Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests

Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn

This fascinating series is a combination of historical seafaring, swashbuckling adventure, and high technological science-fiction. Join us in a discussion!
Re: Assasination of Ehdwyrd Howsmyn
Post by ywing14   » Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 pm

ywing14
Captain (Junior Grade)

I believe he is a worthwhile target but he'd be difficult to get to. First, towards the point where he'd come to the attention of the church the Temple Loyalist population was small. Second, the people who Ehdwyrd associates with wouldn't are of a difference mindset than temple loyalists so just encountering people would be rare. Third, I think timing would be a huge factor. It would take forever to get someone from the Temple Lands to Delthak to try and kill him.
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:03 pm

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

I re-read several of the books in the Safehold series and found that, one of the one of the Dukes bullies who were on their way to Lady K (check the sunrise at the camp just before the iron clad opens up fire)the phrase golden rope was used but... I really came to this page today because someone had a new post and I was alerted... not to pick on the rope. ;-)

oyohan wrote:
C. O. Thompson wrote:But honestly, I think you would complain if they hung you with a golden rope. :o

Ouch. I'm not complaining... I've reread the series a dozen times. I'm just wondering if there's something I'm missing. I also forgot to mention the assassination attempts on Eastshare and Greenvalley referenced in AtSoT. And I believe the accurate quote is a "new" rope.
Just my 2 ₡ worth
Post by n7axw   » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:35 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

I think the expression is that "you'd complain if they hung you with a golden rope."

The response is "only if the knot is tied wrong." That one is found in March to the Stars in a exchange between Prince Roger and the commander of the Bronze, Captain Pahner.

The scene you are looking for is toward the end of AtSoT and is part of the story where Rock Coast, Black Horse have their conspiracy come unglued. I don't remember the exact quote from that context. But it comes right before the ironclad wipes out the force Black Horse has marching on Cheshyr (sp).

Don

-
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.
Post by Louis R   » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:38 am

Louis R
Rear Admiral

A bit of research suggests that the older version is 'new', but I suspect that it's actually more a regional variation. Perhaps fueled by people forgetting that things like good rope were once rather costly purchases, not acquired casually.

n7axw wrote:I think the expression is that "you'd complain if they hung you with a golden rope."

< snip >

Don

-
Post by C. O. Thompson   » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:08 am

C. O. Thompson
Captain of the List

Well, the older may have been new rope but now we treat the criminals better ;)

Louis R wrote:A bit of research suggests that the older version is 'new', but I suspect that it's actually more a regional variation. Perhaps fueled by people forgetting that things like good rope were once rather costly purchases, not acquired casually.

n7axw wrote:I think the expression is that "you'd complain if they hung you with a golden rope."

< snip >

Don

-
Just my 2 ₡ worth

Return to Safehold