Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

New to Forum, with a few questions

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
New to Forum, with a few questions
Post by Phyrbird   » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Phyrbird
Midshipman

Hello, I'm on my snotty cruise. :) Been a Honorverse reader for long while, I got started after I found the sequel to Witches of Karres, followed/jumped from author to author finding Mr Weber eventually. He is one I keep coming back to volume after book. I have to confess being addicted.
Now that I'm here I would like some advice. :? If one were to research and write a spun off tale(s) in our "verse" I would be very upset to find bad things about copyright problems. :oops: I'm sure our favorite author would be equally miffed. He could accuse me of snatching his celery. :evil: It would help greatly to have some general guidelines of how to proceed. I would be delighted to contribute without stepping on any truehands. ;)
I'm also afraid there might be a need for considerable mentoring if anyone has time. On that score I am hopeful.
Re: New to Forum, with a few questions
Post by Randomiser   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:18 am

Randomiser
Rear Admiral

Hi Phyrbird Welcome to the forums.

You should have a look at the sticky announcement on Forum Rules and Information at the top of the forum. On Fan Fiction it says

"Fan Fiction
- If you need a definition of what Fan Fiction is, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction
Mr. Weber has requested that fan fiction NOT be posted. The rationale is that if he sees something, and it subconsciously gets worked into the series he would be liable to the original creator. If you have an idea or story you want to share, get his permission (don't send him the story though) first before posting it here."
Post by Phyrbird   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:48 pm

Phyrbird
Midshipman

Randomiser wrote:Hi Phyrbird Welcome to the forums.

You should have a look at the sticky announcement on Forum Rules and Information at the top of the forum. On Fan Fiction it says

"Fan Fiction
- If you need a definition of what Fan Fiction is, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction
Mr. Weber has requested that fan fiction NOT be posted. The rationale is that if he sees something, and it subconsciously gets worked into the series he would be liable to the original creator. If you have an idea or story you want to share, get his permission (don't send him the story though) first before posting it here."

Thanks RM,
I guess this is the crux of my question. I plan to write on the fate of the antagonists of the RMN/HMN using ideas that could have interest for the "Verse" inhabitants. There is great potential for limited comic relief from current political media in one of these. I also plan to publish initially via the Amazon venue. My ideas could be significant departures from our current "verse" that may lead to separate sequels on totally separate evolutions. I feel need to ask permission of our favorite celery chef for use of characters & "history" from the existing "verse". This effort will be pointless if I infringe on Mr Weber's copyright; further I would not adulterate Honorverse without support from our Gnarly creator(s). I have no intent to create fan fiction but works of my own.
Hope this clarifies the question. So who can help with advice to avoid infringement. Plus I have tried to email, message, & text contacts on the web for Mr Weber with little response.
Thanks, Yours truly,
Carl
Post by Eagleeye   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:30 pm

Eagleeye
Commodore

Phyrbird wrote:Thanks RM,
I guess this is the crux of my question. I plan to write on the fate of the antagonists of the RMN/HMN using ideas that could have interest for the "Verse" inhabitants. There is great potential for limited comic relief from current political media in one of these. I also plan to publish initially via the Amazon venue. My ideas could be significant departures from our current "verse" that may lead to separate sequels on totally separate evolutions. I feel need to ask permission of our favorite celery chef for use of characters & "history" from the existing "verse". This effort will be pointless if I infringe on Mr Weber's copyright; further I would not adulterate Honorverse without support from our Gnarly creator(s). I have no intent to create fan fiction but works of my own.
Hope this clarifies the question. So who can help with advice to avoid infringement. Plus I have tried to email, message, & text contacts on the web for Mr Weber with little response.
Thanks, Yours truly,
Carl

Try to get contact via Baen Publishing. You could use Baen's Bar. There's a conference there, called Toni's Table, which belongs to Toni Weisskopf, the Head of Baen. She should be able to bring you into contact with David - as long as you can convince her that that would be a good idea.
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:14 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Eagleeye wrote:
Phyrbird wrote:Thanks RM,
Thanks, Yours truly,
Carl

Try to get contact via Baen Publishing. You could use Baen's Bar. There's a conference there, called Toni's Table, which belongs to Toni Weisskopf, the Head of Baen. She should be able to bring you into contact with David - as long as you can convince her that that would be a good idea.

