Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

Next book fleet composition spoiler

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Next book fleet composition spoiler
Post by TangoLima   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:42 pm

TangoLima
Captain (Junior Grade)

Some thoughts on GA fleet composition by the beginning of the next book.
I posit a strong core of waller's distributed in fleets and nodal task forces.
Due to the vast volume of space needing coverage, I believe a large expansion of CLACs and ships below the wall will be needed. With smaller crew sizes due to automation this could be 2 to 4 times the current number of ships not to mention couriers.
A return to maritime trade with the rest of the systems in humanities space will be a large contributing factor by way of the need for anti-piracy and convoy duties.
Re: Next book fleet composition spoiler
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:28 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

TangoLima wrote:Some thoughts on GA fleet composition by the beginning of the next book.
I posit a strong core of waller's distributed in fleets and nodal task forces.
Due to the vast volume of space needing coverage, I believe a large expansion of CLACs and ships below the wall will be needed. With smaller crew sizes due to automation this could be 2 to 4 times the current number of ships not to mention couriers.
A return to maritime trade with the rest of the systems in humanities space will be a large contributing factor by way of the need for anti-piracy and convoy duties.

I know you said GA so just to be clear you're talking RoH, GSN, and RMN? If that's what you're shooting for I'd go for somewhere around 50 Wallers for GSN, 300-400 for RMN, 600 for RoH. I think it's hard to speculate Beowulf and Hypatia added to the mix. Don't know if other worlds in the verge asked to be annexed, also don't know what worlds in Silesia are going to join formally. I wonder what happened to Marsh once the Andies and Manties split Silesia up.
Post by Weird Harold   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:30 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

ywing14 wrote:I know you said GA so just to be clear you're talking RoH, GSN, and RMN?

Plus the others known to be part of the GA: Beowulf, Torch, Erewhon, and MARS. Hypatia and a few former members of the Manticore Alliance from the first war are also probably members.

I've probably forgotten a few, but essentially everyone who was at Roger and Rivka's wedding except the Andermani were founding members of the GA.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:34 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
ywing14 wrote:I know you said GA so just to be clear you're talking RoH, GSN, and RMN?

Plus the others known to be part of the GA: Beowulf, Torch, Erewhon, and MARS. Hypatia and a few former members of the Manticore Alliance from the first war are also probably members.

I've probably forgotten a few, but essentially everyone who was at Roger and Rivka's wedding except the Andermani were founding members of the GA.

yeah, that's why I want to be specific and are we talking about component fleets?
Post by n7axw   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

The word spoiler is being abused here. It can only be applied to revelation of the actual story or portions of thereof.

It does not apply to our speculations.

What we are doing in this thread is speculating. It can hardly be otherwise since the book being referred to hasn't been written yet.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by kzt   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:05 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:Plus the others known to be part of the GA: Beowulf, Torch, Erewhon, and MARS. Hypatia and a few former members of the Manticore Alliance from the first war are also probably members.

20 Years is 1940 to 1960. IIRC, there were some rather significant changes in alliances, force structure and the assume primary foe over that time. Like the Russians went from Nazi allies and fellow invaders of Poland, to Nazi opponents and US allies, and then US opponents.
So this is approaches silliness. The odds are really good that at least one major power is going to decide their interests are best served by a different approach. And the more stuff you have shared and the deeper you trust them the more damage they will do when they decide to stop playing.
Post by ywing14   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Very true Kzt.
Post by Annachie   » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Since our base starting point is defined by events in UO, and that book is under spoiler conditions, I would have thought that the whole thread deserves a spoiler tag.

n7axw wrote:The word spoiler is being abused here. It can only be applied to revelation of the actual story or portions of thereof.

It does not apply to our speculations.

What we are doing in this thread is speculating. It can hardly be otherwise since the book being referred to hasn't been written yet.

Don

-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:47 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

ywing14 wrote: I wonder what happened to Marsh once the Andies and Manties split Silesia up.

Marsh was never part of the Silesian Confederation and remains an independent star system with a Manticoran fleet/repair base.
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by ywing14   » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:00 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

George J. Smith wrote:
ywing14 wrote: I wonder what happened to Marsh once the Andies and Manties split Silesia up.

Marsh was never part of the Silesian Confederation and remains an independent star system with a Manticoran fleet/repair base.

I know it wasn’t. That’s why I’m wondering what happened to it since it seems unlikely to me you’d maintain a base there when you’d just annexed the other planets in the region.

Return to Honorverse