Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 25 guests

Athens of the Stars: a fanmix for the republic

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Athens of the Stars: a fanmix for the republic
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:50 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Athens of the Stars
a fanmix for the republic

1. Fallen ~ Sarah McLachlan
Heaven bend to take my hand
Nowhere left to turn
I'm lost to those I thought were friends
To everyone I know
Oh they turn their heads embarrassed
Pretend that they don't see
But it's one missed step
One slip before you know it
And there doesn't seem a way to be redeemed...

2. God Help the Outcasts ~ Bette Midler
God help the outcasts, the tattered and torn
Seeking an answer to why they were born
Winds of misfortune have blown them about
You made the outcasts - don't cast them out...

3. Elegy for Dunkirk ~ Dario Marianelli
Breathe through the heats of our desire
Thy coolness and thy balm;
Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;
Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
O still small voice of calm!

4. Crash and Burn ~ Lifehouse
Silence just keeps screaming back at me
The ones I love are lost in memories
And I wish that I could take back what was done
You can only change the person you've become...

5. Fix You ~ Coldplay
Tears stream down your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
And I...
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you...

6. Shattered ~ Trading Yesterday
Let me go and I will run, I will not be silent
All this time spent in vain, wasted years, wasted gain
All is lost, hope remains, and this war's not over
There's a light, there's the sun, taking all shattered ones
To the place we belong, and his love will conquer all...

7. Battlecry ~ Skillet
Let it rise like a prayer in the night
Shout for love, shout for hope, let them hear us
I believe we can’t lose, even mountains will move
It’s our faith, it’s our life, this is our battle cry
They can’t take us down if we stand our ground
If we live, if we die, we will shout out
Our battle cry!

8. À la Volonté du Peuple ~ Les Misérables
À la volonté du peuple
Je fais don de ma volonté
S’il faut mourir pour elle
Moi, je veux être le premier
Le premier nom gravé au marbre
Du monument d’espoir!

9. Diaspora Oratorio ~ Bear McCreary
(instrumental)

10. Heart of Courage ~ Two Steps From Hell
(instrumental)

11. For Such A Time As This ~ JAC Redford
(instrumental)

12. Homeland ~ Hans Zimmer
(instrumental)

DOWNLOAD HERE

Mixer's Notes:

This fanmix has been in conception for... a long time. A long, long, long time.

It's no secret that I love the Republic of Haven. Perhaps in some way I see, reflected back at me, my own tortuous, volatile, bittersweet relationship with the country of my birth... and with that reflection, I see hope. And because of that, my heart is Haven's. Now and always. That "drunk-rolling whore," the star nation who thrashed its death throes only to be reborn from hope and love and far too much blood, is in its broken imperfection the greatest beacon of hope in the Honorverse. Because if Haven can be saved, after two long, painful centuries of sliding down the path to oblivion, what cannot?

From the ashes, we will rise.

And so this fanmix is a reflection of Her journey. From darkness and despair to hope and triumph and light, this stands for all those who gave their lives that their nation might live.

It is for Alfredo Yu and Warner Caslet, whose greatest act of patriotism will forever be called 'treason'.

It is for Robert Stanton Pierre and Oscar Saint-Just, who found themselves trapped on a collision course they could not avoid, never knowing that their mistakes paved the way to their nation's rebirth.

It is for Joanna Hall and all those like her, who did everything they could to serve the nation they loved even as that very nation fettered them almost to the point of breaking.

It is for Oliver Diamato, Jennifer Bellefeuille, Sabrina Longmont, and Shannon Foraker, who proved again and again that the hope of Haven was those who clung to honor before reason, because they are Haven's heart.

It is for Javier Giscard, Lester Tourville, Denis LePic, and Everard Honeker, who forever shaped what the nation they loved would become for all its future days.

And it is for Thomas Theisman and Eloise Pritchart, the pillars of the nation they saved, who surrendered themselves utterly to the revolution Haven so badly needed, bringing at last the dawn of the new Republic.

This is for the Athens of the Stars.

