Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

Hollywood Stupid

For anyone who might want to have a side conversation...you're welcome here!
Re: Hollywood Stupid
Post by vovchara   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:33 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I complained once to an author about trigger discipline on a cover of his books. Since then in every following book the protagonists making fun of each other's gun handling :)
Post by dscott8   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:15 am

dscott8
Commodore

One big Hollywood Stupid: Mamma Mia 2.

The first movie was a painful attempt to build a convoluted, unlikely paternity plot just to hang ABBA songs on it. It was painful to watch, even for my wife (a huge ABBA fan). Because so many ABBA fans paid real money to see it, they're going back to the well. I expect it to be so bad that it will even spoil the first movie for those who liked it.

Plus, Pierce Brosnan will once again mumble and growl his way though a song. Yeesh.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 am

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

vovchara wrote:I complained once to an author about trigger discipline on a cover of his books. Since then in every following book the protagonists making fun of each other's gun handling

Authors have very little control over what the publisher puts on their book covers. Good cover art appropriate to the story is mostly a result of luck and coincidence. A few authors gain enough clout to have some say in the selection process. Your author was probably making fun of the publisher and/or cover artist.

dscott8 wrote:Plus, Pierce Brosnan will once again mumble and growl his way though a song. Yeesh.

Oh, yeah, that's the one thing I took away from Mamma Mia — Pierce Brosnan should not sing. He did an OK James Bond, though.
———————————
The best thing about virginity is, it's so easy to cure.
Post by jtg452   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:51 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

Imaginos1892 wrote:We've all seen it — things in movies and TV that are so Stuck-On-Stupid they make you want to throw things at the screen. Ain't no stupid like Hollywood Stupid! Here is a place to vent without risk to your TV.

1. Lights INSIDE space suit helmets

Idiotic! All you would see is a distorted reflection of your own face. The most recent place I've seen this particular bone-headed move is in Doctor Who. They should know better!

Come on, Hollywood! (Actually the Beeb in this case, but it's all the same) There are other ways to light the actors' faces that are NOT stupid! Besides, who would die if the faces are not perfectly lit in a few scenes?

Have the actors never mentioned this? "Hey, I can't see out of that damn helmet with all the lights in my face!"

2. Running through the woods with a lantern

The Creepy Killer is out there somewhere, so one or two of the Dead Meats go running through the woods with a lantern to escape. Dummkopfs! The lantern allows you to see for meters; it allows you to be seen for kilometers!

This applies to any light source used while searching for an enemy in the dark, but a lantern is the most stupidest ever.

3. Sliding along the wall to a blind corner

Our Hero is pursuing the Bad Guy and he creeps up to the corner so the BG can be right in his face when he steps around it.

Approach a corner from the opposite wall, moron! Or as far away as possible, anyway.

4. Holding a gun out at arm's length

Often combined with #3 for Extra Stupid. You're just begging to have the gun knocked or snatched out of your hand.

Keep your gun close, making it hard for the enemy to get to it!

5. Running away from a downed enemy

Congratulations! You managed to surprise and disarm the Bad Guy, so you…run away. Allowing BG to recover, re-arm and try to kill you some more. This takes a really special kind of stupid.

I have quit letting Hollywood get to me with their stupidity.

I just use suspension of disbelief.

The story I am watching is taking place in a universe where the stuff I see that looks stupid makes sense. If I don't do it, I can't enjoy the rest of the story.

Suspension of disbelief comes in really handy. I use it any time I read sci-fi, most fiction or have to listen to Leftists speak.
Post by Daryl   » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

What are "Leftists"?
jtg452 wrote:
Imaginos1892 wrote:We've all seen it — things in movies and TV that are so Stuck-On-Stupid they make you want to throw things at the screen. Ain't no stupid like Hollywood Stupid! Here is a place to vent without risk to your TV.

1. Lights INSIDE space suit helmets

Idiotic! All you would see is a distorted reflection of your own face. The most recent place I've seen this particular bone-headed move is in Doctor Who. They should know better!

