Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 19 guests

Tarot.

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Tarot.
Post by jlrice54   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:30 pm

jlrice54
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Is it my imagination but Tarot doesn’t seem to be playing a major role in the empire other than the naval base? Is Tarot too small to be a factor? Or since it was brought into the empire without a conflict did it just settlle into place quietly?
Re: Tarot.
Post by thanatos   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:01 pm

thanatos
Captain (Junior Grade)

jlrice54 wrote:Is it my imagination but Tarot doesn’t seem to be playing a major role in the empire other than the naval base? Is Tarot too small to be a factor? Or since it was brought into the empire without a conflict did it just settlle into place quietly?

Tarot importance to the plot was always directly proportional to its significance on Safehold. In OAR, it was a second tier naval power that was apparently just large enough to be considered a kingdom (unlike Corisande which was a first tier naval power). As the plot progressed, its treachery in OAR became the focal point for passive Charisian action that eventually brought about its capitulation in AMT and Gorjah's swearing fealty to Cayleb and Sharlayan in HFAT. After that, Tarot is no longer important unless RFC can make some use of them. Remember that Trellheim has yet to make its mark while the Raven Lords were equally minor players.
Post by jlrice54   » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:58 pm

jlrice54

That was pretty much my assumption up to this point. Tarot’s main value to the empire seemed to be as a base closer to the mainland and the as the western natural border of the empire.
Post by jtg452   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:22 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

jlrice54 wrote:That was pretty much my assumption up to this point. Tarot’s main value to the empire seemed to be as a base closer to the mainland and the as the western natural border of the empire.

Denying the Temple the use it as a forward naval base that was basically on Old Charis' doorstep also played a major part, too.
Post by elaineofshalott   » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:44 pm

elaineofshalott

It is also probably a factor that as of the end of AtSoT there haven't been any members of the inner circle from Tarot. There have been a number of significant naval officers, however, so they seem like they are pretty well integrated into the EoC. So it wouldn't surprise me if we find some of them in the inner circle eventually.
Post by Maldorian   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 am

Maldorian
Captain (Junior Grade)

If I remember correct, than is Tarot NOT an Island, that means it has a border to a church country. A border that must be defended. Could be that Tarot doesn´t appear so much on the big screen, because they use the most of their forces and resurces to keep the church out of their land.
Post by Isilith   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:38 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

Maldorian wrote:If I remember correct, than is Tarot NOT an Island, that means it has a border to a church country. A border that must be defended. Could be that Tarot doesn´t appear so much on the big screen, because they use the most of their forces and resurces to keep the church out of their land.

You don't remember correctly, they are an island.
Post by Taras_Potatos   » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:40 am

Taras_Potatos
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Maldorian wrote:If I remember correct, than is Tarot NOT an Island, that means it has a border to a church country. A border that must be defended. Could be that Tarot doesn´t appear so much on the big screen, because they use the most of their forces and resurces to keep the church out of their land.

Tarot is an island.

Return to Safehold