Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 35 guests

Next book fleet composition spoiler

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Next book fleet composition spoiler
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:25 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:
I know it wasn’t. That’s why I’m wondering what happened to it since it seems unlikely to me you’d maintain a base there when you’d just annexed the other planets in the region.

The base is well established and helps secure an ally as well as providing convenient support in the region. I would imagine that it gets more action than ever. It actually makes more sense than, say, an air force base in Rapid City, SD. :lol:

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Does the GA know enough to begin developing ships to deal with what's coming? Like a torpedo to lock onto any foreign emissions which may be emanating from a "stealthily cloaked" wessel? LOL

I know, I know. The honorverse ain't Star Trek. But the RMN has to begin to prepare for the menace that could hyper in at any time. Perhaps they can engineer ships that can interpose its wedge much quicker. shrug They can't just sit and wait for the shoe to drop as far as the navy is concerned.

Regarding the ability that the GA is working on to detect cloaked ships. Will that ability be exclusively limited to perhaps the home systems of the major players? IOW, it won't be an ability that the navy can take with them when hypering into enemy systems possibly occupied by stealthed ships?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:35 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
ywing14 wrote:
I know it wasn’t. That’s why I’m wondering what happened to it since it seems unlikely to me you’d maintain a base there when you’d just annexed the other planets in the region.

The base is well established and helps secure an ally as well as providing convenient support in the region. I would imagine that it gets more action than ever. It actually makes more sense than, say, an air force base in Rapid City, SD. :lol:

Don

Not to mention that the existing base has ironed out all the kinks and is running like a well oiled machine. It'll simply go on to become the oldest base in the region. Besides, as far as the military is concerned, everybody knows that actually closing a base is like shooting your mother. The military doesn't close bases, the bean counting government does.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:51 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

n7axw wrote:
ywing14 wrote:

Don
cthia wrote:Not to mention that the existing base has ironed out all the kinks and is running like a well oiled machine. It'll simply go on to become the oldest base in the region. Besides, as far as the military is concerned, everybody knows that actually closing a base is like shooting your mother. The military doesn't close bases, the bean counting government does.

Besides, maintaining the existing base provides an opportunity for mutual support during invasions.

Post by saber964   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:51 pm

saber964
Admiral

n7axw wrote:
ywing14 wrote:

Don

A lot of bases were put in places that defied imagination. Most were built as far back as the 1850's and continue operations today. Ft. Crook is now known as Offit AFB.
Post by n7axw   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:08 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

saber964 wrote:A lot of bases were put in places that defied imagination. Most were built as far back as the 1850's and continue operations today. Ft. Crook is now known as Offit AFB.

A lot of bases are no longer maintained for their military value. It has more to do with politics and local economics.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ldwechsler   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:32 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:
saber964 wrote:A lot of bases were put in places that defied imagination. Most were built as far back as the 1850's and continue operations today. Ft. Crook is now known as Offit AFB.

A lot of bases are no longer maintained for their military value. It has more to do with politics and local economics.

Don

-

Let us remember that Manticore now does have control of a sizable portion of Silesia.

Bases can be placed in reasonable places strategically.

As for quick change of alliances, remember that there are good reasons for ALL the members of the GA to worry over MAlign. Things will likely not change all that fast.
Post by kzt   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

ldwechsler wrote:As for quick change of alliances, remember that there are good reasons for ALL the members of the GA to worry over MAlign. Things will likely not change all that fast.

There were good reasons for France to be worried about the Red Army in the 1960s and 70s too.
Post by ywing14   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:23 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

kzt wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:As for quick change of alliances, remember that there are good reasons for ALL the members of the GA to worry over MAlign. Things will likely not change all that fast.

There were good reasons for France to be worried about the Red Army in the 1960s and 70s too.

Plenty of reasons to shut the base down. There are already support facilities in the confederacy, the base is close to the Andies so you remove a potential sore point, they've reduced the pirate problem with the annexation of the confederacy, with textev indicating a build down it seems like a good location to shut down, according to honor Marsh was ready to take care of any pirates that came its way, and frankly, the resources there will likely be useful in other locations now that the war is over.

I am not saying they did shut it down I'm just saying I can see the arguments both ways.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:29 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

kzt wrote:

Plenty of reasons to shut the base down. There are already support facilities in the confederacy, the base is close to the Andies so you remove a potential sore point, they've reduced the pirate problem with the annexation of the confederacy, with textev indicating a build down it seems like a good location to shut down, according to honor Marsh was ready to take care of any pirates that came its way, and frankly, the resources there will likely be useful in other locations now that the war is over.

I am not saying they did shut it down I'm just saying I can see the arguments both ways.[/quote]

The thing is we now know that RFC is getting ready to write another Victor/Anton novel. We can assume that will probably be one of two things.

A) As has been done in the past, a contemporary book with UH. Basically, a description of the collapse on Mesa and/or Earth.

OR

B) A book that follows the two men as they start working towards figuring out who the bad guys really are and where they are located. That could be a transition into the new arc.

That would change a lot of what we'd get on a new navy. We might not see any really new stuff at all. Or we could get a lot of new stuff. And I would guess we won't see the book at all until 2020.

Return to Honorverse