Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Through Firey Trials. Safehold book 10 up for preorder
Post by Alistair   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Alistair
Rear Admiral

Randomiser wrote:MrZero, I get the impression that RFC didn't so much throw away those flashbacks as rewrite them in present time, i.e. the book went from one situated 16-20 years after the last one with lots of flashbacks to those years, to one that travels through those years letting us see the "flashback" events "as they happen".

Weather "flash backs" or "real time" I can't wait to see it!
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:38 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Wow...You guys are fast and better informed than I
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/076 ... r_ea_image

Note to Marketing... I got my copy of OAR as a Christmas present.

Of course... I just pre-ordered and cross my fingers that the Kindle version will be at reduced price when the hard bound is purchased... I did not see that information today.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:14 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

Randomiser wrote:
Thanks. Bearing in mind all the usual caveats about cover art, those dangling baskets at least suggest the artist read the last book. Also the left-most "aircraft" appears to have propellers at each side of the gondola, suggesting that it has engines and is steerable. Let battle recommence as to which type of engine :evil:

They are pretty weird hybrids between observation balloons and non-rigid airships. Basically they just indicate that artist are banned from google and absolutely clueless how airships actually worked. Those... contraptions literally have no rudders, so they could not be steered, their inflatable stabilizers are so freakingly big, that enormous amount of engine powers are wasted on drag, and they have observation gondolas dangling below the control cabin of 1930s type.

Also, their position in air clearly indicate that they are towed barrage balloons, not airships.

In short: VERY BAD ARTISTIC REPRESENTATION.

P.S. Inflatable stabilizers were used on World War I era French and Italian airships, but they look different:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_hVOW2 ... rter4t.jpg
------------------------------

Oh well, if shortening the front is what the Germans crave,
Let's shorten it to very end - the length of Fuhrer's grave.

(Red Army lyrics from 1945)
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Dilandu wrote:
Randomiser wrote:
Thanks. Bearing in mind all the usual caveats about cover art, those dangling baskets at least suggest the artist read the last book. Also the left-most "aircraft" appears to have propellers at each side of the gondola, suggesting that it has engines and is steerable. Let battle recommence as to which type of engine :evil:

They are pretty weird hybrids between observation balloons and non-rigid airships. Basically they just indicate that artist are banned from google and absolutely clueless how airships actually worked. Those... contraptions literally have no rudders, so they could not be steered, their inflatable stabilizers are so freakingly big, that enormous amount of engine powers are wasted on drag, and they have observation gondolas dangling below the control cabin of 1930s type.

Also, their position in air clearly indicate that they are towed barrage balloons, not airships.

In short: VERY BAD ARTISTIC REPRESENTATION.

P.S. Inflatable stabilizers were used on World War I era French and Italian airships, but they look different:

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_hVOW2 ... rter4t.jpg

Be nice to the poor artist, Dilandu! Man, you pick on everybody, don't you? :lol:

They had to commission the cover before they had the book. I told them to think more zeppelin than blimp, but I also made the mistake of saying that the pinitial airships were more blimp-like than zeppelin-like. And, for that matter, the artist couldn't have the actual physical description because he didn't have the manuscript. Not saying that's a complete excuse, just explaining the circumstances.

And I do have to say that for the uninitiated -- i.e., not the OCD historical types such as thyself and myself --- it conveys the feel of at least a portion of the book pretty well.

So stifle yourself! :lol: :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:34 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:

Be nice to the poor artist, Dilandu! Man, you pick on everybody, don't you? :lol:

They had to commission the cover before they had the book. I told them to think more zeppelin than blimp, but I also made the mistake of saying that the pinitial airships were more blimp-like than zeppelin-like. And, for that matter, the artist couldn't have the actual physical description because he didn't have the manuscript. Not saying that's a complete excuse, just explaining the circumstances.

And I do have to say that for the uninitiated -- i.e., not the OCD historical types such as thyself and myself --- it conveys the feel of at least a portion of the book pretty well.

As someone who has pre-ordered "Through Firey Trials" and "Uncompromising Honor"

Any chance we might see a snippet or three before release
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by Dauntless   » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:31 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

snippet 1 is up
Post by Dilandu   » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:50 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

Oh please! I hadn't picked on anything much here recently! A bit more, and I'll start to lose my poison! :D

Actually, I'm grumbling generally because I have a soft spot for airships, and quite recently finished a story about Great War era airship actions. So, I'm literally filled with a lot of such data and could easily spot such inaccuracies.

(P.S. And also because I have an old grunge with cover art mistakes... there was a period in Russian fiction publications where nearly all cover art was horrible).

Post by runsforcelery   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:00 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

Dilandu wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:

Oh please! I hadn't picked on anything much here recently! A bit more, and I'll start to lose my poison! :D

Actually, I'm grumbling generally because I have a soft spot for airships, and quite recently finished a story about Great War era airship actions. So, I'm literally filled with a lot of such data and could easily spot such inaccuracies.

(P.S. And also because I have an old grunge with cover art mistakes... there was a period in Russian fiction publications where nearly all cover art was horrible).

And you think bad cover art was a purely Russian phenomenon because . . . . ? :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Dilandu   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 pm

Dilandu
Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:
And you think bad cover art was a purely Russian phenomenon because . . . . ? :lol:

Please. Do I look so naive? :D

Post by Direwolf18   » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Scifi novels have notoriously bad cover art. Actually this series as a whole has been pretty solid all said and done, for the most part there are actual scenes from the novels on the cover... Sort of...

Return to Safehold