Do you hear the people sing, lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light
For the wretched of the earth, there is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise....!

Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade, is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that we bring when tomorrow comes!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Re: Athens of the Stars: a fanmix for the republic
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Athens of the Stars
a fanmix for the republic

1. Fallen ~ Sarah McLachlan
Heaven bend to take my hand
Nowhere left to turn
I'm lost to those I thought were friends
To everyone I know
Oh they turn their heads embarrassed
Pretend that they don't see
But it's one missed step
One slip before you know it
And there doesn't seem a way to be redeemed...

2. God Help the Outcasts ~ Bette Midler
God help the outcasts, the tattered and torn
Seeking an answer to why they were born
Winds of misfortune have blown them about
You made the outcasts - don't cast them out...

3. Elegy for Dunkirk ~ Dario Marianelli
Breathe through the heats of our desire
Thy coolness and thy balm;
Let sense be dumb, let flesh retire;
Speak through the earthquake, wind, and fire,
O still small voice of calm!

4. Crash and Burn ~ Lifehouse
Silence just keeps screaming back at me
The ones I love are lost in memories
And I wish that I could take back what was done
You can only change the person you've become...

5. Fix You ~ Coldplay
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
And I...
Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you...

6. Shattered ~ Trading Yesterday
Let me go and I will run, I will not be silent
All this time spent in vain, wasted years, wasted gain
All is lost, hope remains, and this war's not over
There's a light, there's the sun, taking all shattered ones
To the place we belong, and his love will conquer all...

7. Battlecry ~ Skillet
Let it rise like a prayer in the night
Shout for love, shout for hope, let them hear us
I believe we can’t lose, even mountains will move
It’s our faith, it’s our life, this is our battle cry
They can’t take us down if we stand our ground
If we live, if we die, we will shout out
Our battle cry!

À la volonté du peuple
Je fais don de ma volonté
S’il faut mourir pour elle
Moi, je veux être le premier
Le premier nom gravé au marbre
Du monument d’espoir!

(instrumental)

(instrumental)

(instrumental)

12. Homeland ~ Hans Zimmer
(instrumental)

DOWNLOAD HERE

Mixer's Notes:

This fanmix has been in conception for... a long time. A long, long, long time.

It's no secret that I love the Republic of Haven. Perhaps in some way I see, reflected back at me, my own tortuous, volatile, bittersweet relationship with the country of my birth... and with that reflection, I see hope. And because of that, my heart is Haven's. Now and always. That "drunk-rolling whore," the star nation who thrashed its death throes only to be reborn from hope and love and far too much blood, is in its broken imperfection the greatest beacon of hope in the Honorverse. Because if Haven can be saved, after two long, painful centuries of sliding down the path to oblivion, what cannot?

From the ashes, we will rise.

And so this fanmix is a reflection of Her journey. From darkness and despair to hope and triumph and light, this stands for all those who gave their lives that their nation might live.

It is for Alfredo Yu and Warner Caslet, whose greatest act of patriotism will forever be called 'treason'.

It is for Robert Stanton Pierre and Oscar Saint-Just, who found themselves trapped on a collision course they could not avoid, never knowing that their mistakes paved the way to their nation's rebirth.

It is for Joanna Hall and all those like her, who did everything they could to serve the nation they loved even as that very nation fettered them almost to the point of breaking.

It is for Oliver Diamato, Jennifer Bellefeuille, Sabrina Longmont, and Shannon Foraker, who proved again and again that the hope of Haven was those who clung to honor before reason, because they are Haven's heart.

It is for Javier Giscard, Lester Tourville, Denis LePic, and Everard Honeker, who forever shaped what the nation they loved would become for all its future days.

And it is for Thomas Theisman and Eloise Pritchart, the pillars of the nation they saved, who surrendered themselves utterly to the revolution Haven so badly needed, bringing at last the dawn of the new Republic.

This is for the Athens of the Stars.

Do you hear the people sing, lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people who are climbing to the light
For the wretched of the earth, there is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise....!

