Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 11 guests

Is David Weber a Trump supporter?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Re: Is David Weber a Trump supporter?
Post by smr   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:10 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Look mom I famous! :lol: By the way, Donald is his own worst enemy if the left would just let life play out. The result would be a new President in 2020. Congratulations to Nimitz because TheE hates I mean loves you.

The E wrote:
cthia wrote:I don't think anyone is a 'Trump Supporter' anymore. The Don just makes it darn phucking hard to love him. Even his own wife doesn't seem to want to hold his hand anymore. All of the Trump Supporters in the beginning of the election are simply trying to hold on for dear life, hoping... 'this too shall pass.'

They're all practicing damage control! "Let's just hope we're still breathing at the end of all of this."

Have you not noticed smr and Nimitz1923AD in these very forums? It doesn't seem to me as if they are hoping that the Trump era will be allowed to pass....
Post by Fireflair   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

isaac_newton wrote:
Fireflair wrote:I think the most pointed case that stood out to me was in Ringo's Ghost series where they know terrorists are going to attack Disney in Florida. By profiling people his characters are able to avert disaster. In cases like that it's the results that matter, not the methods because it saves untold numbers of lives. But too many arm chair theorists and right's activists in the US would let horrible things happen in the name of doing things the 'right' way.

ummmm - not sure it's valid to use a fictional story to prove what will/wont happen in real life!

It's not so much that I'm trying to prove anything, but it's the concept brought up in the story. Having been out there and done my part, I've seen any number of times were regulations inplaced by people who will never deal with the problem personally have caused problems.

I've personally seen the results of arm chair analysts from offices on high trying to direct things, and the results coming off very badly. They often direct matters as they choose because of political reasons which have and can bite us all.
Post by ywing14   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I agree with you there Fireflair, and then later one when they are trying to cover themselves they look to blame you for the fact they ignored your warnings all along.
Post by Annachie   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:10 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

When you think about it, the big bad evil bastard from the Safehold series is named Clinton.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by noblehunter   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:06 pm

noblehunter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Annachie wrote:When you think about it, the big bad evil bastard from the Safehold series is named Clinton.

Except he sounds a lot like Trump. And there's commentary about whether or not God is on the side that's intolerant, lies habitually, and tortures its opponents. I think there must be a fair amount of cognitive dissonance to be both a fan of Safehold and a Trump supporter.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:21 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

I don't pretend to be able to read our host's mind.

However, I really doubt that Mr. Weber believes in perfect people or perfect candidates for public office.

As I mentioned in the Honorverse conference (Soul of Haven thread), David Weber saw Haven as a US gone terribly wrong.

When we read the back-story for Haven, the thing that jumps out to me is that the policies that killed Haven were policies supported by the modern Democratic Party in the US.

So I suspect (but can't know) that when it came time to vote in the last Presidential election, Mr Weber looked at the policies that Hillary Clinton supported and looked at the policies that Donald Trump supported.

And voted according to which policies he supported.

Oh, for the all the rhetoric pushed by the Democrats and the News Media, I personally don't see Donald Trump as Racist.

Of course, I don't know (and can't know) what Mr. Weber thinks of Donald Trump, but I suspect that like a lot of people he decided against voting for Hillary Clinton.

In any case, I don't care what Politics an author has or what candidates an author supports.

As far as the author's politics go, as long as the author doesn't mock and/or ridicule my personal positions all that matters is "how good is the story".
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:36 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:Oh, for the all the rhetoric pushed by the Democrats and the News Media, I personally don't see Donald Trump as Racist.

Leaving aside his long history of running afoul of charges of racism, including being sued by the Justice Department over racially discriminatory housing practices in his buildings, if I was going to extend him the absolute maximum benefit of the doubt reason would allow and grant the possibility he was not personally actually racist despite the trove of evidence to the contrary from his public statements alone, it is beyond question that he is very comfortable using racism as a tool to further his own agenda.

And frankly, I don't draw much meaningful distinction between those two things.
Post by DrakBibliophile   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 pm

DrakBibliophile
Admiral

Racism is just a word that Liberals use to say "I don't like him".

Liberals have been using that charge in cases where it isn't true for a hell of a long time.

Of course, Liberals really didn't mind Trump until he ran against the Glorious Hillary Clinton and that tells me all I need to know about "charges of racism".

gcomeau wrote:
DrakBibliophile wrote:Oh, for the all the rhetoric pushed by the Democrats and the News Media, I personally don't see Donald Trump as Racist.

Leaving aside his long history of running afoul of charges of racism, including being sued by the Justice Department over racially discriminatory housing practices in his buildings, if I was going to extend him the absolute maximum benefit of the doubt reason would allow and grant the possibility he was not personally actually racist despite the trove of evidence to the contrary from his public statements alone, it is beyond question that he is very comfortable using racism as a tool to further his own agenda.

And frankly, I don't draw much meaningful distinction between those two things.
Paul Howard (Alias Drak Bibliophile)
Sometimes The Dragon Wins! [Polite Dragon Smile]
Post by gcomeau   » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:10 pm

gcomeau
Admiral

DrakBibliophile wrote:Racism is just a word that Liberals use to say "I don't like him".

No, racism is a word liberals use to say prejudice, discrimination or hostility based on race.

Which is what Trump has shown time and time again.

Of course, Liberals really didn't mind Trump until he ran against the Glorious Hillary Clinton and that tells me all I need to know about "charges of racism".

Ummm... yeah... no.

And you happen to be speaking to someone who can't stand Hillary Clinton, as my posting history in this forum back through the election will show quite clearly.
Post by Daryl   » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:19 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

As an outsider I was amazed that out of 320 million people the US put up Clinton and Trump for the President. Random pickings off the street would have probably been better.

Return to Politics