Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: EXTRY! EXTRY! IMPEACHMENT IMMINENT!
Post by Eyal   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 pm

Eyal
Captain (Junior Grade)

gcomeau wrote:
Eyal wrote:To be fair, US presidents have, in the past, meddled in Israeli elections to some extent or another via diplomatic means.

Sure, but there's a gaping chasm if a difference between expressing a public opinion about an election occurring in another country that the current ruling party doesn't like... and directing your military intelligence officers to launch a cyber warfare campaign with the aim of altering the outcome of the election while you clandestinely set up meetings with the opposition party you are supporting offering them illegal assistance and bringing up things like their sanctions policy towards your country in the process.

Less a 'gaping chasm' really and more like the Grand Canyon. The former may be considered undiplomatic, the latter is an outright assault and can be entirely reasonably characterized as an act of war.

Agreed
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Eyal wrote:
gcomeau wrote:
Oh do tell, this should be hilarious.

I'm going to guess we're about to hear a crazy rant about how one Israeli group got a small State Department grant to support Israel/Palestinian peace negotiation efforts but then improperly spent money from the grant politically lobbying in the election.

Which is an oopsie, as opposed to Russian MILITARY INTELLIGENCE operating UNDER ORDERS FROM PUTIN launching a WIDESPREAD CYBER WARFARE CAMPAIGN against the US elections you freaking twit.

<snip other disjointed rambling>

To be fair, US presidents have, in the past, meddled in Israeli elections to some extent or another via diplomatic means.
gcomeau wrote:Sure, but there's a gaping chasm if a difference between expressing a public opinion about an election occurring in another country that the current ruling party doesn't like... and directing your military intelligence officers to launch a cyber warfare campaign with the aim of altering the outcome of the election while you clandestinely set up meetings with the opposition party you are supporting offering them illegal assistance and bringing up things like their sanctions policy towards your country in the process.

Less a 'gaping chasm' really and more like the Grand Canyon. The former may be considered undiplomatic, the latter is an outright assault and can be entirely reasonably characterized as an act of war.

It certainly is an act of war. A direct, premeditated technological attack on democracy (and certainly by using American infrastructure) is an act of war. A blatant one at that. One of my Romanian friends brought that up in a conversation with my sister eons ago. And she isn't even American.

My sister immediately rang me asking "What the hell is wrong with us?"

I wish the heck I knew. I think certain Republicans are under some sort of Russian nanite compulsion. Or perhaps idiocy is its own brand of compulsion.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by smr   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:03 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

That attitude is kind of counter-productive. Seems to me that we should keep our friends close but our enemies even closer!

It certainly is an act of war. A direct, premeditated technological attack on democracy (and certainly by using American infrastructure) is an act of war. A blatant one at that. One of my Romanian friends brought that up in a conversation with my sister eons ago. And she isn't even American.

I wish the heck I knew. I think certain Republicans are under some sort of Russian nanite compulsion. Or perhaps idiocy is its own brand of compulsion.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:26 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dems unveil slate of measures to ratchet up pressure on Russia

Leading House Democrats on Thursday introduced a slate of proposals designed to thwart Russian election meddling and other acts of aggression aimed at the United States and its allies.

The legislation, an omnibus of nearly 20 bills aimed at subduing Russian hostility around the globe, comes just days after President Trump stunned Washington by siding with Russian President Vladimir Putin over his own intelligence agencies during a summit in Helsinki, Finland.

The new package, while having little chance of being considered under the Republican-controlled House, is designed to put pressure on GOP leaders to take some action to rein in Putin, who has rattled western leaders with Russia's annexation of Crimea; the ongoing effort to destabilize Ukraine; continued support for the Assad regime in Syria; and Moscow's interference in the 2016 elections, among other actions.

Democrats have long been critical of Trump's reluctance to challenge Moscow on those issues. And after his widely panned joint press conference with Putin on Monday, Democrats are hoping to amplify the message that if Trump won't confront Putin, Congress must.

"This bipartisan, comprehensive legislation will do what President Trump has repeatedly failed to do: hold Russia accountable, strengthen our election security and bolster our alliances," said House Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer (Md.), who put the package together.

"The American people expect us to adopt a bipartisan and unambiguous strategy to counter Russia's destabilizing activity."

