Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 44 guests

Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honor's Inner Circle: RSVP?
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:08 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:Additions to the list not mentioned yet: The two officers from Hawkwing and the raid on Casimir, plus the Grayson contingent: Benjamin & Michael Mayhew, probably their wives, and a Clinksdale or two. Brent Matthews and Judah Yanakov. Alfredo Yu for certain.

Matsuko would be another add, as would Cathy Montaigne... which probably brings in the Rogue of the Spaceways and maybe even Black Victor. More fun if Thandi Palane and Honor ever agree to a bit of a sparring match, though alas, Honor being a mommy and all... ;)

Your notables are notable. I can't remember which, but didn't Honor agree to adopt a family on Grayson? Some vow she said that seals the two family's fates? Which you just know may come up again. Anyhow, anyone remember the family?

It's funny if you consider that this event would probably be held on Grayson. And the entire Protector's Own would be invited.

Don't know if it's prudent to invite Cathy. She'd just be going around stirring up hornets in the nest. Next thing you know, the Protector's Own is speeding away from the planet. LOL

As far as the sparring match of centuries, it may not be advisable on Thandi's behalf. Oh, she'd kick Honor's butt of course. It's just that she'd send Harrington's heiny flying so many times that it'd piss Honor off. Then she'd undo the restrictions on her bionic arm, then... BAM! LOL
George J. Smith wrote:It was the Clinksdale family

Thanks George. I thought it was the Clinkscales family, but it seemed too obvious.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by jchilds   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

IIRC the Clinkscales and LaFollet families are both sept to the Harringtons.
Post by Vince   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:19 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

jchilds wrote:IIRC the Clinkscales and LaFollet families are both sept to the Harringtons.

The Clinkscales are sept to the Harringtons, but no mention of the LaFollet family being sept to the Harrington family exists in the books published as of now. (Uncompromising Honor is yet to be published as of the time of this post. I haven't read the EARC.)
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Dauntless   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:59 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

no text ev for Lafollet adoption.

though as 3 of the clan worked for either honor or alison and Miranda was the first grayson adopted of a 'cat then the public adoption of the lafollets is likely just a formality.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Dauntless wrote:no text ev for Lafollet adoption.

though as 3 of the clan worked for either honor or alison and Miranda was the first grayson adopted of a 'cat then the public adoption of the lafollets is likely just a formality.

Can't put my finger on it, but now that it's mentioned, I seem to recall something regarding LaFollet's family too.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by ldwechsler   » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:
Dauntless wrote:no text ev for Lafollet adoption.

Can't put my finger on it, but now that it's mentioned, I seem to recall something regarding LaFollet's family too.

I don't believe anything like that happened. When Andrew died, things were sort of crazy and Honor was on Manticore. Could happen later but I don't think it happened as of the current point (and I did read the eArc).
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:
He is definitely well connected and can surely get his foot back in the door via the GSN if he wanted too. This discussion leads me to believe that his beaching is more "self-imposed" now. Since the High Ridge government itself has been permanently beached against the rocks.

I remember something about still being entitled to wear the uniform but the particulars fail me. It came up with Hamish. I ask because I wonder whether Bachfisch wears his uniform aboard his ship.

This is probably doubly so with the gutting of the Pirate's Bane; another nearly lost ship because of a bad tactical decision of his.

The again, perhaps it will be the kick he needs to get out of the captain's chair. Chances are no one will give him a line command, but that doesn't mean he cannot serve a useful staff position, especially in his area of specialty - Silesia.

Why wouldn't anyone give him a line command, in time? Isn't he at least equal to a military reserve force?

Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

I think that was no line command at this point, maybe in future when he he has the experience to do the job.

as others have said before he has no military experience beyond the rank of captain, yet is ranked a full admiral, expected to be able to command task forces or fleets and he just has not had the postings required to learn it.

even on the civ side he commanded less then half a squadron, and that assumes his ships often worked together.

he also is VERY rusty.

now before you bring it up, yes Honor went from commanded of a single ship to command of most of the Grayson fleet but there a couple of differences.

1) Honor was flag Captain to one of the RMN's best junior admirals and at several points in exercises was given commanded of the squadron and screen.
2) Honor was officially only in command of BatSqdOne, only the fact that Honor is such a gifted tactician and that grayson had little idea of modern combat made it at all workable.

so in summary. Yes he could have a line commaned once he's gotten the rust blown off but it would probably be at most squadron command until he's shown that he can do more. in the mean time he has lots of local knowledge which will be off great help to Sarnow
Post by ldwechsler   » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:38 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

Dauntless wrote:I think that was no line command at this point, maybe in future when he he has the experience to do the job.

as others have said before he has no military experience beyond the rank of captain, yet is ranked a full admiral, expected to be able to command task forces or fleets and he just has not had the postings required to learn it.

even on the civ side he commanded less then half a squadron, and that assumes his ships often worked together.

he also is VERY rusty.

now before you bring it up, yes Honor went from commanded of a single ship to command of most of the Grayson fleet but there a couple of differences.

1) Honor was flag Captain to one of the RMN's best junior admirals and at several points in exercises was given commanded of the squadron and screen.
2) Honor was officially only in command of BatSqdOne, only the fact that Honor is such a gifted tactician and that grayson had little idea of modern combat made it at all workable.

so in summary. Yes he could have a line commaned once he's gotten the rust blown off but it would probably be at most squadron command until he's shown that he can do more. in the mean time he has lots of local knowledge which will be off great help to Sarnow

Chances are he's really not able any more to lead groups of ships. He is not a brilliant tactician. Honor saved him back when she was a middie and then he got clobbered again later.

He would likely not have an assignment...except perhaps teaching.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

@Dauntless, ldwechsler. All fine points of course.

Here's the source of my disconnect:

Honor offered to save the 'Fisch's career. She was very upset that he was being drummed out of the navy. Why would she offer to salvage his career, and was so upset about it, if he wasn't worth the metal on his uniform? Honor wasn't in the habit of backing worthless officers who couldn't pull their own weight.

Albeit, istr as he turned her down flat, he may have accepted that his punishment was just. I'll have to look forward to a more intimate reread - whether he agreed that he had been incompetent, thus admitting he's not up to snuff. And if an admission, if it was rather due to guilt and he just needs a swift kick in the pants.

At any rate, RFC has admitted he's been far from inactive. So, perhaps we have a treat coming in the mail.

An aside: If it doesn't infract the spoiler law.

Since the League is defeated, are the junctions reopened for business? Full steam ahead?

Return to Honorverse