Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Single Harrington books have travelled millions of miles

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Single Harrington books have travelled millions of miles
Post by phillies   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:12 pm

phillies
Admiral

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 69681.html

It's a list of books read on the International Space Station. Books by David Weber are prominent for their presence.

and as the ISS travels something like a third of a million miles a day, and thus a hundred million miles a year, that one copy of Short Victorious War has likely travelled several hundred million miles.
Re: Single Harrington books have travelled millions of miles
Post by ywing14   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

phillies wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/astronauts-international-space-station-books-story-time-tim-peak-a8469681.html

It's a list of books read on the International Space Station. Books by David Weber are prominent for their presence.

and as the ISS travels something like a third of a million miles a day, and thus a hundred million miles a year, that one copy of Short Victorious War has likely travelled several hundred million miles.

Nice find Phillies!
Post by cthia   » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

How appropos. That's a lot of frequent flyer miles logged for a Short Victorious War. . .eh Peeps?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:18 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

phillies wrote:https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/astronauts-international-space-station-books-story-time-tim-peak-a8469681.html

More Weber books than any other author (13), #2 is Bujold (11). Impressive....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

If only one book could be in that entire library. . . On Basilisk Station.

Hard to believe the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson didn't make it, since it is considered to be the bible of colonization. If somehow, they get stranded on another planet, they'll regret not having all of Robinson's. Even over OBS. LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:If only one book could be in that entire library. . . On Basilisk Station.

Hard to believe the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson didn't make it, since it is considered to be the bible of colonization. If somehow, they get stranded on another planet, they'll regret not having all of Robinson's. Even over OBS. LOL

It sounded like those were physical books lifted up there. how many e-books are up there? At a fraction of the mass of 1 paperback, a single flashdrive could store libraries.....
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by drothgery   » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:If only one book could be in that entire library. . . On Basilisk Station.

It sounded like those were physical books lifted up there. how many e-books are up there? At a fraction of the mass of 1 paperback, a single flashdrive could store libraries.....

And they can send new material without needing a launch...

Return to Honorverse