Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Andies and the GA possible spoiler

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Andies and the GA possible spoiler
Post by Sigs   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Point. How much access to cutting edge US materiel?

Same as anyone else?
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 pm

saber964
Admiral

pappilon wrote:
Fox2! wrote:[ uote="pappilon"]

They are allies, just as Barregos et cie are allies. They are just not formal members of the GA.

Canada, Israel, Austrailia are allies of the USA even though they are not members of NATO. Which brings us to Turkey which is both a dubious ally and a member of NATO.

Canada is a member of NATO, as well as NORAD.

Point. How much access to cutting edge US materiel?[/quote]

It depends on the current stupidity of the Canadian government. The U.S. offered them the F-35 to replace the aging CF-18 but Canada is trying to buy 25-30 year old RAAF F/A-18A/B Hornets. The U.S. has also offered F/A-18E/F Super Hornet but like said earlier.
Post by pappilon   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:55 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

saber964 wrote:
It depends on the current stupidity of the Canadian government. The U.S. offered them the F-35 to replace the aging CF-18 but Canada is trying to buy 25-30 year old RAAF F/A-18A/B Hornets. The U.S. has also offered F/A-18E/F Super Hornet but like said earlier.

So ... Their preferred trading partners are Commonwealth over NATO/NAFTA? Just wondering. My deceasd wife was Canadian, but we just never discussed this stuff.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Annachie   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:01 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Australia is buying F35's.

I'm not real sure we should be though.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by pappilon   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:01 pm

pappilon
Rear Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:--snipping--
Annachie wrote:How will the treecats affect the longevity and strength of the GA and the alignment with the Andies.

Because if it's in the cat's best interest, and I think it is, those alignments will be rock solid.

Great question! because while the treecats are telepathic with each other, they don't seem to be complete "mind readers". So, for example, if they met someone from Darius or even an MAlign mole, they might recognize "this person is corrupt/off and bears watching", but they might not directly see the why and who behind the corruption. Keep in mind that the agent on Torch seemed "off", not like a completely wide open book.

I think their contribution to true stability mighg be that the treecats will always be open to each other and loyal to their humans. With the ability to sign, that acts as a protection against duplicitous behaviors at the highest levels of the GA. No Caesars, but also no Brutus-style knives in the back. Thoughts?

As longas EP remains preident of RoH, no problems. Future administrations are a complete unknown. So, what happens if at the start of the new arc, things are not so rosy and the treecats assigned and (perhaps) adopted decide to stay in Haven Space?

Probably something for RFC to back gingerly away from. Not that anyone else here do the same.

Diaspora brings on interesting challenges for all sentient races, apparrently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The imagination has to be trained into foresight and empathy.
Ursula K. LeGuinn

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by jchilds   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:00 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

pappilon wrote:
saber964 wrote:

So ... Their preferred trading partners are Commonwealth over NATO/NAFTA? Just wondering. My deceasd wife was Canadian, but we just never discussed this stuff.

Canada's had a problem with military procurement policy/procedure for a while now, exacerbated by a change in government a couple of years ago. They want to sort it out before a number of purchases are finalized, I think.

The Super Hornet deal (to provide an interim solution between now and when the permanent CF-18 replacement procurement was sorted out) was killed when Boeing convinced Trump to impose 295% tariffs on Bombardier planes Boeing doesn't have a competitor for. The RAAF aircraft are a stopgap to replace that nixed deal.

Given we're a "national security risk" when it comes to steel and aluminum, approving F-35s for purchase by Canada now would seem ... odd.
Post by Daryl   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:57 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Economics come into it. Australia wasn't allowed to buy the F22, but they really want us to buy the F35. We do have a talent of getting kit, improving it and keeping it longer than the country of origin. Our F111s were formidable up to their retirement.
Now retired, I still can't say all but I was deeply involved in military helicopter purchase and support, during the time when we bought two Eurocopter fleets rather than US. Lots of good people worked analysing lots of stuff, and there were many reasons for those decisions, but one definitely was the core technology age of the platforms, allowing us a long service life.
Think of being offered a fully updated original model Pontiac GTO but with fuel injected quad cam motor and all mod coms, versus a Porshe 911 GT3.
Post by Annachie   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:00 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Personally, I put it down to being able to drop a squadron into a US formation with minimul fuss.
Not because they need the aussie planes, but for the politics.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by ywing14   » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:49 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I don't foresee Silesia being the reason for any conflict. They've actually dealt with that situation when they divided the region up. Additionally the Andies will be busy trying to incorporate their 20 worlds into the empire. They've more than doubled the empire in one fell swoop. Manticore just went for protectorates. I'm not saying it wouldn't be where any battles are fought just that it is no longer the bone of contention. I think a lot will be determined how things work out in the Verge.

SPOILER

I think one of the deciding factors of conflict for them will be how their security patrols go. If it helps them foster solid relationships they may be content. But since the war ended rather quickly I'm not sure how that'll play out.

Return to Honorverse