Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Is David Weber a Trump supporter?

The Management is not responsible for the contents of this forum. Enter at your own risk.
Is David Weber a Trump supporter?
Post by commissar   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:51 am

commissar
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Just wondering... I finished all I planned to read from him so it's safe to ask this.
Re: Is David Weber a Trump supporter?
Post by Nimitz1923PD   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 am

Nimitz1923PD
Commander

commissar wrote:Just wondering... I finished all I planned to read from him so it's safe to ask this.

Does it really matter? I do not believe The Honor Harrington Series was a premeditated political gottcha

Nimitz
Post by The E   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:03 am

The E
Admiral

RFC has, to the best of my knowledge, never commented on contemporary politics in these forums.
Post by Daryl   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:34 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Totally his own business. A couple of confusing pointers though are that two of David's close fellow writers and acknowledged friends are Eric Flint (Leftish union organiser) and John Ringo (Avowed hard right).
In Safehold David does take a few potshots at Bill Clinton, but that's probably more about Bill's morals than politics.
Post by gcomeau   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:51 am

gcomeau
Admiral

My guess would be no as Trump is basically (older dumber) Pavel Young in pretty much ever aspect of his identity including the sexually predatory one... but then again Scott Adams just effectively supported the real life incarnation of the (more venal and corrupt and sleazy) Pointy Haired Boss to be president so you know, people do crazy irrational things sometimes.
Post by dscott8   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:34 am

dscott8
Commodore

I doubt it. Reasons:

* He's far too intelligent.

* His narrative of the politics in the Honorverse shows that he's aware of the sort of bullshit tactics Trump uses, and that he advocates the sort of political integrity that is foreign to Trump.

* A true Trumpster could not write convincingly of a central character who is female, and strong both physically and morally. Not to mention all of the other characters who would clash with Trump's narrow world view.

* Trump, who dodged military service, sees it as a GI Joe myth. Weber shows us the reality of political interference, pigheaded reactionaries, admin/logistical snafus, and Elvis Santinos.

* Weber's characters often have a fine sense of humor, and can even laugh at themselves. Trump is humorless, especially about himself.

Of course, RFC may pop up and totally destroy my armchair psychiatry.
Post by Fireflair   » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:56 pm

Fireflair
Captain of the List

Absolutely agree with dscott8. Coherent and thoughtful points. More over, despite his known friendships with such as Ringo (who's work I really happen to enjoy as well), I feel that his writing shows enough back and forth that he can view an over all situation with more of a moderate stand point.

I've always enjoyed Ringo's view points, both in stories and in real life, because my personal leanings are more in line with his views. I also particularly enjoy it in his writings because I've been out there on the sharp end and dealt with way way too much of the red tape political bull shit that comes down the pipe from arm chair idiots who aren't sticking their neck out.

I think the most pointed case that stood out to me was in Ringo's Ghost series where they know terrorists are going to attack Disney in Florida. By profiling people his characters are able to avert disaster. In cases like that it's the results that matter, not the methods because it saves untold numbers of lives. But too many arm chair theorists and right's activists in the US would let horrible things happen in the name of doing things the 'right' way.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I don't think anyone is a 'Trump Supporter' anymore. The Don just makes it darn phucking hard to love him. Even his own wife doesn't seem to want to hold his hand anymore. All of the Trump Supporters in the beginning of the election are simply trying to hold on for dear life, hoping... 'this too shall pass.'

They're all practicing damage control! "Let's just hope we're still breathing at the end of all of this."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by The E   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:33 am

The E
Admiral

cthia wrote:I don't think anyone is a 'Trump Supporter' anymore. The Don just makes it darn phucking hard to love him. Even his own wife doesn't seem to want to hold his hand anymore. All of the Trump Supporters in the beginning of the election are simply trying to hold on for dear life, hoping... 'this too shall pass.'

They're all practicing damage control! "Let's just hope we're still breathing at the end of all of this."

Have you not noticed smr and Nimitz1923AD in these very forums? It doesn't seem to me as if they are hoping that the Trump era will be allowed to pass....
Post by isaac_newton   » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:57 am

isaac_newton
Rear Admiral

Fireflair wrote:I think the most pointed case that stood out to me was in Ringo's Ghost series where they know terrorists are going to attack Disney in Florida. By profiling people his characters are able to avert disaster. In cases like that it's the results that matter, not the methods because it saves untold numbers of lives. But too many arm chair theorists and right's activists in the US would let horrible things happen in the name of doing things the 'right' way.

ummmm - not sure it's valid to use a fictional story to prove what will/wont happen in real life!

Return to Politics