Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

SPOILER end of the MA

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: SPOILER end of the MA
Post by Sigs   » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Sigs
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:
I'm sure that there will be trust issues outside the Core worlds in the Shell and the Verge. But for the Core, probably not so much. After all the system was rigged in their favor and they were pretty insulated from reality.

Don

-

They were pretty insulated but with the actions of the Mandarins I doubt they are any longer. Suddenly people will be asking if the SLN and the League government can do or attempt what came pretty close to an EE violation on core systems and close allies imagine what they did to the verge and protectorates with no-one watching or caring?

It would be a scenario like Nazi Germany, many of the civilians might have known or heard about the concentration camps, but once the evidence came pouring in they were repulsed by the action of their government in the name of their nation.

The new League government if it starts off free of corruption and trying to get back to the League core values might use the actions of the League in the Verge and Protectorates as a means to strengthen democracy and prevent such atrocities in the future... or they might try to forget the whole thing happened which would be pretty hard when the video's an evidence starts flooding in from the actions of Frontier Fleet and the Gendarmerie like those of Yucel in Mobius amongst other places.
Post by ywing14   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:03 am

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Sigs wrote:
ldwechsler wrote:
Chances are, if the new government has any real wisdom (few governments anywhere really do) it will use the FF on piracy patrols and work out a lot of deals where protectorates are really protectorates and not more or less slaves.

If they come up with some reasonable amount of fairness and some protection, there will be planets who will not have problems with the League.

It might be decades if not centuries before anyone trusts the League in any form with protectorates. They would have to prove that they have changed and for most people it would with prolong be a very long time before they soften up to the idea... or they have to be very desperate. Plus the core and shell worlds that remain with the League might not have the stomach for it, it would likely become common knowledge within the league shortly what the conditions were in the verge/protectorates and it would be hard to hide from the truth. And by common knowledge I mean it will be everywhere and it would be hard for anyone to stick their head in the sand and ignore that portion of League history.

I think you're right about centuries because of prolong many people will be alive for a long time with direct memories of what occurred at the hands of OFS.
Post by Dauntless   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

lots of the OFS client states people were kept so poor that prolong wasn't easily available. so could well be that the "bad old days" are forgotten more quickly then you might think.
Post by saber964   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am

saber964
Admiral

Sigs wrote:
Annachie wrote:The LACS are damn near everything you need for regular anti piracy work. Only weakness is perhaps a lack of marines for boarding.

Or a non Hyper capable 40,000 ton ship with a Marine Platoon on board. Backed up by regular LAC's and you have a winning combination for anti piracy defence.

All you need is a LAC support ship similar to the Trojan class.
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Sigs wrote:
Annachie wrote:The LACS are damn near everything you need for regular anti piracy work. Only weakness is perhaps a lack of marines for boarding.

Or a non Hyper capable 40,000 ton ship with a Marine Platoon on board. Backed up by regular LAC's and you have a winning combination for anti piracy defence.

I always thought The RMN should have created a "Patrol LAC" in the Shrike family. Take the Shrike A with the boarding cutter and bay, Replace the BC spinal Graser with a CA Graser or CA/BC Laser, and dedicate the extra cubage for adding a marine squad and giving a little extra living space for the crew for longer system patrols. Either field in full squadrons, or add to Shrike B squadrons as the 6th slot.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:03 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:I always thought The RMN should have created a "Patrol LAC" in the Shrike family. Take the Shrike A with the boarding cutter and bay, ...

Perhaps a Ferret would make a better starting point for a Patrol LAC? It's already done away with the spinal energy mount; replace some of the extra missiles and/or ECM gear to make space for marines or extra supplies.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Theemile   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Theemile wrote:I always thought The RMN should have created a "Patrol LAC" in the Shrike family. Take the Shrike A with the boarding cutter and bay, ...

Perhaps a Ferret would make a better starting point for a Patrol LAC? It's already done away with the spinal energy mount; replace some of the extra missiles and/or ECM gear to make space for marines or extra supplies.

I always thought it should have a decent energy weapon of it's own - but that's just a tactical doctrine issue.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by n7axw   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:37 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

LACs are pretty small for what you guys seem to be envisioning... How much crew? Less than a dozen, certainly...Perhaps only a half dozen. I don't know. They are a lot more suitable for blowing a pirate out of space than boarding one.

LACs could work in tandem with their carrier which could carry the marines if a boarding action needed to take place... do that with pinnaces rather than LACs.

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by ldwechsler   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 pm

ldwechsler
Rear Admiral

n7axw wrote:LACs are pretty small for what you guys seem to be envisioning... How much crew? Less than a dozen, certainly...Perhaps only a half dozen. I don't know. They are a lot more suitable for blowing a pirate out of space than boarding one.

LACs could work in tandem with their carrier which could carry the marines if a boarding action needed to take place... do that with pinnaces rather than LACs.

Don

-

Correct. There are ten crew members in the LACs. All reasonably have jobs on board. Why would they have them if they weren't doing much? No marines.

They need marines or they need enough LACs to herd pirate ships into port.
Post by ywing14   » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:45 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

Dauntless wrote:lots of the OFS client states people were kept so poor that prolong wasn't easily available. so could well be that the "bad old days" are forgotten more quickly then you might think.

Maybe, though I am sure most planets goals will be to distribute it right away. I think we don't really know how well the most of the client states are going to respond. I am sure they had the Transtellars technology there the issue was how much they were charged for things and who they had to go through. With OFS gone, things will like be cheaper and much easier to acquire.

Return to Honorverse