favorite audiobook narrator (Wil Wheaton is a very close second). But this is troubling, not only because he violated the work he did on this, but now it makes me wonder if he's ever done that with anything else I've listened to, or own.
Hopefully Mr. Davis will take you up on the pronunciation guide. The book narrated by Charles Keating very nearly killed me with fits of apoplexy over his myriad mis-pronunciations.
Post by phillies   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:05 am

phillies
Admiral

eldrwyrm wrote:
There was an insertion that had nothing to do with the plot. It was not a misreading; it was a whole-cloth insertion, without my approval or that of the publishers, that had zero to do with the plot and made absolutely no sense, and it significantly pissed me off.

And when I say it was not a misreading, it definitely was not. I have no idea why it was done, but the instant it was called to my attention by a reader/listener, TOR and I were on the line to Audible demanding it be repaired, so I really don't know how many copies were sold with the insertion in them.

I don't intend to have it happen again.

Well, that makes me sad, because Oliver Wymann is probably my favorite audiobook narrator (Wil Wheaton is a very close second). But this is troubling, not only because he violated the work he did on this, but now it makes me wonder if he's ever done that with anything else I've listened to, or own.
Hopefully Mr. Davis will take you up on the pronunciation guide. The book narrated by Charles Keating very nearly killed me with fits of apoplexy over his myriad mis-pronunciations.

Oh, dear. So that's what happened.
Post by Morden   » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:03 am

Morden
Lieutenant Commander

I dont suppose there's any chance that the new narrator is going to redo them all so we can have a single consistent line of them? like what happened with the Honor Harrington ones when they got an audible do-over.

I dont blame you at all though, whether it was intentional, whether his mind wandered or whether it was a joke. It was unprofessional and incompetent and it should never have happened and he should have proofed his work on the off chance that it was an error.

Return to Safehold