Trump ignited a firestorm after Monday's closed-door meeting with Putin in Helsinki, when he suggested he trusted Putin's claim that Russia did not meddle in the 2016 elections.

The denial runs directly counter to the assessment of the U.S. intelligence community, which concluded not only that Russian operatives sought to meddle in the election, but they did so to give Trump an edge over his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton.

Trump has given a series of competing answers this week on his views about Russia's election meddling.

He attempted to walk-back his Helsinki comments on Tuesday, saying he simply misspoke. But he prompted further backlash on Wednesday by answering in the negative when asked if Russia still posed a threat to elections.

"President Trump does not seem to know where he stands," Rep. Jerrold Nadler (N.Y.), senior Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee, lamented Thursday.

"If we do not take any action, the American people may not trust the outcome of rhe next election."

The new legislation - dubbed the Secure America from Russian Interference Act - includes a host of proposals designed to pressure Moscow to cease its hostile actions towards other countries.

It features bills to disavow Russia's annexation of Crimea; monitor Putin's financial accounts; bolster transparency surrounding online political ads; and impose new sanctions on both Russian individuals and institutions in response to attacks on the Ukraine and Moscow's allegedly poisoning of four people in Britain.

The package also includes a proposal, sponsored by Rep. Maxine Waters (Calif.), the top Democrat on the Financial Services Committee, preventing Trump from waiving sanctions on technology exports that would help Russian oil companies drill in the Russian Arctic shelf, the Black Sea and Siberia.

"It is clear that the president should not have this authority," Waters said.

Some of the individual bills already have bipartisan support. Two Republicans - Reps. Walter Jones (N.C.) and Elise Stefanik (N.Y.) - have endorsed the entire package.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who was critical of Trump's comments in Helsinki, said this week that he's open to new sanctions on Russia in the wake of the Putin summit. But the idea has not been widely popular among the president's allies on Capitol Hill - particularly from the Republicans' conservative wing - and GOP leaders have shown little appetite for considering the Democrats' reform ideas.

Indeed, just before Hoyer unveiled the Russia package on Thursday, House Republicans blocked an amendment, offered by Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.), to add $380 million to funding for election security grants.

"It seems that Putin is Trump's puppeteer, and that House Republicans have decided to join the charade," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said after the vote.

The Democrats are also raising alarms over Russian claims, made through an ambassador Wednesday, that Trump and Putin had solidified several "verbal agreements" during Monday's closed-door meeting, and that Moscow is in the process of implementing those unnamed pacts.

"We have no idea what agreements, if any, were reached," said Nadler. "To hear from the Russians now that there were agreements reached, and they won't tell us what those agreements were, is beyond imagination."

Oh my word. Will somebody grow a pair already and say it...

There is a very good chance that the meeting behind closed doors was to discuss the future strategy of containment and to secure further help during the next election. And to discuss the obvious business deals under the table. And of course - like actually shaking hands - two comrades have to actually scratch each other's back.

It's as if Putin has Trump's balls in a vise, inside a glass jar on display in his office. Thumping them every now and again.

One has to wonder if Putin's attack on Clinton actually uncovered vital information on the dirt, and skeletons, in Trump's closet too.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:33 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

smr wrote:That attitude is kind of counter-productive. Seems to me that we should keep our friends close but our enemies even closer!

I take it you can't possibly conceive of any measures short of that that we could do to save democracy, which is its own death.

Post by smr   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:24 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Agreed!

Threatening war should always be a last resort!
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

The new revelations emanating from The Cohen Tapes remind you of anything?
Richard M. Nixon wrote:Tapes? I know nothing of tapes.

Save your own ass Cohen! Save your own ass!

Post by smr   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Do you know how many affairs he's had? Many...he's no choir boy.

Notice he never denied Stormy Daniels, but of course he's taken her to court about violating the agreement. He's a ruthless son of gun in that respect. Why do you think that most women have taken the money and not spoken. Would you like for your entire life be displayed before the world.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

"The president has strongly, clearly and has consistently denied" allegations of sexual liaison, White House spokesman Raj Shah said.

"The president doesn't believe any of the claims Ms Daniels made in the (60 minutes) interview last night were accurate," Shah said
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:53 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

smr wrote: He's a ruthless son of gun in that respect.

Which makes you wonder what the Russians have on him that would actually worry him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)

Return to Politics