Will you join in our crusade? Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade, is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing? Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that we bring when tomorrow comes!

I love the playlist Rose. You did indeed take your bitter sweet time to compile this list as the ponderance of the evidence shows. I prefer the videos though. But thanks for the convenient download.

I hope you don't mind...

1. Fallen - Sarah McLaughlin
https://youtu.be/Jqps9ZdMxs0

2. God Help The Outcasts
My favorite is God Help The Outcasts. The video from Hunchback of Notre Dame brings tears like rain, then applying the thought to our favorite Graysonian Havenites is even more solemn. Though, during the terroristic reign of StateSec, all those who opposed were outcasts.

Stunning performance delivered by the incomparable Bette Midler.
https://youtu.be/MEEpavnk7Uw

3. Elegy for Dunkirk is such a hauntingly beautiful theatrical arrangement. This particular video features an image of a lonely woman staring out into the ocean, hoping the waves will return her lover safely to her arms. Remind you of anyone, which rhymes with Eloise?
https://youtu.be/EVuRWdu_Ifg

4. Crash And Burn - Lighthouse
More of lonely lonely Elly.
https://youtu.be/TDYSMsmA_es

5. Fix You - Coldplay
Reminds me of Elly and Giscard. I can also imagine this being on the playlist of Warner Caslet and Alfredo Yu on Grayson. Homesick.
https://youtu.be/k4V3Mo61fJM

6. Shattered -Trading Yesterday
This reminds me of all the Havenite characters. But it may surprise you that, in my heart at least, it all comes back to the one, after she died, Shannon Foraker.
https://youtu.be/_hqW4odgkyo

7. Battlecry - Skillet
Elly and Giscard. But even better, the very missed Esther McQueen singing to her beloved Republic from her heart.
https://youtu.be/kmWAhunhZJc

https://youtu.be/sz35pTMJOWM
The entire bleeding hearts of the Republic. Their pooled blood is the color of peace, as we hear patriotic people sing.

Translation...
http://www.greatfrenchsongs.com/2009/04 ... du-peuple/

Why is this so hauntingly familiar?
https://youtu.be/6UgXIf9jhF4

Soooo good.
https://youtu.be/Xnhh57GmaEI

I apologize that I could not find a counterpart video to this selection, but I include a link to a site featuring his music.

12. 12. Homeland ~ Hans Zimmer
https://youtu.be/KG9HRc_TNjk

Your mixer's note is quite sentimentally charmed isn't it?

Nice! We appreciate your effort.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

This reminds me of all the Havenite characters. But it may surprise you that, in my heart at least, it all comes back to the one, after she died, Shannon Foraker.

For benefit of all who may wonder what the hell I'm talking about when I say that Shannon Foraker died. I thought I'd better clarify.

I always felt that she died. Internally. Shannon was content to live in her own little world. She was a virgin to the politics surrounding her. That StateSec "Citizen this and Citizen that" was never a part of the repertoire of the innocent little Shannon. Until! They woke her up. Then whe looked around her surroundings for the very first time and didn't like what her virgin eyes were seeing. Shannon died inside then. And many StateSec died with her. IIRC, after she woke up politically, she never missed a single elitist "Citizen" address. Perhaps she knew whe wouldn't have to for very long.

I doubt that Shannon was ever her innocent self again.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

For benefit of all who may wonder what the hell I'm talking about when I say that Shannon Foraker died. I thought I'd better clarify.

I always felt that she died. Internally. Shannon was content to live in her own little world. She was a virgin to the politics surrounding her. That StateSec "Citizen this and Citizen that" was never a part of the repertoire of the innocent little Shannon. Until! They woke her up. Then whe looked around her surroundings for the very first time and didn't like what her virgin eyes were seeing. Shannon died inside then. And many StateSec died with her. IIRC, after she woke up politically, she never missed a single elitist "Citizen" address. Perhaps she knew whe wouldn't have to for very long.