Come on, Hollywood! (Actually the Beeb in this case, but it's all the same) There are other ways to light the actors' faces that are NOT stupid! Besides, who would die if the faces are not perfectly lit in a few scenes?

Have the actors never mentioned this? "Hey, I can't see out of that damn helmet with all the lights in my face!"

2. Running through the woods with a lantern

The Creepy Killer is out there somewhere, so one or two of the Dead Meats go running through the woods with a lantern to escape. Dummkopfs! The lantern allows you to see for meters; it allows you to be seen for kilometers!

This applies to any light source used while searching for an enemy in the dark, but a lantern is the most stupidest ever.

3. Sliding along the wall to a blind corner

Our Hero is pursuing the Bad Guy and he creeps up to the corner so the BG can be right in his face when he steps around it.

Approach a corner from the opposite wall, moron! Or as far away as possible, anyway.

4. Holding a gun out at arm's length

Often combined with #3 for Extra Stupid. You're just begging to have the gun knocked or snatched out of your hand.

Keep your gun close, making it hard for the enemy to get to it!

5. Running away from a downed enemy

Congratulations! You managed to surprise and disarm the Bad Guy, so you…run away. Allowing BG to recover, re-arm and try to kill you some more. This takes a really special kind of stupid.

I have quit letting Hollywood get to me with their stupidity.

I just use suspension of disbelief.

The story I am watching is taking place in a universe where the stuff I see that looks stupid makes sense. If I don't do it, I can't enjoy the rest of the story.

Suspension of disbelief comes in really handy. I use it any time I read sci-fi, most fiction or have to listen to Leftists speak.
Post by Annachie   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:57 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:What are "Leftists"?

Susan Vega fans?

https://youtu.be/9YIBmZjONtA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by vovchara   » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:35 am

vovchara
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

jtg452 wrote:Suspension of disbelief comes in really handy. I use it any time I read sci-fi, most fiction or have to listen to Leftists speak.

Suspension of disbelief is an essential part of the fiction. This why "Hollywood stupid" is such a bad thing because it destroys it.

Unless you are really able to shut your brain completely down. This is a skill, no doubt there.

Sometimes they manage to mask nonsense with 'splosions, doesn't work so good for books.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:31 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

dscott8 wrote:One big Hollywood Stupid: Mamma Mia 2.

The first movie was a painful attempt to build a convoluted, unlikely paternity plot just to hang ABBA songs on it. It was painful to watch, even for my wife (a huge ABBA fan). Because so many ABBA fans paid real money to see it, they're going back to the well. I expect it to be so bad that it will even spoil the first movie for those who liked it.

Plus, Pierce Brosnan will once again mumble and growl his way though a song. Yeesh.

Ironically, the second one is better than the first. Brosnan only gets a few singing lines. One problem with the first movie was that they wanted stars and didn't care how well they sang.

In the sequel, the new singers all could sing. Lily James as the young Donna was great and the others at least could carry a tune.

Now it was still pretty dumb as far as plots went but most critics lost it as Waterloo.
Post by jtg452   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:51 pm

jtg452
Captain of the List

vovchara wrote:
jtg452 wrote:Suspension of disbelief comes in really handy. I use it any time I read sci-fi, most fiction or have to listen to Leftists speak.

Suspension of disbelief is an essential part of the fiction. This why "Hollywood stupid" is such a bad thing because it destroys it.

Unless you are really able to shut your brain completely down. This is a skill, no doubt there.

Sometimes they manage to mask nonsense with 'splosions, doesn't work so good for books.

More along the lines of sighing, muttering, 'Bless their hearts,' under my breath and letting it go on by me is usually enough. Really bad ones get a head shake of exasperation, too, especially if they are dealing with a genre where they should know better.

It takes a LOT to bother me now. Of course, I did develop the skill watching '80's action flicks where reality and simple physics don't apply.
Post by Annachie   » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:52 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Then again, sometimes Hollywood Stupid isn't.

Who remembers Bat Shark Repellant Spray?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Free-Range Topics...