Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by Dauntless   » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:22 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

Honor did offer to testify but she was brand new Ensign, a very competent one but still only a ensign with a still limited idea of the costs to being Master/Mistress after god of a ship.

if it had been wartime the board might have viewed things a little different. after all up until the incident he had an excellent rep, like Honour he was well thought of by Coursvier and others of a similar mindset, i.e. the fighting navy as opposed to the political cretins navy.

Bachfish's sin was the sin of overconfidence, understandable given most of the pirates in Silesa. I sometimes wonder if he was hammered harder as a point to other captains that even silesa can be dangerous.

the screw up with the havenite destroyer is slightly more forgiveable. Pirates bane was an armed aux but still basically a merchie, so at a serious disadvantage against any real warship even a DD.
Post by BrightSoul   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

I could see Bachfish getting a post in Naval Intelligence. Perhaps G-2 for Sarnow?
Post by Fox2!   » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:39 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

cthia wrote:
She was very upset that he was being drummed out of the navy.

IIRC, Bachfish was relieved of his command, and not offered another assignment. At least, he didn't accept an assignment if he was offered one. Note that there is no textev that he was offered another assignment, even to a staff position. He was not actually "drummed out" of the RMN.
Post by ywing14   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:14 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:Honor did offer to testify but she was brand new Ensign, a very competent one but still only a ensign with a still limited idea of the costs to being Master/Mistress after god of a ship.

if it had been wartime the board might have viewed things a little different. after all up until the incident he had an excellent rep, like Honour he was well thought of by Coursvier and others of a similar mindset, i.e. the fighting navy as opposed to the political cretins navy.

Bachfish's sin was the sin of overconfidence, understandable given most of the pirates in Silesa. I sometimes wonder if he was hammered harder as a point to other captains that even silesa can be dangerous.

the screw up with the havenite destroyer is slightly more forgiveable. Pirates bane was an armed aux but still basically a merchie, so at a serious disadvantage against any real warship even a DD.

I don't really think you can call what happened with the RoH destroyer a screw up. Unless he was prepared to commit an act of war he couldn't really have fired first. They were both getting into pretty muddy waters when they they told each other to heave to.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:29 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fox2! wrote:
cthia wrote:
She was very upset that he was being drummed out of the navy.

IIRC, Bachfish was relieved of his command, and not offered another assignment. At least, he didn't accept an assignment if he was offered one. Note that there is no textev that he was offered another assignment, even to a staff position. He was not actually "drummed out" of the RMN.

I was referring to the intimate moment when he sought Honor's ship out to share some "privileged information" with her. Honor wasn't simply an Ensign then, but she was the sweetheart of the RMN and GSN. IIRC, Honor then offered to "grease the road back" for him.

In fact, as I recall, they jokingly discussed her rank. IINM, she was at least a Captain.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
I don't really think you can call what happened with the RoH destroyer a screw up. Unless he was prepared to commit an act of war he couldn't really have fired first. They were both getting into pretty muddy waters when they they told each other to heave to.

point. screw up probably was a bit harsh.
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Dauntless wrote:Honor did offer to testify but she was brand new Ensign, a very competent one but still only a ensign with a still limited idea of the costs to being Master/Mistress after god of a ship.

ywing14 wrote:I don't really think you can call what happened with the RoH destroyer a screw up. Unless he was prepared to commit an act of war he couldn't really have fired first. They were both getting into pretty muddy waters when they they told each other to heave to.

As Pirates Bane was a registerd Silesian Navy Auxilary and they were in Silesian claimed space, I believe Bachfish had every right to demand the Haven DD heave to.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Of course her own parents are RSVP'd. Is there any other family of Honor's alive that would be invited?

This is shaping up to be some shin dig. Can you imagine so many personalities meeting in such a relaxed atmosphere? Every coat closet will be occupied. Sooner than later. Poor Stacy, men will be buzzing around her like flies.

Abigail will probably fire her armsmen. "I'm gonna let my hair down tonight."

And Abby's got lots of hair to let loose.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:02 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Of course her own parents are RSVP'd. Is there any other family of Honor's alive that would be invited?

This is shaping up to be some shin dig. Can you imagine so many personalities meeting in such a relaxed atmosphere? Every coat closet will be occupied. Sooner than later. Poor Stacy, men will be buzzing around her like flies.

Abigail will probably fire her armsmen. "I'm gonna let my hair down tonight."

And Abby's got lots of hair to let loose.

Abby already has her self sorted. of course you will have to wait until october to find out who.
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:25 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:

ywing14 wrote:I don't really think you can call what happened with the RoH destroyer a screw up. Unless he was prepared to commit an act of war he couldn't really have fired first. They were both getting into pretty muddy waters when they they told each other to heave to.

As Pirates Bane was a registerd Silesian Navy Auxilary and they were in Silesian claimed space, I believe Bachfish had every right to demand the Haven DD heave to.

He was not convicted at court martial but would not get any more Manticoran commands. Based on time served, he moved up the list. Actually, that always seemed more of a British thing than from Manticore but RFC borrowed a lot from the Royal Navy.

He became an intelligence officer commanding a single ship. He would never get a command where he led a group of ships. Remember, he got smashed up in his early fight and later he also got greatly damaged.

Return to Honorverse