Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

TFT Snippet #7

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: TFT Snippet #7
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:51 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Dang! Harchong serfs are going to become CoC congregants. That will be a nice set up to the future conflict.

All the speculation on smuggling serfs out of Harchong may just have gained some weight. If they are CoC converts, they would gladly consecrate Silverlode and become small land owners owing fealty to the House of Ahrmahk. The House that protects their church. I wonder just how many will make it there before the Return?
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:07 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

most intresting.

I can understand the reluctance to send Rainbow Waters when harchong refused to let the men return. it was very much a fight now or fight later situation.

from the veiwpoint of trying to keep the CoGA intact it probably was the right call. having just fought one war they needed time before starting another. even a true war of liberation.

still the fact that they are willing to use the church of charis indicates that are more flexible then the old church and that is going to make them a much trickier opponent when the War comes again, especially if their is an Archangel backing Zion this time.
Post by Isilith   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:52 am

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

RFC, you sneaky lil devil! :shock:

Sending the CoC into Harchong will open up things for Merlin to have active, or should I say OPEN, operations there. Maybe Merlin goes and rescues a member of Rainbow Waters family?

I can also see a few ( be they overly brutal serfs or aristocrats ) visits being paid by Mab as well.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:56 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

So, Rainbow Waters will be given an army to prevent the bloodshed from spilling East into the Temple Lands. The Emperor fled to South Harchong along with many of the aristocrats. Charis will be asked to provide humanitarian aid to the serfs.

My suspicious nature believes Charis will be sending more than just humanitarian aid. One wonders just how willing the Empire of Charis will be to interdict North Harchong from all South Harchong arms shipments? Charis could well assert that since they are sending Charisian nationals to aid Harchong, the Charisian Emperor has the obligation to insure his people are safe. That may mean Charis enforces a cease fire using the full military resources of the Charisian Empire. During which Charisian advisors help the Harchongese serfs secure their positions in Langhorne, Maddox, Stene, Tieglekamp and Chaing-wu.

If the EoC does this, they can establish another heavily populated pro-innovation nation. Assuming Rainbow Waters guards the new nation's Eastern border from Harchnongese incursions, the nation will have to defend only their Western border. If Charis succeeds in giving them enough time to consolidate their provinces, the new nation may well end up controling all of North Harchong.

I wonder if the new nation will seek admission to the Charisian Empire? If they survive either independently or as part of the EoC, they'll have to adopt Charisian free markets to produce enough resources to defend themselves from South Harchong. With a big enough capital infusion from Charis, that economy will eventually be massive.

That leaves Zion between two heavily populated nations that have been horribly treated by the CoGA. Both nations will have had to develop every innovation they could to survive their trials and will see every reason to continue to innovate to safeguard their nation. I can't help but think this means Greentree Island and the Barren Lands will be much more attractive for Charisian colonization.
Last edited by PeterZ on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post by Isilith   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Isilith
Captain (Junior Grade)

PeterZ wrote:So, Rainbow Waters will be given an army to prevent the bloodshed from spilling East into the Temple Lands. The Emperor fled to South Harchong along with many of the aristocrats. Charis will be asked to provide humanitarian aid to the serfs.

My suspicious nature believes Charis will be sending more than just humanitarian aid. One wonders just how willing the Empire of Charis will be to interdict North Harchong from all South Harchong arms shipments? Charis could well assert that since they are sending Charisian nationals to aid Harchong, the Charisian Emperor has the obligation to insure his people are safe. That may mean Charis enforces a cease fire using the full military resources of the Charisian Empire. During which Charisian advisors help the Harchongese serfs secure their positions in Langhorne, Maddox, Stene, Tieglekamp and Chaing-wu.

If the EoC does this, they can establish another heavily populated pro-innovation nation. Assuming Rainbow Waters guards the new nation's Eastern border from Harchnongese incursions, the nation will have to defend only their Western border. If Charis succeeds in giving them enough time to consolidate their provinces, the new nation may well end up controling all of North Harchong.

I wonder if the new nation will seek admission to the Charisian Empire?

That's a good point, one I hadn't considered. The serfs would have ZERO "national identity" and ties to a "Harchong". Seeing as they have been brutalized by the tiny % of people who do/did have that identity.

Whereas, they would have a lot of affection and identify with the EoC, if they did feed and arm them as well as effectively intervene on their behalf.

Edited to add, we have been introduced to Charisians ( Old Charisians that is ) and Corisandians who were descended from escaped serfs. Who are now rabid Charisian nationalists.( I also felt that RFC was implying that the Harchongian element in the EoC was larger than shown, and fully integrated into Charis )

Do you think that those Charisians, of Harchongian descent, just might be some damn effective ambassadors for the EoC? ;)
Post by phillies   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 pm

phillies
Admiral

One might also wonder, referring to South Harchong, if at this late date there are any surviving "American" issues in the south to match the "Chinese" issues in the north. Some of us do recall the Safehold city whose original name was "New York".
Post by phillies   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:33 pm

phillies
Admiral

With respect to "the emperor fled" I am left with the impression that Waisu VI did not make it out of Shang-mi.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Isilith wrote:
That's a good point, one I hadn't considered. The serfs would have ZERO "national identity" and ties to a "Harchong". Seeing as they have been brutalized by the tiny % of people who do/did have that identity.

Whereas, they would have a lot of affection and identify with the EoC, if they did feed and arm them as well as effectively intervene on their behalf.

Edited to add, we have been introduced to Charisians ( Old Charisians that is ) and Corisandians who were descended from escaped serfs. Who are now rabid Charisian nationalists.( I also felt that RFC was implying that the Harchongian element in the EoC was larger than shown, and fully integrated into Charis )

Do you think that those Charisians, of Harchongian descent, just might be some damn effective ambassadors for the EoC? ;)

Well, I got the impression that Out Islanders were similar ethnically to Malay and other Southeast Asian peoples. I suspect that they are physically more similar to the Harchongese than most mainlanders. I always considered Charisian sailors are the inheritors to the Buginese sailors of the South Sunda Sea. The intrepid inhabitants of South Sulawesi and as Thomas Forrest wrote in A Voyage from Calcutta to the Mergui Archipelago (1792), S.78 ff., “The Buggesses in general are a high-spirited people; they will not bear ill usage... They deserve the character given of Malays in general, by Monsieur Poivre, in his Travels of a Philosopher, 'fond of adventures, emigration, and capable of undertaking the most dangerous enterprizes'.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugis
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:39 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:With respect to "the emperor fled" I am left with the impression that Waisu VI did not make it out of Shang-mi.

Agreed. However, Waisu VI's heir, the current Emperor of Harchong did flee South.
Post by Julia Minor   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Julia Minor
Commander

I'm a bit surprised that Rhobair didn't suggest calling on the Siddarmarkians to help with the humanitarian effort.

Maybe "surprised" is the wrong word -- after all, if Charis isn't called in, Merlin has no excuse to get involved. But we know from the last novel that there's a lot of Siddarmarkians who fall halfway between the Church of the Temple and the Church of Charis. Siddarmark has the same "street cred" of having been attacked by the Temple, is closer to Harchong geographically, and unless I hideously misread things may be closer to the Temple theologically.

OTOH, I'm now suspecting that Charis being called in to help is part of what gives Merlin a chance to check out the Temple in that out-of-order snippet.

Return to Safehold