For me, that tipping point was her moment of silence on the bridge of the Count Tilly as she massaged her sensors to see the fleeing trails of 2 assault shuttles entering the atmosphere of Hades while everyone else stared blindly into the explosion of the Tepes...

...and she hesitated. The Tac Witch who always called it as it was,the yyoung officer blind to the politics and "niceties" around her, the Lt. who wasn't afraid to contradict an Admiral because she KNEW the truth, hesitated. Duty, Honor, Rightenous - suddenly, they were more than just words. It was no longer just a job. In that moment, she finally saw her place in the big picture, like a child suddenly realizing they had been sitting at the adult's table for years and never realizing it until now.

And Tourville's presence deepened the rut, for looking over her shoulder, he saw what she had seen. She was paralyzed, she couldn't mention it and betray her former commander and the people whose honor had protected her in the past, yet the admiral's presence demanded she must do her duty. And in that deep moment of unspoken volumes, he reached past her and pressed the button deleting all the proof that Honor aand Warner had survived - And she realized from his lead that there should be far more than simple duty to her job.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by cthia   » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

Theemile wrote:For me, that tipping point was her moment of silence on the bridge of the Count Tilly as she massaged her sensors to see the fleeing trails of 2 assault shuttles entering the atmosphere of Hades while everyone else stared blindly into the explosion of the Tepes...

...and she hesitated. The Tac Witch who always called it as it was,the yyoung officer blind to the politics and "niceties" around her, the Lt. who wasn't afraid to contradict an Admiral because she KNEW the truth, hesitated. Duty, Honor, Rightenous - suddenly, they were more than just words. It was no longer just a job. In that moment, she finally saw her place in the big picture, like a child suddenly realizing they had been sitting at the adult's table for years and never realizing it until now.

And Tourville's presence deepened the rut, for looking over her shoulder, he saw what she had seen. She was paralyzed, she couldn't mention it and betray her former commander and the people whose honor had protected her in the past, yet the admiral's presence demanded she must do her duty. And in that deep moment of unspoken volumes, he reached past her and pressed the button deleting all the proof that Honor aand Warner had survived - And she realized from his lead that there should be far more than simple duty to her job.

Excellent Theemile. You better watch it, or I'll be begging you to write more of a thesis on our little Shannon!

She was certainly out of the political closet when she made the decision to do the right thing "morally." Goose bumps.

Post by roseandheather   » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:29 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

In the wake of the horrific attacks in Paris on Friday, I thought it might be fitting to bump this up with a fresh download link. This mix was made for the Republic of Haven - and, in a way, for the United States of America - but it was also made for France, because Marianne - the living representation of France herself - survives in Haven, and so does the strength, courage, and unflagging endurance of the French people.

Ma mère est parisienne; je suis américaine, mais je suis aussi française. Mais en ce moment, nous sommes tous français. En ce moment, nous sommes tous parisien.

Vive la République. Et vive la France.

Download "Athens of the Stars"
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:09 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

This is now, officially, my 2000th post on this forum. :mrgreen:

I haven't updated the download link for this in awhile, and there's been quite a few new people who joined this board since the last time I did, so I figured that I'd update it now as a celebration of said 2000th post (wow!!) and of the 25th anniversary of the series as a whole. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD HERE
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

To Rose... in honor of Allen Higgins who surely must have moved to a city named California. Someone, please buy that man an umbrella...

It Never Rains In Southern California
Albert Hammond

Got on board a westbound seven forty-seven
Didn't think before deciding what to do
Oh, that talk of opportunities, TV breaks and movies
Rang true, sure rang true
Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It never rains in California, but girl, don't they warn ya?
It pours, man, it pours
Out of work, I'm out of my head
Out of self respect, I'm out of bread
I'm underloved, I'm underfed, I want to go home
It pours, man, it pours
Will you tell the folks back home I nearly made it?
Had offers but didn't know which one to take
Please don't tell 'em how you found me
Don't tell 'em how you found me
Gimme a break, give me a break
Seems it never rains in southern California
Seems I've often heard that kind of talk before
It pours, man, it pours

Return to Honorverse