I am afraid that, as a general rule, I am not in favor of this. The Honorverse has been around a long time, and I don't want it going off in directions other than those specifically planned/coordinate by me. I give my anthology contributors a lot of freedom, but their stories have to fit within the general course of the overarching story I am telling, and alternate outcomes don't fall within those parameters.

I'm sorry, because I know a lot of people love writing fan fiction about their favorite characters, but I made a policy decision almost 30 years ago that I wasn't going there. I do not frequent sites where fanfiction appears and I have made it clear that I don't want any of to appear here, either.

If you contact Toni and convince her that your project works, then I would probably at least consider it, but I have to warn you that she is a true dragon when it comes to protecting her writers. One reason we love her so much! :-)

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Phyrbird   » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Phyrbird
Midshipman

runsforcelery wrote:

I am afraid that, as a general rule, I am not in favor of this. The Honorverse has been around a long time, and I don't want it going off in directions other than those specifically planned/coordinate by me. I give my anthology contributors a lot of freedom, but their stories have to fit within the general course of the overarching story I am telling, and alternate outcomes don't fall within those parameters.

I'm sorry, because I know a lot of people love writing fan fiction about their favorite characters, but I made a policy decision almost 30 years ago that I wasn't going there. I do not frequent sites where fanfiction appears and I have made it clear that I don't want any of to appear here, either.

If you contact Toni and convince her that your project works, then I would probably at least consider it, but I have to warn you that she is a true dragon when it comes to protecting her writers. One reason we love her so much! :-)[/quote]
Thanks this is exactly the info I need; will do commo w/ Ms Toni. Thus my idea(s) can be potentially be of value with out being a potential NanoTech attack on future plot. Just for information, I have always been a fan of Dragons. Anne McCaffrey was one of my heroes in earlier decades. Just never managed to visit (a neighbor) her till too late.
A side note: do you recall a white haired lady Judge of literature from S Ky? She & I had some great discussions at an area college.(Franklin Ky) She told gripping tales of some of the times at the conventions. (DragonCon?) I've always wanted to get back to her but have no idea for a contact. I do wish for her promised signed copy, but would be more honored to contribute to our verse.
Again thanks O Grand & Mighty connoisseur of Celery
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:27 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Phyrbird wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

If you contact Toni and convince her that your project works, then I would probably at least consider it, but I have to warn you that she is a true dragon when it comes to protecting her writers. One reason we love her so much! :-)

Thanks this is exactly the info I need; will do commo w/ Ms Toni. Thus my idea(s) can be potentially be of value with out being a potential NanoTech attack on future plot. Just for information, I have always been a fan of Dragons. Anne McCaffrey was one of my heroes in earlier decades. Just never managed to visit (a neighbor) her till too late.
A side note: do you recall a white haired lady Judge of literature from S Ky? She & I had some great discussions at an area college.(Franklin Ky) She told gripping tales of some of the times at the conventions. (DragonCon?) I've always wanted to get back to her but have no idea for a contact. I do wish for her promised signed copy, but would be more honored to contribute to our verse.
Again thanks O Grand & Mighty connoisseur of Celery[/quote]

If you like writing fan fiction, may I suggest you check Eric Flint's 163x universe. That starts with 1632 and has a couple of dozen follow ups. But fans are encouraged to write fiction...on the Baen bar website. Actually, there is a bimonthly magazine that is filled with fan (and some regular authors) fiction.

There are a few restrictions. You can't use major figures and some of the lesser ones are reserved by other fans for their fiction. It does help if it makes sense in terms of the overall story line.

Check the Baen.com website for the bar and go to 1632 slush. You'll see lots of story submissions.
Post by Phyrbird   » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Phyrbird
Midshipman

I wish the 163x idea were feasible, but I have not spent enough time in the "verse" to be competent. :oops: I will try to remedy that. ;)
For now I am making the effort to connect with our Friendly Ms Toni on the Baen site, wish me luck :!: :!:
Carl

Return to Honorverse